Pendulum with larger amplitudes

In summary, the problem of solving the equation for a pendulum with large amplitudes does not have a closed form solution and the motion may not necessarily be periodic. One approach is to use quadrature on the non-linear pendulum problem, resulting in a separable differential equation. However, the integral cannot be solved in closed form and is an elliptic integral. The period can be related to the distances around the ovals formed by graphing the equation in the phase plane.
hrlaust

Homework Statement

I really would like some help. Next month I am starting a project with the title "pendulum with larger amplitudes", where I have to come up with a solution on how to solve the equation for the pendulum with large amplitude.

Homework Equations

This is the equation I have to come up with, but I have no idea how to get this.
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/3345/latex2png896efbxa5.png
I know how to get the equation for the pendulum with small amplitudes, its just the rest, that kills me.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have searched the internet and this forum for hours now. And the only information I am able to find is the final equation and theory about the pendulum with small amplitudes.

I would be really happy if some of you guys are able to help me or give me some links with the theory behind the equation.

Thanks, Jonas

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no "closed form" solution to the "large angle" pendulum problem and, solutions are NOT necessarily periodic- it is possible to give the pendulum an initial speed so that it "goes over the top" and just continues around and around- so your "period" equation couldn't hold for that. One thing you can do is use "quadrature" on the non-linear pendulum problem. Let [itex]\omega= d\theta /dt[/itex]. Then [itex]d^2\theta/dt^2= d\omega /dt= d\omega/d\theta d\theta /dt= \omega d\omega /d\theta[/itex]
The equation of motion of the pendulum becomes
[tex]\frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2}=\omega \frac{d\omega}{d\theta)= \frac{g}{l} sin(\theta)[/itex]
a relatively simple separable differential equation. Integrating you get
[tex]\frac{1}{2}\omega^2= -\frac{g}{l} cos(\theta)+ C[/tex]
Solving for [itex]\omega= d\theta /dx[/itex] gives a rather complicated root involving [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex] which cannot be integrated in closed form- it is, in fact, an "elliptic integral". If, instead, you were to graph [itex]\frac{1}{2}\omega^2= -\frac{g}{l} cos(\theta)+ C[/itex] in the [itex]\theta-\omega[/itex] plane (the "phase plane") you will see that, for sufficiently low starting speeds, the graphs are ovals around the points (0,0), ([itex]\pi[/itex],0), etc. The period will be related to the distances around those ovals.

Related to Pendulum with larger amplitudes

1. What is the definition of amplitude in a pendulum?

Amplitude is the maximum displacement of the pendulum bob from its equilibrium position. In simpler terms, it is the distance from the bob's starting point to its highest point during its swing.

2. How does increasing the amplitude affect the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum is directly proportional to its length and inversely proportional to the square root of the acceleration due to gravity. Therefore, increasing the amplitude of a pendulum will also increase its period, meaning it will take longer to complete one full swing.

3. Is there a limit to how large the amplitude of a pendulum can be?

In theory, there is no limit to how large the amplitude of a pendulum can be. However, in reality, the pendulum may start to experience air resistance and drag, which can affect its motion and make it less accurate.

4. How does the amplitude affect the energy of a pendulum?

The amplitude of a pendulum is directly proportional to its energy. This means that as the amplitude increases, so does the energy of the pendulum. This can be seen in the higher swings and longer periods of a pendulum with larger amplitudes.

5. Can the amplitude of a pendulum affect its accuracy as a timekeeping device?

Yes, the larger the amplitude of a pendulum, the more it is affected by external factors such as air resistance and friction. This can lead to small variations in its period, which can affect its accuracy as a timekeeping device. Therefore, pendulums with smaller amplitudes are generally more accurate timekeepers.