People tend to think that reality is what they see/read in the news

• Medical
  • Thread starter kaleidoscope
  • Start date
  • Tags
    News Reality
In summary, the cognitive bias this person is referring to is called the anchoring bias. It is the tendency of people to base their opinions on the first piece of information they see or hear.
kaleidoscope
Sometime ago I read about a cognitive bias by which people tend to think that reality is what they see/read in the news. I don't remember the name of this bias and was wondering if anyone could help find it or a similar one. Thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
Wouldn't this apply to any person with no other source of information (which I'd say applies to a lot of the westernised world - not because we have a lack of access to other sources, but because we just accept the news and don't bother checking it so it becomes our only source)? Not really a bias on the part of the person.

If people believed what they saw on TV in general - sci fi, soaps, sitcoms etc - then that's a different issue.

kaleidoscope said:
Sometime ago I read about a cognitive bias by which people tend to think that reality is what they see/read in the news. I don't remember the name of this bias and was wondering if anyone could help find it or a similar one. Thanks.

This isn't an answer to your questing, just something this post made me think about. Who's to say that isn't "reality". Who knows what "reality" truly is. We see "reality" as what the world around us truly is, but we base this truth off what we see and hear. As far as anything we see in the news being "false" how do you know that. Because you check it? So you base the truth or reality of what is said in the news off of what?...something someone else says? The truth is no one knows the truth therefore no one understands reality. We base truth off the actions of another person (which can be misinterpreted or misleading) who bases their action off those of another and another and so on and so on.

Basically we base our interpretation of reality off what we think is reality...but that's just based of how someone or some peoples idea of what reality is.

For example the media "hypeing up the news". That's not what's actually going on right?... We'll the powers that be decide what the media sees, which based on what's being shown, the powers that be will either make it look more or less...(hyped i guess you could say?) Therefore when the media hypes it up is it closer or further from the truth?...who know's

If this just seems like a bunch of garbage that makes no sense I apologize, But if it does make sense then what do you think?

That post was borderline philosophical.

What you see on the news doesn't necessarily represent the reality of a situation. It doesn't necessarily present scientifically accurate information for one. You can check that.

Your whole paragraph revolving around "Because you check it? So you base the truth or reality of what is said in the news off of what?...something someone else says?" is complete non-sense. In so far as you can check a number of news events for yourself.

News reports a hike in petrol prices, you go and check and it hasn't happened. Now you know what the reality of the situation is. The news is wrong. At what point there is there any confusion / questions hanging over the reality here?

It's a simple example, but it holds true.

You check something against various internet sources, using reliable and verifiable sources and you can form a far more solid opinion on the situation. To ignore all other sources and go straight with the news isn't good practice and, thanks to potential bias, can prove to give false information.

Your whole "who knows what reality is" thing, in my opinion, is a load of rubbish. All you've said is that every source out there is unreliable and even if you see it yourself you can't be sure.

Don't get me wrong I wasn't trying to make some radical, philosophical statement. It was merely food for thought. And yes your gas price example is something that can be proven. I was speaking from a more political viewpoint (my fault for not specifying) where lies and deceit skew the truth...Like sitting in your living room watching news coverage of a war. You can't exactly go there and see for yourself.

In terms of petrol prices yes it's very easy to understand the reality of the situation, but in political cases you can't exactly split a government officials head open to see if what he says is the truth.

I feel as though you saw me reply as an attack on your statement which was not my intention, but looking at it now I can see how one could come to that conclusion.

I also feel a little insulted...of course I wasn't talking about events that could be easily seen and known as the truth or a lie. Like the fact the sun is in space, or grass is green, or the sky is blue.

Also i would like to suggest you don't go around saying someones ideas are rubish because you don't agree...it's bloody rude.

Last edited:
I'll be blunt. The whole "Who knows what "reality" truly is." crops up a lot in the philosophy forum. I can assure you, it's not the last time you'll here "what a load of rubbish" and it's certainly not your idea. I've heard it come up far too much and just put a haze over the arguments for it to be worthwhile. Don't take it as personal, it's just my dislike for these types of philosophical arguments - particularly ones which spiral into "we don't exist".

Now, I agree. In so far as unless you properly investigate a news report you don't know the reality of the situation. A simple look on the internet will prove / disprove most stories. Yes, if a person lies it can cloud issues and mask the truth. But it doesn't last (heck, has wikileaks proved nothing?).
However, I disagree that no one knows what reality is.

I have not heard this, but I know most times my Mom does believe everything she sees on tv, from news, what doctors say, and some tv shows.
She talks back to the tv, and it gets old when you are watching a sitcom and she starts saying things like> Because you are a stupid____, if you would have_____, why don't you_____.
Anything a news reporter reports is true to her, and she will call people to tell them what she heard.
The sad thing is she used to tell me don't believer everything you see, hear, or read.
If anyone knows why this is. please help!

Related to People tend to think that reality is what they see/read in the news

What is the definition of reality?

The definition of reality is the state or quality of being real, or in accordance with fact or reality. It is the actual existence of things as opposed to their appearance or representation.

How is reality portrayed in the news?

Reality is often portrayed in the news as a collection of events, facts, and information that are deemed newsworthy by journalists and media outlets. However, it is important to remember that the news can be biased and may not always accurately reflect reality.

Why do people tend to believe what they see or read in the news?

People tend to believe what they see or read in the news because it is presented as factual information from trusted sources. Additionally, the news often appeals to people's emotions and personal beliefs, making it more likely for them to accept it as reality.

How can we determine what is real and what is not in the news?

To determine what is real and what is not in the news, it is important to critically analyze the information presented. This can include fact-checking, seeking out multiple sources, and considering the potential biases of the news outlet. It is also important to remember that reality is often complex and multifaceted, so it is important to approach news with a critical and open mind.

How can we educate others about the importance of critical thinking in regards to news and reality?

We can educate others about the importance of critical thinking in regards to news and reality by promoting media literacy and teaching individuals how to analyze and evaluate information. This can include teaching individuals how to fact-check, recognize bias, and think critically about the information presented in the news. It is also important to have open and respectful discussions about different perspectives and encourage individuals to question and challenge their own beliefs and assumptions.