Periodicity of Inverse Trigonometric Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding recurring values for trigonometric functions. The person is struggling with how to get the equations associated with a given value and how to actually find all of the values. The book provides equations for radians but does not explain how to work them. The person asks for help in understanding how to list solutions in degrees for a specific problem. The solution involves thinking about the angles for which the cosine function equals 1/2 and recognizing the pattern that all arguments will be of the form 60 + n*360 or 300 + n*360. The person expresses understanding and gratitude for the explanation.
Liger20

Homework Statement

My problem from before has been more or less resolved, but now I have a new, bigger problem. I need to figure out how to find recuring values for trig functions. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to

1. Get the equations associated with a given value for the trig functions
2. Actually finding all of those values.

This is a problem for me because I can tell that this is a critical concept.

Homework Equations

My book gives me these equations for radians: x=30+360n or x=150+360n
For radians: pi/6+2piN or 5pi/6+2piN. The book goes into little detail as to how to work these equations, and I would very much appreciate it if someone could tell me how to work them.

The Attempt at a Solution

One problem reads: List the solutions in degrees: cos^-1(1/2)= 60 (degrees), 300, 420, 660, 780, 1020, and I have absolutely no idea how they came up with that answer. Like I said before, I would really appreciate it if someone could help me with this, and please tell me if I should clarify any part of what I'm asking.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about it the other way around: What are all the angle measures (in degrees) for which the cosine of that angle is 1/2?

There are going to be two angles in each 360 degree full circle, so (in degrees),
.5 = cos(60) = cos(300) = cos(360 + 60) = cos(360 + 300) = cos(720 + 60) = cos(720 + 300) = ...

All of the cosine function arguments are of the form 60 + n*360 or 300 + n*360, where n is an integer. (I have shown them for nonnegative integers n, but the pattern applies also to negative integers.

Whoa, that just clicked beautifully. THANK YOU! I'm pretty sure I understand what I'm doing now.

Liger20 said:
Whoa, that just clicked beautifully. THANK YOU! I'm pretty sure I understand what I'm doing now.

You're welcome!

Related to Periodicity of Inverse Trigonometric Functions

What is the periodicity of inverse trigonometric functions?

The periodicity of inverse trigonometric functions refers to the pattern of repetition in their values. In other words, it is the interval at which the function repeats itself.

Are inverse trigonometric functions always periodic?

Yes, inverse trigonometric functions are always periodic. This means that their values will repeat themselves after a certain interval.

What is the period of inverse trigonometric functions?

The period of inverse trigonometric functions depends on the specific function. For example, the period of the inverse sine function is 2π, while the period of the inverse tangent function is π.

Do inverse trigonometric functions have a minimum or maximum value?

Inverse trigonometric functions do not have a minimum or maximum value. Their range is limited by the domain of the original trigonometric function.

Can the period of inverse trigonometric functions be changed?

Yes, the period of inverse trigonometric functions can be changed by modifying the amplitude or frequency of the original trigonometric function. This will result in a change in the interval at which the inverse function repeats itself.