Interpretation of a picture

In summary, the conversation revolved around a picture that evokes different thoughts and feelings in people. While some see it as contrived, others appreciate the artistic talent behind it. Some feel a sense of eternity and desolation, while others see it as a representation of death and resurrection. The conversation also touches on the idea of looking at things from different perspectives and not being confined to pre-determined thoughts.
BlackJack
http://www.frozenwinds.com/Portal/pic_display.asp?id=55 [Broken]

What do you think, when you see this picture ? What do you feel ? Sadness or do you want to sing a song about frogs :wink: ?

Note: Hope I posted this in the right forum. Sry if it's the wrong one :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I see something contrived. Something intended to invoke a feeling of other, and greater, than self.

Hmm... mean your standing on the bottom of a hill and looking up to a ...(in this case) cross ?

Good, would you want to go near the cross or would you stay where you are ?

A belated welcome to the PFs, BlackJack :smile:.

I suppose this is more "metaphysics", but I don't think it's going to be a problem. Anyway, to answer your first question: I think that this person has some talent, as an artist. I don't really feel anything, but I can see how someone would, since it touches on more than one thing that run deep with many religious people.

To answer your second question: I don't have an inclination either way, but probably wouldn't go toward the cross merely out of lack of interest.

Originally posted by BlackJack
Hmm... mean your standing on the bottom of a hill and looking up to a ...(in this case) cross ?
No, I mean looking at the image on my monitor.

Good, would you want to go near the cross or would you stay where you are ?
If I were actually witnessing this in person I'd get over to the cross as quickly as possible so I could take part in the unusual event.

Nice, picture. The cross evoked no religous response from me, but the surrounding picture was excellent and the longer I looked the more I was absorbed into it and would like to look out over that land. The more I did that the more attachment I would feel, then the cross would have value once again.

I'm inclined to go with BoulderHead and say that it's too contrived. Have seen too many pictures like it before, and this one has little or nothing to add. However, one thing did occur to me, that the Father in Heaven, indeed the one that we've all come to know and love (through such pictorials), must be closely affiliated with the sun. Which is to say, the sun represents the one static element (God), by which everything is allowed to evolve on Earth (in accordance with evolution).

A belated welcome to the PFs, BlackJack

well, I posted quite a lot before but then the forum changed. So I lost all my posts :smile:

We all know that aliens are atheists, but it seems kinda over the top to toast crucifixes like that.

Every silver lining has a big dark cloud in the middle of it?
I feel... annoyed, mostly. I want to remove the clouds, and strip away the exclusivity symbolised by the ray.

Good artistic talent.
Some how the picture was touching, yet has no effect. Odd
[?]

We all know that aliens are atheists, but it seems kinda over the top to toast crucifixes like that.

... lool
Good one. I know that the ... alien beam is a bight to bright. Hmm let's take bit of energy away. :smile:

Well, looking at the picture I felt eternity, like I am an outside visitor. I know, it is called soldier's grave, but for me it symbolized the death of humankind and all life forms except plants.

The bare twigs in front and trees in the distance with bare branches, the dark gloomy light and the cross, symbolize for me an image which has been undisturbed for eras.

Tranquility and desolation are the words..

To me it seems like something good and kind died by sinister means in that forest when it was lush, the forest died by the same force that killed whatever is represented by the cross or was killed as a result of what the cross represents dying. The light to me seems to be resurrecting whatever was killed to go and get some vengence a la "The Crow".

Originally posted by BlackJack
http://www.frozenwinds.com/Portal/pic_display.asp?id=55 [Broken]

What do you think, when you see this picture ? What do you feel ? Sadness or do you want to sing a song about frogs :wink: ?

Note: Hope I posted this in the right forum. Sry if it's the wrong one :smile:

Giving just TWO 'pre-suggestive' statements and asking one to make a choice is confining the observer to your line of thought?.

Psychoanalytic pre-determination?

I placed a photo here:http://groups.msn.com/Youcanseehomefromhere/doppler.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=67 [Broken]

which I obtained from a student the moment it became available on the internet, but what I actually seen was this:http://groups.msn.com/Youcanseehomefromhere/doppler.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=68 [Broken]

just by rotating it 90%, but when I returned and showed this next image to the student I was really trying to invoke him to always look from a different angle, another perspective?.

You can make numerous(complex) interpretations of anything from a picture and its Archetypal meaning? to invoving the collective consciousness of a free thinking observer, but this would have to be given without a 'Pre-determined' paramiter such as in your original link.

What I thought is, IMAGE..PRE-DETERMINED THOUGHTS..SWERVE STRAIGHT?
Later I could see that there is another image which I could not zoom into, just to the right of the bottom of the cross, maybe a lost soul?..maybe a fallen christian soldier?

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the purpose of interpreting a picture?

The purpose of interpreting a picture is to gain a deeper understanding of the image and its meaning. It involves analyzing the visual elements, symbolism, and context of the picture to uncover its intended message or theme.

What are the key elements to consider when interpreting a picture?

The key elements to consider when interpreting a picture include composition, color, lighting, and perspective. Other important factors may include the subject matter, style, and cultural or historical context of the image.

How can interpretations of a picture vary among different individuals?

Interpretations of a picture can vary among different individuals due to personal experiences, cultural background, and individual perspectives. Each person may bring their own biases and prior knowledge to their interpretation of the image, resulting in different understandings of its meaning.

Why is it important to consider the artist's intent when interpreting a picture?

Considering the artist's intent is important because it can provide valuable insight into the meaning of the picture. The artist may have intended to convey a specific message or emotion through their use of visual elements, and understanding this can enhance the interpretation of the picture.

How can interpreting a picture contribute to our understanding of the world?

Interpreting a picture can contribute to our understanding of the world by allowing us to analyze and reflect on societal, cultural, and historical issues. It can also help us to develop critical thinking skills and empathy as we consider different perspectives and interpretations of the image.