Explaining 4 Graphs About Wing Sections

• Thread starter Veer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphs
In summary, the conversation is about someone asking for an explanation of four graphs regarding wing sections. The graphs show the distribution of lift over a wing, and some of the terms used include coefficient of lift, chord length, and average chord length. The conversation also mentions a book as a reference and the reason for the area under the graph equaling 1.
Veer
hello

Im new to the forum i hope u guys can help :)

I was wondering if u can explain these 4 graphs to me:

In the attachment thanks.

Its about has wing sections.

sorry about the rubbish quality of the pic the attachment size is too small.

:frown:

Attachments

• wing22.jpg
    wing22.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 561
Physics news on Phys.org
damn its impossible to read sorry :frown:

What are the units on the axes?

If you could double the size of the pic, I might be able to read it.

It won't allow me to make the picture bigger.

Attachments

• wing123.doc
    29.5 KB · Views: 380
I'm not going to be too much help...

CL is the coefficient of lift. I don't know what the WFP or L on them mean.

c is usually the chord length, the distance from leading edge to trailing edge. I don't know what c bar means. Average chord length of the wing, maybe?

Do you know anything else about the graphs? Where did you get them from?

its a graph for lift distribution over a wing.

The W=Wing, F=Fuel, P=Pod.

What i wanted is a precise explanation of the graph like where the figures on the axis came from. But i can't seem to find it.

Thnx for ur help.

I'm shooting from the hip here, so take it with a grain of salt.

I'm referring to: Fundamentals of Aerodynamics by John D. Anderson on p 20/21 and 367. I have used the book, but my classes focused on nozzle flow, not wing flow.

2y/b is your distance along the wing. 'b' is the wingspan, and 'y' is the distance from the center of the plane. When you're at the tip, y = b/2, so nu will be 1.

My guess is that the Y axis is a measurement of lift per unit span, although it's in a form I've never seen before. I'm guessing, but I think the c/c_bar term is the ratio of chord length to average chord length (just from standard terminology). This would give you 0 at the tips, and a number greater than 1 at the root. c_bar may be root chord length. That would seem to make more sense to me, anyway.

The CLL/CLWFP I'm not sure. Maybe CLL is the lift coefficient of the entire plane, and CLWFP is the lift coefficient of just the wing?

It sort of makes sense. For a constant lift coefficient per unit span and dynamic pressure, lift per unit span is a function of chord length alone.

I don't know the reason for making it so bass-ackwards if that's what it is showing, though.

Any chance you could contact the person who gave you the graph to find out for sure?

Last edited:
Thanks itwas very helpfull

Would u know why the area under that whole graph will =1 by any chance. Is there a reason for this.

Thankyou very much for taking the time to answer this.

:smile:

If you take the lift per unit length as a function of distance along the wing, and integrate over the entire wing, then of course your total lift will be the same as the lift of the entire wing.

If you then divide by the total lift, you'll normalize your numbers to make 'total lift' = 1.

My guess is that they've just done that with coefficient of lift instead of lift, and thrown the chord length in there as well to give you fraction of total lift as a function of distance.

1. What are wing sections?

Wing sections, also known as airfoil sections, are the cross-sectional shape of an airplane wing. They are designed to produce lift and provide stability during flight.

2. How are wing sections measured?

Wing sections are typically measured by their chord length, which is the distance from the leading edge to the trailing edge of the wing. This measurement is usually expressed as a percentage of the wingspan.

3. What do the four graphs about wing sections show?

The four graphs about wing sections show the variations in lift, drag, lift-to-drag ratio, and pressure distribution across the wing at different angles of attack. These graphs are important for understanding the performance of different wing sections and their impact on flight.

4. How do wing sections affect aircraft performance?

Wing sections play a crucial role in determining an aircraft's performance, including its lift, drag, and stability. The shape and design of a wing section can also impact an aircraft's speed, fuel efficiency, and maneuverability.

5. What are the different types of wing sections?

There are several types of wing sections, including symmetrical, cambered, and asymmetrical airfoils. Each type has its own unique shape and characteristics, which can be optimized for different flight conditions and purposes.