Penning ion source operating principle

In summary, the conversation is about the search for information on Penning ion sources, specifically for the purpose of generating neutrons. The speaker is interested in finding a technical drawing and a detailed explanation of how the ion source works, including the electric and magnetic fields involved. Some potential resources are mentioned, such as a specific website and a general description of Penning ion sources.
Tayfun
I'm sending this message to anyone who has knowledge about neutron generator. is there anyone who knows how does penning ion source works. I mean how could ions exit the holes but electrons can't exit. I didn't find any explanation about it on the web

Engineering news on Phys.org
Tayfun said:
I'm sending this message to anyone who has knowledge about neutron generator. is there anyone who knows how does penning ion source works. I mean how could ions exit the holes but electrons can't exit. I didn't find any explanation about it on the web
Is one interesting in Penning ion sources in general, or more specifically for deuteron gas (ions) impinging upon a tritiated target for the purpose of generating neutrons?

For Penning ion source, here is an example - http://www.specs.de/cms/front_content.php?idcat=105

or a general description - Penning Ion Sources

or more generally - http://www.casetechnology.com/source.html

Astronuc said:
Is one interesting in Penning ion sources in general, or more specifically for deuteron gas (ions) impinging upon a tritiated target for the purpose of generating neutrons?

For Penning ion source, here is an example - http://www.specs.de/cms/front_content.php?idcat=105

or a general description - Penning Ion Sources

or more generally - http://www.casetechnology.com/source.html

they are good. but I'm searching for a technical drawing of a penning ion source. so I'm going to simulate it in a computer program. and satisfied explanation of the the ion source's technical explanation for example ions go this way and electrons ge this way electric and magnetic fields exert a this particular vectorel forces... etc..

Related to Penning ion source operating principle

1. What is a Penning ion source and how does it work?

A Penning ion source is a type of ion source used in mass spectrometry and other scientific applications. It works by using a strong magnetic field to trap and confine electrons, which then collide with gas molecules, producing positively charged ions.

2. What is the operating principle behind a Penning ion source?

The operating principle of a Penning ion source is based on the Penning discharge, which occurs when a strong magnetic field is combined with a low-pressure gas. This results in the creation of a plasma, which contains ions and electrons that can be extracted to produce a beam of ions.

3. What is the advantage of using a Penning ion source compared to other types of ion sources?

One of the main advantages of a Penning ion source is its ability to produce a high intensity of ions, making it useful for applications that require a large number of ions. Additionally, it is relatively simple and inexpensive to operate compared to other types of ion sources.

4. What are the limitations of a Penning ion source?

One limitation of a Penning ion source is that it can only produce positive ions, which may not be suitable for certain applications. Additionally, the magnetic field required for operation can be difficult to maintain and may limit the size of the source.

5. How is a Penning ion source used in mass spectrometry?

In mass spectrometry, a Penning ion source is typically used as the ionization source, where it produces a beam of ions that are then separated and detected based on their mass-to-charge ratio. It is commonly used in conjunction with other ion sources to analyze a wide range of samples.