Person's Distance from Shore After Moving 3m: Momentum & Center of Mass

In summary, the person started 6 m away from the shore on a 75 kg boat and walked 3 m towards the shore, causing the boat to move in the opposite direction. The person will end up 4.2 m from the shore. This is because momentum is conserved and the displacement of the person and the boat are related through their velocities. The concept of center of mass also plays a role in this scenario.
vu10758
A 50 kg person at the left end of a 75kg boat is 6 m from shore. The person walks to the other end of the boat 3m away. How far is the person from the shore now? The system center of mass fixed in space so as the person moves right, the boat moves left.

I know that the person moves 3 m to the right but how do I know how much the boat moves to the left? The answer is that the person will end up 4.2 m from shore, but how do I get there. If the person starts at 6 meter away and walks three meters towards the direction of the shore, the boat must travels a smaller distance relative to the person. This unit we're doing is on momentum and center of mass. I don't see how momentum will affect the result here, but maybe I am wrong. However, how does center of mass come into play here?

Physics news on Phys.org
take into account that weight has an affect on momentum (p = mv). I have no clue how center of mass comes to play since they don't provide any velocity. hmmm maybe the displacement you calculated is where the center of mass is? wait for other posters to confirm this

Simply use the fact that momentum is conserved, which will give you a relation between the person's and the boat's velocity, and displacement.

Related to Person's Distance from Shore After Moving 3m: Momentum & Center of Mass

1. What is Momentum and how does it relate to a person's distance from shore after moving 3m?

Momentum is the measure of an object's motion, calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. In this scenario, a person's momentum would determine how far they would travel after moving 3m.

2. How is Center of Mass relevant in this situation?

The Center of Mass is the point at which an object's mass is evenly distributed. In the context of a person's distance from shore after moving 3m, the Center of Mass would determine the balance and stability of the person's movement.

3. Can a person's distance from shore after moving 3m be accurately calculated?

Yes, a person's distance from shore after moving 3m can be calculated using the formula d = m*v*t, where d is the distance, m is the mass, v is the velocity, and t is the time.

4. What factors may affect a person's distance from shore after moving 3m?

Some factors that may affect a person's distance from shore after moving 3m include their mass, velocity, and the presence of external forces such as wind or currents.

5. How does Newton's First Law of Motion apply to a person's distance from shore after moving 3m?

According to Newton's First Law, an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. In this scenario, a person's distance from shore after moving 3m would depend on the balance of forces acting on them, as well as their initial momentum.