Percent by weight of substance in hydrate

In summary, Gypsum, used for wallboard, is a hydrate with the formula CaSO4 2H2O. To find the percentage by weight of water in this hydrate, you need to calculate the mass of CaSO4 and 2H2O and then determine the percentage of 2H2O to CaSO4. For part (b), assuming all water is lost in heating, you can use the percentage from (a) to calculate the mass of water lost when 15.000 grams of the hydrate is heated. This can be found using atomic masses from the periodic table.
hairy_grape
Q: Gypsum, used for wallboard, has the formula CaSO4 2H2O. (a) What is the percent by weight of water in this hydrate? (b) If 15.000 grams of this hydrate is heated, what mass of water would be lost?

I'm thinking that I have to find out the mass of the CaSO4 and then the mass of 2H2O, then calculate the percentage of 2H2o to CaSO4. I just don't know how to find out the mass of either one..

For part (b) i guess i assume that all water is lost in heating? Then use the percentage from (a) to calculate the water lost?

thanks for any help,
hairy_grape

Physics news on Phys.org
The percentage should be of H2O in the entire hydrate CaSO4·2H2O
You use the atomic masses from the periodic table to find the masses...

For (b) it sounds like you're on the right track.

Bohrok said:
The percentage should be of H2O in the entire hydrate CaSO4·2H2O
You use the atomic masses from the periodic table to find the masses...

For (b) it sounds like you're on the right track.

ok thanks

Related to Percent by weight of substance in hydrate

What is percent by weight of substance in hydrate?

Percent by weight of substance in hydrate is a measure of the amount of a particular substance in a hydrate compound, expressed as a percentage of the total weight.

How is percent by weight of substance in hydrate calculated?

To calculate percent by weight of substance in hydrate, the weight of the substance in the hydrate is divided by the weight of the total hydrate compound, and then multiplied by 100.

What is the significance of percent by weight of substance in hydrate in scientific research?

Percent by weight of substance in hydrate is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to accurately determine the composition and properties of hydrate compounds.

What factors can affect the percent by weight of substance in hydrate?

Several factors can influence the percent by weight of substance in hydrate, including the purity of the hydrate compound, the method of preparation, and any impurities present.

How is percent by weight of substance in hydrate used in real-world applications?

Percent by weight of substance in hydrate is commonly used in industrial processes, such as in the production of pharmaceuticals and in the analysis of mineral samples. It is also used in educational settings to teach students about the properties of hydrate compounds.