Percent Error Formula: Find the % Error in Lab w/ 10 mL Water

In summary, the student is trying to find the percent error for a lab they did in class. They used 10 mL, 25 mL, and 50 mL of water in a graduated cylinder and recorded the meniscus at 8.9 mL. The weight of the cylinder was 75.35 grams and with the water, 82.92 grams, making the weight of the water 7.57 grams. The student is unsure of what to use for the theoretical and experimental weight in the percent error formula and is hesitant to ask their teacher for help. They are also unclear on how the information they have relates to the experiment.
lindseyam

Homework Statement

I need to find the percent error from a lab I did in class. i have all the data but I don't know what would be used for the theoretical weight and experimental weight in the percent error formula. I used 10 mL, 25 mL, and 50 mL of water in a graduated cylinder. I'll just used the 10 mL information. I got 8.9 mL for the meniscus. The weight of the cylinder was 75.35 grams and with the water, 82.92 grams which makes the weight of the water 7.57 grams. So the problem once again is what I would use for the theoretical weight and experimental weight in the percent area formula. I would ask my teacher but he's not that friendly and makes me feel like an idiot.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Please describe the experimental procedure, experiment is unclear to me - I can't see a connection between 10 mL, 8.9mL and 7.57g.

Borek said:
Please describe the experimental procedure, experiment is unclear to me - I can't see a connection between 10 mL, 8.9mL and 7.57g.

I had 10 mL of water in the graduated cylinder and got a meniscus of 8.9 and the water weighs 7.57 grams. and the percent error formula is (theoretical - experimental) divided by theoretical X 100. Would theoretical and experimental be?

It still doesn't make sense.

lindseyam said:
I had 10 mL of water in the graduated cylinder and got a meniscus of 8.9

I don't get it. If the meniscus was at 8.9, you had 8.9 mL of water in cylinder, not 10 mL.

Would theoretical and experimental be?

:confused:

The percent error formula is used to determine the accuracy of an experimental result compared to a theoretical value. In your case, the theoretical value would be the expected weight of the water based on its known density (at a given temperature) and the volume used. The experimental value would be the actual weight of the water measured in the lab.

To find the theoretical weight, you can use the formula: mass = density x volume. The density of water at room temperature is approximately 1 gram per milliliter. So for 10 mL of water, the theoretical weight would be 10 grams.

Using the given data, the percent error can be calculated as follows:

Percent error = | (experimental value - theoretical value) / theoretical value | x 100

= | (7.57 g - 10 g) / 10 g | x 100

= 0.243 x 100

= 24.3%

Therefore, the percent error in your experiment with 10 mL of water is 24.3%. This indicates that your experimental value was 24.3% lower than the theoretical value, which could be due to factors such as measurement errors or experimental limitations. It is important to analyze the sources of error in your experiment and try to improve them for more accurate results in the future.

Related to Percent Error Formula: Find the % Error in Lab w/ 10 mL Water

1. What is the purpose of calculating percent error in a lab?

The purpose of calculating percent error in a lab is to determine the accuracy of your experimental results. It compares the measured value to the accepted or expected value and helps identify any potential sources of error in your experiment.

2. How is percent error calculated?

Percent error is calculated by taking the absolute value of the difference between the measured value and the accepted value, dividing it by the accepted value, and then multiplying by 100 to get a percentage. The formula is: % Error = (|Measured Value - Accepted Value| / Accepted Value) x 100.

3. What does a positive percent error indicate?

A positive percent error indicates that the measured value is greater than the accepted value. This could be due to experimental error, human error, or limitations of the equipment used.

4. What does a negative percent error indicate?

A negative percent error indicates that the measured value is less than the accepted value. This could also be due to experimental error, human error, or limitations of the equipment used.

5. Is it possible to have a percent error of 0%?

Yes, it is possible to have a percent error of 0%. This would mean that the measured value and the accepted value are exactly the same. However, it is important to keep in mind that a percent error of 0% does not necessarily mean that the experiment was completely accurate, as there may still be sources of error that were not accounted for.