Percentage error of a guess at a position, and the actual position.

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the maximum percentage error allowed when attempting to localize the position of a particle within a given volume. The formula used is (0.1^3)/(5*4*3) to determine the maximum allowed error in the x, y, and z directions. The conversation also touches on clarifying the percentage of what the error is being calculated for and the formula used to determine the margin of error. The question ultimately aims to quantify the accuracy of the localization independently from the size of the container.
CraigH
How do I calculate the percentage error between a guess of a position in 3D space, and the actual position. For example, if I am allowed an error of 100mm in the x, y, and z directions, in a 5m x 4m x 3m volume, what is the maximum percentage error allowed?

Can I just do:

[itex]\frac{100*10^{-3}^3}{5*4*3}=1.67*10^{-5}%[/itex]Is this correct? It just seems a bit small to me.

Thanks!

(0.1^3)/(5*4*3)=0.0000167%

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
max errors:
x direction 2%
y direction 2.5%
z direction 3.333...%

What is the formula you used to get your answer?
You need to further clarify percentage of what?

mathman said:
max errors:
x direction 2%
y direction 2.5%
z direction 3.333...%

What is the formula you used to get your answer?
You need to further clarify percentage of what?

Sorry I wasn't very clear in the question. I have a particle that can be anywhere within a 5m*4m*3m volume. I want to pinpoint (localise) the position of this particle down to 0.1m.

e.g

The particle is at position (4.13,2.10,2.31). If I guess the position is at (4.23,2.20,2.31), then what is the percentage error between my guess and the actual position.

I'm allowed a maximum deviation of 0.1m from the actual particle position, when the particle can be anywhere within a 5m*4m*3m room. What is this expressed as a percentage?

In my attempt I used the volume that the particle could be in 0.1m*0.1m*0.1m that satisfies the localisation, divided by the total volume of the space that the particle is inside.

Last edited:
e.g: I can pinpoint the position of a oxygen particle inside a balloon within a margin of error of 1%. What is the max (x,y,z) deviation between my guess of the particle and the actual particle if the balloon has a volume of:
a) 0.1m^3
b)1m^3

This is just an example question to try and explain what I'm asking.

I actually want to know the formula for the margin of error if I'm allowed a deviation of 0.1m,0.1m,0.1m in the x, y and z positions, for a particle within a 5m*4m*3m volume.

You keep asking for percentage of error, where a formula would be 100x/y. x is the error, y is what?

mathman said:
You keep asking for percentage of error

Margin of error might be a better term.

mathman said:
x is the error, y is what?

I guess in this case y would be the total volume of the container.

Back to my balloon example. If I had a 1% margin of error in a 1m^3 baloon, The particle could be anwhere within a 0.01m^3 volume, within this balloon. If I had a 1% margin of error in a 3m^3 baloon, The particle could be anwhere within a 0.03m^3 volume, within this balloon. If I know for certainty that the particle is at [0.5[itex]\pm[/itex]0.1 , 0.7[itex]\pm[/itex]0.1 , 0.3[itex]\pm[/itex]0.1] when it is inside a 5m x 4m x 3m = 60m^3 volume, then what is the margin of error of the localisation expressed as a percentage. Can I just do 0.001/60 = 0.0000167%

Sorry if this question isn't making much sense. I might be talking complete mathematical BS at the moment. I'm just looking for a way to quantify the accuracy of the localisation, independantly from the size of the container. This is because If i could localise the position of a particle down to [itex]\pm[/itex]0.1m within a 100m^3 area, then this is very impressive. If I can localise the position of a particle down to [itex]\pm[/itex]0.1m within a 0.1m^3 area, then this isn't impressive. In the latter case I have just said, the particle is inside this 0.1m^3 container.

If I understand you correctly, you want to consider a sphere centered around the point of interest with a radius of 100 mm. The error term you want seems to be the ratio of the volume of the sphere to the volume of the container. I am not sure what is the significance of this ratio.

Related to Percentage error of a guess at a position, and the actual position.

What is percentage error?

Percentage error is a measurement of how inaccurate a guess or estimate is compared to the actual value. It is calculated by taking the absolute value of the difference between the guess and the actual value, dividing it by the actual value, and then multiplying by 100.

Why is percentage error important in science?

Percentage error is important in science because it allows us to evaluate the accuracy of our measurements and experiments. It helps us determine how reliable our results are and whether there may be any systematic errors in our procedures.

How do you calculate percentage error?

Percentage error is calculated by taking the absolute value of the difference between the guess and the actual value, dividing it by the actual value, and then multiplying by 100. The formula is: (|guess - actual| / actual) * 100.

Can percentage error be negative?

Yes, percentage error can be negative. This occurs when the guess is greater than the actual value, resulting in a negative difference. However, when using the formula, the absolute value is taken, so the final percentage error will always be positive.

How do you interpret percentage error?

A low percentage error indicates that the guess is close to the actual value, while a high percentage error indicates that the guess is far from the actual value. A percentage error of 0% would mean that the guess and the actual value are the same, while a percentage error of 100% would mean that the guess is twice as far from the actual value.