Performing MLEM with Response Matrix for 4pi Imager and 1x3 Vector Input

• A
  • Thread starter a.glick
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the conversation discusses using a response matrix for a 4pi imager to perform MLEM, with dimensions of (16 x 16 x 18) x (72 x 36) for Observation Bins x Source Bins. The individual is trying to use MLEM to create an image by inputting a 1x3 vector of det1, det2, and theta, but is unsure how to do the MLEM iteration in this case. More information and a description of MLEM and 4pi kinematic imaging would be helpful for obtaining answers to their questions.
a.glick
TL;DR Summary
I am studying 4pi kinematic imaging with a neutron scatter camera and want to perform MLEM given det1, det2, and theta values for my cones.
I have a response matrix for my 4pi imager to perform MLEM that has dimensions:

(16 x 16 x 18) x (72 x 36) which is Observation Bins x Source Bins.

I'm told that I can use MLEM to create an image by feeding in a 1x3 vector of

det1, det2, theta

into the MLEM algorithm. Where det1, det2 are the 2 detectors a particle interacts with in the kinematic imaging and theta is the opening angle of a cone of probability for the particle's incident direction. However every paper I've read says I need a vectorized image (or simple backprojection) that has a 1 x (72 x 36) dimensional form. How can I do the MLEM iteration in my case?

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll have a much better chance of getting answers to your questions if you provide more information.
  • What is MLEM? We shouldn't need to do a search to find what this algorithm is. A link to a description of this algorithm would be helpful.
  • What is 4pi kinematic imaging?

Likes WWGD

Related to Performing MLEM with Response Matrix for 4pi Imager and 1x3 Vector Input

1. What is MLEM and how does it relate to the 4pi Imager and 1x3 Vector Input?

MLEM stands for Maximum Likelihood Expectation Maximization and is an iterative algorithm used for image reconstruction in nuclear medicine. It is commonly used with response matrix techniques to improve the accuracy and resolution of images. The 4pi Imager and 1x3 Vector Input are specific tools and methods used in MLEM to reconstruct images with a 4pi geometry and a 1x3 vector input for data processing.

2. How does the response matrix improve the accuracy of MLEM reconstruction?

The response matrix is a mathematical representation of the physical processes involved in image formation. It takes into account factors such as the detector response, attenuation, and scatter, which can affect the accuracy of image reconstruction. By using the response matrix in MLEM, these factors are accounted for and the resulting image is more accurate and precise.

3. What is the significance of using a 4pi geometry in MLEM reconstruction?

The 4pi geometry refers to a full solid angle of 4π steradians, which is the entire space surrounding an object. In nuclear medicine, this geometry is used to capture all possible angles and positions of the gamma rays emitted from the patient. By using a 4pi geometry in MLEM reconstruction, the resulting image is more complete and provides a more accurate representation of the patient's anatomy.

4. How is a 1x3 vector input used in MLEM reconstruction?

A 1x3 vector input refers to a set of three values that represent the initial estimate of the image, the measured data, and the response matrix. These values are used in the MLEM algorithm to iteratively reconstruct the image. The vector input is essential in the MLEM process as it helps to improve the accuracy and convergence of the final image.

5. Can MLEM with response matrix be used in other imaging modalities?

Yes, MLEM with response matrix can be used in other imaging modalities such as positron emission tomography (PET) and single-photon emission computed tomography (SPECT). These techniques also involve the use of response matrix methods to improve the accuracy of image reconstruction. However, the specific parameters and inputs may differ depending on the imaging modality and the desired outcome.

Back