Permutations of n taken r at a time

In summary, the conversation discusses solving two problems, one involving a cubic equation and the other involving permutations. The first problem can be solved through trial and error, while the second one can be approached by noting that r must be less than 5.
PiRsq
How can I solve these two problems?

P(n,3)=210 and P(5,r)=20

For the first one I got up to n(n-1)(n-2)=210 but I don't know how to solve a cubic equation...And the second one I have no clue. I'd appreciate some help, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Trial and error; there are very few possibilities. :smile:

Wow, its that simple? Is there any way to calculate an answer for a cubic equation?

There's a general formula for the cubic equation, and also for the quadric equation. On the contrary Abel showed there is no general formula to solve the quintic equation (or higher) and Galois showed why, inventing group theory in the process.

I see, thanks

You can "speed up" the trial-and-error process a little by noting that, since n, n-1, and n-2 are about the same, the problem is "close to" n3= 210. 53= 125 and 63= 216 so start trying with n-1= 6.
As for P(5,r)= 20, you know that r must be less than 5 so: P(5,0)= 1 (Of course, didn't really need to try that), P(5,1)= 5 (again "of course"), P(5,2)= 20!

Related to Permutations of n taken r at a time

1. What is the formula for calculating permutations of n taken r at a time?

The formula for calculating permutations of n taken r at a time is n! / (n-r)!, where n is the total number of items and r is the number of items chosen.

2. How is permutation different from combination?

Permutation refers to the arrangement of a set of items in a specific order, while combination refers to the selection of a subset of items without considering the order.

3. Can the number of permutations be greater than the total number of items?

No, the number of permutations cannot be greater than the total number of items. This is because permutations are created by rearranging the same set of items, so the total number of permutations will always be equal to or less than the total number of items.

4. Can repetition occur in permutations?

It depends on the specific problem. In some cases, repetition is allowed and in others, it is not. For example, in a lock combination, repetition is not allowed, but in a lottery, repetition is possible.

5. How can permutations be used in real-life situations?

Permutations can be used to solve various real-life problems, such as determining the number of possible outcomes in a game of chance, creating unique arrangements for events or ceremonies, and creating secure passwords or combinations for locks.