Personality and spending Habits, vice/versa

• Thread starter 256bits
  • Start date
In summary, this study found that spending data can predict personality traits. However, the data is noisy and the results are not very surprising.
Physics news on Phys.org
In my opinion this is more or less trivial: buy > dopamine > nucleus accumbens. And of course does behaviour under temptation display parts of the personality: risk of addiction, self control, ratio between emotional and rational behaviour and things like that. Supermarkets are arranged by this principle!

Likes DennisN and 256bits
I see this type of conclusions as rather obvious. Personality traits are derived from behavioral patterns. Thus, behavioral patterns such as spending habits can reflect personality traits.

More interesting question here is whether spending data is a high predictor or not. As the authors of the original paper state, previous predictions from Facebook likes and status updates outperformed their predictions, based on spending data. It may be related to the fact that "spending patterns (unlike social media profiles) are not necessarily an expression of an individual’s personal preferences". For example, spending can go for fixed bills or other people (e. g., children). That is why the spending data itself is rather noisy.

Likes DennisN, 256bits and fresh_42
fresh_42 said:
Supermarkets are arranged by this principle!

And the layout of IKEA stores are very telling:

s-tweets-memes-tumblr-posts-100-58d22a81e756b__700.jpg

h03BB82FF.png

...which may lead to this problem. :smile:

Likes Schwann, fresh_42, Choppy and 3 others
That is so telling of today's marketplace.

Grocery stores the same thing.
Lemon juice - where do I find it - it the cooking section, the juice section, the drink section, ... You end up touring the whole store looking and searching and being tempted, and of course succumbing on impulse.

And of course, the next time you run out and go for another, the location has changed.
I used to think in my innocent years it was change of management whereby the new one had new and improved organizational skills for product placement - and of course he/she did... as a way to get you to buy more!

Likes Bystander and DennisN
256bits said:
Grocery stores the same thing.
What I hate most is, that the goods like lettuce or fruits which have to be put on top are placed at the beginning. I often reverse my way and walk in an order that allows a reasonable packing.

Likes ChemAir, Bystander and 256bits

1. What is the link between personality and spending habits?

There is a strong correlation between personality traits and spending habits. Studies have shown that individuals who are more conscientious and organized tend to spend less and save more, while those who are more impulsive and open to new experiences tend to spend more and save less.

2. Can personality affect how much a person is willing to spend on luxury items?

Yes, personality can definitely influence a person's willingness to spend on luxury items. Extroverted and status-conscious individuals are more likely to splurge on luxury goods to impress others, while introverted and frugal individuals are less likely to prioritize luxury spending.

3. Is there a difference in spending habits between introverts and extroverts?

Introverts and extroverts tend to have different spending habits due to their varying personalities. Extroverts are more likely to spend money on socializing and trying new experiences, while introverts may prefer to save and spend on solitary activities or hobbies.

4. How do spending habits change with age and personality?

Personality and spending habits can change with age. As individuals mature, they may become more financially responsible and prioritize saving over spending. Additionally, certain personality traits may become more prominent with age, leading to changes in spending habits.

5. Can personality traits be used to predict future spending habits?

While personality traits can give some insight into a person's spending habits, it is not a foolproof method for predicting future behavior. Other factors such as life events, financial stability, and personal values can also play a significant role in influencing spending habits.