Percentage of antifreeze in cooling system

In summary, the recommended mixture for a 2002 Toyota Sienna's cooling system is 50/50 antifreeze and distilled water, and the system has a capacity of 10 quarts. After draining 5.7 quarts of coolant and refilling with distilled water, the resulting mixture is 21.5% antifreeze. After a second drain and refill with 1 gallon of undiluted antifreeze, the final mixture will be close to the recommended 50/50 ratio. The step-by-step calculations for this process have been confirmed to be correct.
member 534986
Our 2002 Toyota Sienna's cooling system capacity is 10 quarts (no heater). Using radiator petcock, 5.7 quarts of coolant is drained. Recommended mixture is 50/50 antifreeze and distilled water, which is what it is now before the replacement starts.

Drain-1: Refill with distilled water only. Run engine till thermostat opens + 10 minutes.
Drain-2: Refill with distilled water only. Run engine till thermostat opens + 10 minutes.
Drain-3: Refill with 1 gallon of undiluted antifreeze and 1.7 qts of distilled water.

What will the percentage of antifreeze end up being? Please show the step-by-step calculations so I can learn how to do it. Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
HRG said:
Our 2002 Toyota Sienna's cooling system capacity is 10 quarts (no heater). Using radiator petcock, 5.7 quarts of coolant is drained. Recommended mixture is 50/50 antifreeze and distilled water, which is what it is now before the replacement starts.

Drain-1: Refill with distilled water only. Run engine till thermostat opens + 10 minutes.
Drain-2: Refill with distilled water only. Run engine till thermostat opens + 10 minutes.
Drain-3: Refill with 1 gallon of undiluted antifreeze and 1.7 qts of distilled water.

What will the percentage of antifreeze end up being? Please show the step-by-step calculations so I can learn how to do it. Thanks.
At the start, the cooling system contains 5 qts. of water and 5 qts. of pure antifreeze. If you drain 5.7 qts., how much liquid remains in the system? Of that liquid, how much is pure water and how much is pure antifreeze?
Continue this analysis at each step.

BTW, is this a homework problem, or is this a question about your actual car?

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
At the start, the cooling system contains 5 qts. of water and 5 qts. of pure antifreeze. If you drain 5.7 qts., how much liquid remains in the system? Of that liquid, how much is pure water and how much is pure antifreeze?
Continue this analysis at each step.

BTW, is this a homework problem, or is this a question about your actual car?
This is my actual car.

I'm a senior citizen and way past going to school...:smile:. I'm just hoping someone will do the calculations and show me how to do it. This senior citizen never had a lot of brain power and doesn't have much of that little left in the tank..:wink:. With sample calculations, I'll be able to do them if the amount of fluid drained is different or if I do an additional cycle of drain and refill. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
First drain/refill:
Starting with 5 qts of water and 5 qts of antifreeze, if you drain 5.7 qts of liquid, 4.3 qts will remain. Even though the water and antifreeze are mixed, for the purpose of the problem, you can imagine that they are separated. Of the 4.3 qts of coolant, 2.15 qts are water and 2.15 qts are antifreeze.

If you refill the radiator with 5.7 qts of water, there will now by 5.7 + 2.15 = 7.85 qts of water and 2.15 qts of antifreeze. In this step, you've gone from a 50% mix of antifreeze and water to 21.5%.

Can you continue this analysis for the second and third drain/refill steps?

Mark44 said:
First drain/refill:
Starting with 5 qts of water and 5 qts of antifreeze, if you drain 5.7 qts of liquid, 4.3 qts will remain. Even though the water and antifreeze are mixed, for the purpose of the problem, you can imagine that they are separated. Of the 4.3 qts of coolant, 2.15 qts are water and 2.15 qts are antifreeze.

If you refill the radiator with 5.7 qts of water, there will now by 5.7 + 2.15 = 7.85 qts of water and 2.15 qts of antifreeze. In this step, you've gone from a 50% mix of antifreeze and water to 21.5%.

I calculate the final mix as 44% of antifreeze. Is that what you get?

Mark44 said:
First drain/refill:

Modifying my flush as follows:

... The mix is 21.5% antifreeze.

Drain-2: After draining 5.7 qts of coolant, the remaining 4.3 qts are at a 21.5% antifreeze mix.
... So 21.5% of 4.3 qts remaining = .93 qt is antifreeze.
... Adding 1 gallon (4 qts) of antifreeze = 4.93 qts of antifreeze.
... 4.93 qts / 10 qts total = .493 = 49.3% antifreeze.

In other words, doing 2 drains and refilling with 1 gallon antifreeze and topping off with distilled water will end up with a 49.3% antifreeze mix. Is this correct?

If correct and I since I already bought one gallon of antifreeze, then the above will end up close to the recommended 50/50 antifreeze mix. I might do the coolant flush this way since my existing coolant looks pretty red and good.

HRG said:
I calculate the final mix as 44% of antifreeze. Is that what you get?
To anyone:

I need to do the van's coolant flush shortly. Are my calculations correct?
If not, please post step-by-step calculations so I can learn how to do it.

Thanks.

Looks good to me.

Lord Crc said:
Looks good to me.
Thanks for your confirmation. I'm going to go ahead and do the coolant flush.

If anyone sees that my calculations are incorrect, please let me know so I can do it correctly next time.
HRG

Related to Percentage of antifreeze in cooling system

What is antifreeze and why is it important in a cooling system?

Antifreeze, also known as coolant, is a mixture of water and chemicals that helps regulate the temperature of an engine. It is important in a cooling system because it prevents the engine from overheating and freezing, which can cause serious damage.

How do I know the percentage of antifreeze in my cooling system?

You can determine the percentage of antifreeze in your cooling system by using a hydrometer or refractometer. These tools measure the specific gravity or refractive index of the coolant and can calculate the percentage of antifreeze based on these measurements.

What is the ideal percentage of antifreeze in a cooling system?

The ideal percentage of antifreeze in a cooling system is typically between 50-70%. This provides enough protection against freezing and overheating, while also allowing for good heat transfer and corrosion protection.

What happens if there is too much antifreeze in a cooling system?

If there is too much antifreeze in a cooling system, it can actually decrease the engine's ability to cool itself. This is because antifreeze is less efficient at transferring heat compared to water. Additionally, an excessive amount of antifreeze can cause damage to gaskets and seals.

Can I mix different types of antifreeze in my cooling system?

In general, it is not recommended to mix different types of antifreeze in a cooling system. Different types of antifreeze have different chemical compositions and can react with each other, causing damage to the cooling system. It is best to stick with one type of antifreeze recommended by the manufacturer.