Periodic potential - energy bands

In summary, the conversation discusses the treatment of the Schrodinger equation and the potential energy part of Hamiltonian. The potential energy is represented by a trigonometric function and there are questions about whether this will lead to energy bands as eigenvalues solutions. The potential is not considered periodic in the traditional sense, but can lead to band structures depending on the constraints of the wave function. The conversation also explores the differences between the variables x and theta and how they can be interchangeable in certain cases.
Konte
Hello everybody,

I have some questions about treatment of Schrodinger equation where ## \hat{V}(\theta)##, the potential energy part of Hamiltonian ##\hat{H}=\hat{T}(\theta)+\hat{V}(\theta)## is a trigonometric function like:
##\hat{V}(\theta) = a sin(\theta)##
or
##\hat{V}(\theta) = a cos(\theta)+ b sin(c\theta)## where ##\theta## is an angular variable.
I read something in solid-state physics that a system which evolve inside a periodical potential ends up with energy bands as eigenvalues solutions.

Do I have the same case here, with those two examples of potential energy?
In other words, will I obtain energy band too, even here I have nothing to do with lattice nor crystals?

Thank you everybody.

Konte

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't think so. The potential is just a step function, the height of which depends on the direction.

Likes Konte
Interesting potential. For a=b and c = 3.4 Wolfram Alpha will plot your function,

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot+y+=+cos(theta)+++sin(3.4xtheta)

upload_2016-10-31_3-31-20.png

Change c.

Likes Konte
The potential would be easier to follow with vectors. Is that from a point or repeats or?

Sorry I need more spatial information. What am I missing?

Likes Konte
Konte said:
Hello everybody,

I have some questions about treatment of Schrodinger equation where ## \hat{V}(\theta)##, the potential energy part of Hamiltonian ##\hat{H}=\hat{T}(\theta)+\hat{V}(\theta)## is a trigonometric function like:
##\hat{V}(\theta) = a sin(\theta)##
or
##\hat{V}(\theta) = a cos(\theta)+ b sin(c\theta)## where ##\theta## is an angular variable.

That's not a periodic potential. When people call a potential periodic, what they mean is that there is some vector [itex]\vec{\delta r}[/itex] such that [itex]V(\vec{r} + \vec{\delta r}) = V(\vec{r})[/itex]. For example, in one dimension, if the potential looks like this: [itex]V(x) = a cos(kx)[/itex], then [itex]V(x+\frac{2\pi}{k}) = V(x)[/itex]

The potential [itex]V = a sin(\theta)[/itex] isn't periodic in this sense. Yes, [itex]V(\theta + 2 \pi) = V(\theta)[/itex], but the angle [itex]\theta + 2\pi[/itex] is the same angle as [itex]\theta[/itex].

Likes Konte and houlahound
Thanks everybody for all of your answers.

houlahound said:
The potential would be easier to follow with vectors. Is that from a point or repeats or?

Sorry I need more spatial information. What am I missing?

To be clear, it's about an angular (thus periodic) potential that can hinder a quantum rotor.

As an example, I show here the case of ## \hat{V}(\theta)\,=\, 3\,-\,sin(7\,\theta)##.
sin7x.png

stevendaryl said:
That's not a periodic potential. When people call a potential periodic, what they mean is that there is some vector [itex]\vec{\delta r}[/itex] such that [itex]V(\vec{r} + \vec{\delta r}) = V(\vec{r})[/itex]. For example, in one dimension, if the potential looks like this: [itex]V(x) = a cos(kx)[/itex], then [itex]V(x+\frac{2\pi}{k}) = V(x)[/itex]

The potential [itex]V = a sin(\theta)[/itex] isn't periodic in this sense. Yes, [itex]V(\theta + 2 \pi) = V(\theta)[/itex], but the angle [itex]\theta + 2\pi[/itex] is the same angle as [itex]\theta[/itex].

