Perceived Shape of the Earth's Horizon

In summary, airplane pilots can first perceive the curvature of the Earth's horizon at an altitude of about 35,000 ft and at a distance of 230 miles. The shape they see is a circular segment, but it may also appear as an ellipse depending on their position relative to the center of the circle. Refraction in the atmosphere may also impact the perceived shape of the horizon.
insightful
I have read that airplane pilots can first perceive the curvature of the Earth's horizon at an altitude of about 35,000 ft. (The horizon would be 230 miles away.) Precisely, what is the shape they see? I don't think it's an arc of a circle because of the angle of observation. Is it part of an ellipse?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
insightful said:
I have read that airplane pilots can first perceive the curvature of the Earth's horizon at an altitude of about 35,000 ft. (The horizon would be 230 miles away.) Precisely, what is the shape they see? I don't think it's an arc of a circle because of the angle of observation. Is it part of an ellipse?
I can imagine standing above the centre of a round table top and using a camera with a square format to photograph the edge of the table. It looks as if the lower edge of the photo will be a chord of the circle, and we could draw a line on the table showing its position, and the photo will show a circular segment.

Yeah, it might very well be a circular segment. I can find no confirmation of this anywhere.

Okay, here's my proof that it appears as a segment of a circle:

The curve appears identical in any direction.
The only curve that can do that is a circle.
Q.E.D.

Now, if you were not directly above the center of the circle, then it would appear as an ellipse (I think).

insightful said:
Okay, here's my proof that it appears as a segment of a circle:

The curve appears identical in any direction.
The only curve that can do that is a circle.
Q.E.D.
Good argument!

What if we were to consider light refraction, even if it is ever so subtle?

If you put your eyes about 1.5 inches above the middle of a 4 foot diameter table, the rim of the table would correspond fairly closely to the horizon as viewed from the airplane. Now place the middle of a yardstick near the edge of the table and tangent to it. Can you distinguish between a straight line (the yardstick) and a curved line (the rim) as viewed from that angle?

jbriggs444 said:
If you put your eyes about 1.5 inches above the middle of a 4 foot diameter table, the rim of the table would correspond fairly closely to the horizon as viewed from the airplane. Now place the middle of a yardstick near the edge of the table and tangent to it. Can you distinguish between a straight line (the yardstick) and a curved line (the rim) as viewed from that angle?
Great idea. Attached is my surrogate for your table. What started this was an argument I had with a guy who said, "West Texas is so flat, you can see the curvature of Earth's horizon from land." My evidence to the contrary was the 35,000 ft alluded to above.

Attachments

• Horizon.JPG
    Horizon.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 369
Likes jbriggs444
Mentallic said:
What if we were to consider light refraction, even if it is ever so subtle?
My understanding is that refraction in the atmosphere allows you to see a little over the horizon, thus increasing the diameter of the perceived circle.

insightful said:
My understanding is that refraction in the atmosphere allows you to see a little over the horizon, thus increasing the diameter of the perceived circle.

I should have added that I was thinking in terms of the changing gradient of air temperature throughout the Earth causing a differing amount of refraction. If you're at the equator and facing along the equatorial line, then the air would be warmer along that line while it would be getting progressively cooler if you faced North or South.

Light bends towards the denser medium, and cold air is denser, so my guess is that in a very simplified world where all other possible variables are removed, you'd be able to see ever so slightly further towards the poles than along the equator.

Related to Perceived Shape of the Earth's Horizon

1. What is the perceived shape of the Earth's horizon?

The perceived shape of the Earth's horizon is a circular arc that appears to be flat and straight to the naked eye. This is due to the curvature of the Earth's surface, which is not visibly noticeable at human scale.

2. Why does the horizon appear to be flat when we know the Earth is round?

This is an optical illusion caused by the vast size of the Earth and the curvature of its surface. We can only see a small portion of the Earth at a time, and the curvature is not visible at this scale. Additionally, the atmosphere and atmospheric refraction can also contribute to this illusion.

3. Are there any factors that can affect the perceived shape of the Earth's horizon?

Yes, there are several factors that can impact the perceived shape of the Earth's horizon. These include atmospheric conditions, such as humidity and temperature, as well as the observer's position and elevation.

4. Can the perceived shape of the Earth's horizon be different in different locations?

Yes, the perceived shape of the Earth's horizon can vary in different locations due to the factors mentioned above. For example, the horizon may appear flatter in a desert environment compared to a coastal area due to differences in humidity and elevation.

5. How do we know that the Earth's shape is not actually flat?

There is overwhelming scientific evidence that supports the spherical shape of the Earth, such as satellite imagery, gravitational measurements, and observations of celestial bodies. Additionally, the mathematical calculations and physical laws that govern the Earth's rotation and orbit would not work if the Earth were flat.