Percetange of lefties in mathematics?

• Thread starter Matt Jacques
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential correlation between left-handedness and mathematical ability. The participants share their observations that there may be a higher proportion of left-handed individuals who excel in mathematics compared to the general population. However, they also note that this may not be a definitive link and that other factors, such as musical and sporting talents, can also play a role. They also mention the possibility of being ambidextrous and the advantages and disadvantages of being left-handed in different activities. Overall, the participants agree that hand dominance does not determine one's abilities, especially in mathematics.

Are you left or right handed?

• Left Handed

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Right Handed

Votes: 11 78.6%

• Total voters
Matt Jacques
I'm just wondering, is the split between lefties and righties in mathematics proportional to the population?

Physics news on Phys.org
In my experience there are a greater proportion of good undergraduate mathematicians that are left handed than one would assume if lefthandness were independent of mathematical competence (to a certain level). A discrepancy that seems to roughly accord, on a very small sample, to those who are better than average musically, and sportingly. Yet I also would contend that there are no more musically adept mathematicians than one would expect in any sample of a well educated population, and a damn sight fewer sportingly talented.

I have also noticed that, given the previous paragraph, there are fewer lefthanded lecturers than one might suppose, but then the sample becomes even less reliable than before.

Does it count if I'm a righty, but I do some tasks better left-handed? :smile:

(I'm of the opinion that I would be ambidextrous if I practiced things equally with both hands)

I can play ping pong left-handed, does that count? And it was also reported in the local newspaper that I'm a lefty (even though I'm not), so that's got to count for something.

Lefties might have an advantage because of their lefty complex, i.e. they have to prove to the arrogant righties that ridicule and shun them.

In sports, on the other hand, they have a distinct advantage because you have to find a lefty in order to practice with a lefty, and their spins and stuff typically go the wrong way. You just get so used to seeing right-handed spin come at you. Except in goofy sports like bowling and golf, where they try to hit stationary objects and not other people.

cookiemonster

I'm either lefty or ambidexterous. I can write better with my left hand but I can play ALL sports better with my right.

And my math is better than the righties and the lefties at my school :)

Related to Percetange of lefties in mathematics?

1. What is the percentage of left-handed individuals in the field of mathematics?

The percentage of left-handed individuals in the field of mathematics is estimated to be around 10-15%. This is slightly higher than the overall percentage of left-handed individuals in the general population, which is around 10%.

2. Is there any correlation between left-handedness and mathematical ability?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that left-handedness is correlated with mathematical ability. While some studies have shown a slight advantage for left-handed individuals in certain spatial and mathematical tasks, the overall impact on mathematical ability is minimal.

3. Are there more left-handed mathematicians than in other fields of science?

There is no evidence to suggest that there are more left-handed mathematicians than in other fields of science. The percentage of left-handed individuals in the field of mathematics is similar to that in other fields.

4. Are there any famous left-handed mathematicians?

Yes, there are many famous left-handed mathematicians, including Albert Einstein, Alan Turing, and Paul Erdős. However, their success and contributions to the field of mathematics cannot be attributed solely to their left-handedness.

5. Is there a genetic basis for left-handedness in mathematics?

While there is evidence that genetics play a role in handedness, there is no specific genetic basis for left-handedness in mathematics. It is believed that a combination of genetic and environmental factors contribute to an individual's handedness.