So the word "periodic" has two different senses, that I want to understand. However, it stays really blurred for me. In looking at the case of one dimension as you shown, mathematically, we cannot make a difference between:

## V(x) = a cos(kx) ## and ## V(\theta) = a cos(n \theta)##, since ##\theta## and ##x## are dummies variables.

So I am troubled when the first gives band structure and the second doesn't.

Thank you much.

Konte

Konte said:
## V(x) = a cos(kx) ## and ## V(\theta) = a cos(n \theta)##, since ##\theta## and ##x## are dummies variables.

[itex]x[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex] are not interchangeable, though, so they aren't completely "dummy variables". In 1-D quantum mechanics, it is assumed that space is described by a coordinate [itex]x[/itex] that runs from [itex]-\infty[/itex] to [itex]+\infty[/itex]. In contrast, the angular variable [itex]\theta[/itex] runs from [itex]-\pi[/itex] to [itex]+\pi[/itex], and the point [itex]\theta = -\pi[/itex] is identified with the point [itex]\theta = +\pi[/itex]. These differences lead to different constraints on the wave function. In terms of [itex]x[/itex], it must be the case that [itex]lim_{x \rightarrow \pm \infty} \psi(x) = 0[/itex]. In terms of [itex]\theta[/itex], it must be the case that [itex]\psi(\theta) = \psi(\theta + 2\pi)[/itex]. So they are very different types of variables, and they have different consequences.

On the other hand, if you demand that EVERYTHING be periodic in [itex]x[/itex] with period [itex]L[/itex]---the wave function, the potential, everything---then the distinction disappears; In that case you can identify [itex]x[/itex] with the angular variable [itex]\theta = \frac{2\pi x}{L}[/itex].

Likes Konte
stevendaryl said:
[itex]x[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex] are not interchangeable, though, so they aren't completely "dummy variables". In 1-D quantum mechanics, it is assumed that space is described by a coordinate [itex]x[/itex] that runs from [itex]-\infty[/itex] to [itex]+\infty[/itex]. In contrast, the angular variable [itex]\theta[/itex] runs from [itex]-\pi[/itex] to [itex]+\pi[/itex], and the point [itex]\theta = -\pi[/itex] is identified with the point [itex]\theta = +\pi[/itex]. These differences lead to different constraints on the wave function. In terms of [itex]x[/itex], it must be the case that [itex]lim_{x \rightarrow \pm \infty} \psi(x) = 0[/itex]. In terms of [itex]\theta[/itex], it must be the case that [itex]\psi(\theta) = \psi(\theta + 2\pi)[/itex]. So they are very different types of variables, and they have different consequences.

On the other hand, if you demand that EVERYTHING be periodic in [itex]x[/itex] with period [itex]L[/itex]---the wave function, the potential, everything---then the distinction disappears; In that case you can identify [itex]x[/itex] with the angular variable [itex]\theta = \frac{2\pi x}{L}[/itex].

Ok, thanks a lot.

Related to Periodic potential - energy bands

1. What is a periodic potential?

A periodic potential is a type of potential energy that varies periodically in space. It is often used to model the interactions between atoms in a crystalline solid.

2. How does a periodic potential create energy bands?

A periodic potential creates energy bands by causing the energy levels of electrons to split into multiple levels. This splitting occurs due to the periodicity of the potential, which causes waves to interfere constructively and destructively, resulting in different energy levels.

3. What is the significance of energy bands in materials?

Energy bands are significant in materials because they determine the electronic properties of the material. The number and distribution of energy bands can affect the electrical conductivity, optical properties, and other characteristics of a material.

4. How do energy bands affect the behavior of electrons in a material?

Energy bands affect the behavior of electrons by determining the allowed energy states that electrons can occupy. Electrons can only occupy energy states within the energy bands, and their movement between these states can result in the material exhibiting different properties, such as electrical conductivity.

5. Can energy bands be manipulated in materials?

Yes, energy bands can be manipulated in materials through various methods, such as doping or applying an external electric field. These manipulations can change the number and distribution of energy bands, altering the electronic properties of the material.