Percentiles and quartiles in the same graph

In summary, the individual is considering creating a gnuplot graph with candlesticks to display the data from their dataset, which includes percentiles and quartiles. They want to see how similar the results are. The expert suggests that using a box-whisker plot may not be the best approach as it can be confusing, but combining the percentiles and quartiles in one graph is acceptable.
xeon123
I don't know where to put this question. So, I am trying in this forum.

I have this dataset [1] that contains the duration of an execution with an input size from 1.5GB to 6GB. This dataset also contains the percentile 5%, 95%, and the 1st and 3rd quartile.

I am thinking in creating a gnuplot graph with candlesticks that will contain the data of the percentiles in the whiskersbars, and the boxes will contain the 1st and 3rd quartile. My goal of gathering percentiles and quartiles is to see how much the results are similar.

Is it ok to depict in the same graph the percentiles and the quartiles?

[1] My dataset

Code:
size    duration        percentile5        1stquartile        3rdquartile        percentile95
1500    1177.31        1156.13            1090.47            1239.19            1424.83
3000    2021.48        1867.93            1440                 2317.33            3662.88
4500    3349.63        3885.14            2336.83            4376.49            4606.48
6000    3892.96        3785.14            3112.24            4790.24            5812.19

Mathematics news on Phys.org
xeon123 said:
Is it ok to depict in the same graph the percentiles and the quartiles?

Yes, of course.

Note however that if you make a box-whisker plot then you are not exactly following the usual practice of constructing it. The whiskers mean something different in a standard box-whisker plot than what you intend. So if you're presenting this to people, then perhaps using the box-whisker format is not a good idea since it is confusing. I'm sure you can come up with many other representations, like a graph of size vs duration where the different percentiles are all connected by the same line. Or using error bars...

For example:

logarithmic-data-with-outliers-with-regression-quantiles-and-least-squares.png

But yes, giving percentiles and quartiles in one plot is definitely ok.

Related to Percentiles and quartiles in the same graph

What are percentiles and quartiles?

Percentiles and quartiles are statistical measures used to describe the distribution of a set of data. They both divide the data into groups or categories based on their position or rank within the data set.

Why are percentiles and quartiles important?

Percentiles and quartiles are important because they provide information about the spread and variability of a data set, allowing scientists to better understand and analyze their data. Additionally, they can be used to compare different data sets and identify outliers that may need further investigation.

How are percentiles and quartiles calculated?

Percentiles and quartiles are calculated by first arranging the data in ascending order. Then, the percentile or quartile is determined by finding the data value that corresponds to the specified percentage or position within the data set. For example, the 50th percentile is the median, and the first quartile is the value that is greater than or equal to 25% of the data.

What is the difference between percentiles and quartiles?

The main difference between percentiles and quartiles is the way they divide the data. Percentiles divide the data into 100 equal parts, while quartiles divide the data into 4 equal parts. Additionally, percentiles can be used to compare data sets with different sample sizes, while quartiles are typically only used for data sets with a large number of data points.

How are percentiles and quartiles represented on a graph?

Percentiles and quartiles can be represented on a graph using a box-and-whisker plot. The box in the plot represents the interquartile range, with the median indicated by a line in the middle. The whiskers extend from the box to the minimum and maximum values, and any data points beyond the whiskers are considered outliers. Percentiles can also be represented as horizontal lines on the graph, with the percentage indicated on the y-axis.

Back