Pendulums & simple harmonic motion.

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the number of times two pendulums will be in step over a period of 60 seconds, with one pendulum having a periodic time of 1.0 seconds and the other having a periodic time of 0.5 seconds. The conversation also addresses the determination of string lengths for two simple pendulums oscillating in step and the confusion around the accuracy of theoretical calculations in harmonic motion.
Yehia11
If we have two pendulums (one with periodic time 1.0 s and the other 0.5 s) and the two are set off oscillating in step, how can we find out the number of times they will be in step over a period of 60 s??

Help much appreciated! thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it looks like one is swinging twice as often as the other. So... what do you conclude?

Ketman said:
Well, it looks like one is swinging twice as often as the other. So... what do you conclude?

Hmm. I'd say, since one is double as quick, that they cross each other every second... that seems to be wrong as the actual answer is apparently 68 times?! :S

68 doesn't seem right. What does "in step" mean? I interpreted it as being at the same position, at the same time as moving in the same direction.

Torquil

Have you given the wording of the question exactly as it is in the book or paper?

wat do u conclude ketman?

Yes i have given the wording correctly, but the answer is actually 60. sorry not 68!

it is 60. i drew a sinusoidal graph for both and concluded that they are in step 60 times in 60 second, because they each are at the starting position every second --> once a second!

But here's another question now where my answer and the actual answer arent equal:

we have a SPRING moving in simple harmonic motion. The amplitude is 40 mm (or 0.04 m)
the frequency is 0.5 Hz so the periodic time is 2 s.

at t=0 the displacement=0 (so we start time when the spring is at equilibrium and is moving upwards)

surely at 1 second the displacement = 0 mm so at 0.5 seconds displacement =40 mm (maximum displacement)

SO at 0.25 seconds the displacement = 20 mm RIGHT? then why is the real answer 28 mm?

Help very much appreciated.

The graph of position vs time is sinusoidal, not linear.
[tex]x(t)= A sin \omega t [/tex]
Plug in [tex]t = .25 s[/tex] and you get [tex]x = 28mm[/tex].

Jebus_Chris said:
The graph of position vs time is sinusoidal, not linear.
[tex]x(t)= A sin \omega t [/tex]
Plug in [tex]t = .25 s[/tex] and you get [tex]x = 28mm[/tex].

AAAAhhhh yes i remember that equation! hadn't even crossed my mind until i checked my notes. thankyou!

but I still do not see the logic why it is not 20 (because theoretically shouldn't it be half of 40mm?)

And one last question:

If we have 2 simple pendulums, (one longer than the other) oscillating in SHM in step. The next time they are in step is after 20 seconds has elapsed, during which the time the longer pendulum has completed exactly 10 oscillations. Find the string lengths

I found that the length of the short one is 1 metre. but how the other one?? :) thankyou in advance. help very appreciated!

Last edited:
Yehia11 said:
but I still do not see the logic why it is not 20 (because theoretically shouldn't it be half of 40mm?)

You go half the distance in half the time only if the velocity is constant. With harmonic motion you have acceleration and deceleration.
Yehia11 said:
If we have 2 simple pendulums, (one longer than the other) oscillating in SHM in step. The next time they are in step is after 20 seconds has elapsed, during which the time the longer pendulum has completed exactly 10 oscillations. Find the string lengths

I found that the length of the short one is 1 metre. but how the other one?? :) thankyou in advance. help very appreciated!

That was a big jump! The shorter one is the one you know least about to begin with. How did you arrive at your answer?

Ketman said:
You go half the distance in half the time only if the velocity is constant. With harmonic motion you have acceleration and deceleration.

Ah right, yea i see it now, thanks!

Ketman said:
That was a big jump! The shorter one is the one you know least about to begin with. How did you arrive at your answer?

hahaha sorry my bad, i DONT KNOW the length of the shorter one! that's what I am trying to find. i found out that the long one's length is one metre through this formula:

T (periodic time) = 2pi√(l/g) and so the long one is 1 metre, I want to find the short one.

Can you help?

Well, you might need someone smarter than me. It seems clear that the shorter pendulum will be in step with the longer one after 10 oscillations if it goes just 10% faster. But that also applies if it's 110% faster, or 210%, or 310%... Or so it seems to me. But since there can only be one answer, it looks like I must be wrong.

So you know the length and period of the large pendulum, 2s and 1m respectively. The position of the large pendulum after 20 seconds is the same as where it began (x=A). The smaller pendulum must go through some amount of oscillations in 20 seconds. We know that the period will be shorter than the other period so use the previous equation I gave you and plug in final position and time and find T.

Moderator's note: in the future, separate questions should be posted in a new thread.

Related to Pendulums & simple harmonic motion.

What is a pendulum?

A pendulum is a weight suspended from a fixed point that is free to swing back and forth under the influence of gravity. It is commonly used to measure time in clocks and is also used in scientific experiments to study simple harmonic motion.

What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is the back and forth movement of an object that is caused by a restoring force that is proportional to the object's displacement from its equilibrium position. It is a type of periodic motion that is seen in pendulums, springs, and other systems.

What factors affect the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum is affected by the length of the pendulum, the acceleration due to gravity, and the angle at which it is released. Other factors, such as air resistance and the mass of the pendulum, can also have a small effect on the period.

What is the equation for the period of a pendulum?

The period (T) of a pendulum is calculated using the equation T = 2π√(L/g), where L is the length of the pendulum and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation assumes that the amplitude (angle of swing) is small (less than 15 degrees).

How can pendulums be used in practical applications?

Pendulums have many practical applications, such as in clocks, metronomes, and seismometers. They are also used in scientific experiments to study simple harmonic motion and in engineering to test the stability of structures. In addition, they are used in amusement park rides and other toys.