Pendulum: two masses hanged on a weightless line with a spring

In summary: At t=0 the body is at the position of an equilibrium and then it is pulled down. If this is wrong, can you just tell me if the signs are ok in the equations? They are not... In summary, the conversation discusses a system of two masses connected by a spring and hung from the ceiling, and finding a general solution for this pendulum for small angles. The equations and attempted solution are provided, but there may be some errors in the signs and the resulting solution may not be correct.
skrat

Homework Statement

I have a system of two masses m hanged with lines l from the ceiling. We put a spring between the two masses. Find a general solution for this pendulum for small angles

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hmmm..

##\sum M=0##

##J\ddot{\varphi _1}+mglsin\varphi _1+kxcos\varphi _1=0##,

for small angles ##sin\varphi =\varphi## and ##cos\varphi =1## and ##x=l\varphi ##, therefore:
##J\ddot{\varphi _1}+mgl\varphi _1+kl\varphi _1=0##

##\ddot{\varphi _1 }+\frac{(mg+k)}{ml}\varphi _1=0##

Symmetrically for the other body: ##\ddot{\varphi _2 }+\frac{(mg+k)}{ml}\varphi _2=0##

is everything ok so far? Now... Well, the instructions say that I should get a system of differential equations and find a general solution.. So, my question is... How are these two equations above together a system - How are they "connected".

Physics news on Phys.org
You should look again at the term in your equation for the force from the spring. For each mass, the force from the spring depends on both φ1 and φ2

Something else occurs to me, you need to know the equilibrium length of the spring and how it compares to the separation between the two masses. I am guessing that you're meant to suppose that the equilibrium length of the spring is equal to the spacing of the two masses if they were at rest. Does the question say anything about this?

Last edited:
aaaaaaa so the force of the spring is actually ##kx=k(x_1-x_2)= kl(\varphi _1-\varphi _2)## ?

Yes... assuming that the equilibrium length of the spring is equal to the distance between the two masses when they're at rest.

Thanks! :)

You are most welcome.

Ok, I tried to find a general solution of this differential system:

Firstly, I made one correction concerning the force of the spring ##kx=k(x_1+x_2)## that is if at the begging we pull the first mass for ##x_1## away and the second mass for ##x_2## away. Total expansion of the spring is therefore ##x_1+x_2=l(\varphi _1 + \varphi _2## where one of the angles is negative.

So for first body:

##-\ddot{\varphi _1}+\varphi _1(\frac{g}{l}+\frac{k}{m})+\varphi _2\frac{k}{m}=0##

and second:

##-\ddot{\varphi _2}+\varphi _2(\frac{g}{l}+\frac{k}{m})+\varphi _1\frac{k}{m}=0##

This gives me a system : ##\begin{bmatrix}
\ddot{\varphi _1}\\
\ddot{\varphi _2}
\end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix}
\frac{g}{l}+\frac{k}{m} &\frac{k}{m}\\
\frac{g}{l}+\frac{k}{m} & \frac{k}{m}
\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}
\varphi _1\\
\varphi _2
\end{bmatrix}##

Let's say that ##\frac{g}{l}+\frac{k}{m}=\alpha## and ##\frac{k}{m}=\beta##

than ##\begin{bmatrix}
\alpha &\beta\\
\alpha & \beta
\end{bmatrix}##

Egien values for this matrix: ##(\alpha -\lambda )(\beta -\lambda )-\alpha \beta =\lambda (\lambda -(\alpha +\beta ))=0##

Diagonal matrix is therefore ##\begin{bmatrix}
0 & 0\\
0 & \alpha +\beta
\end{bmatrix}## and eigenvector for ##\lambda =0##:

##\begin{bmatrix}
\alpha &\beta\\
\alpha & \beta
\end{bmatrix}\sim \begin{bmatrix}
\alpha &\beta\\
0& 0
\end{bmatrix}## so ##v_1=(-\frac{\beta }{\alpha },1)##

and for ##\lambda =\alpha + \beta ##:

##\begin{bmatrix}
-\beta &\beta\\
\alpha & -\alpha
-\beta \alpha &\beta \alpha\\
\alpha \beta& -\alpha\beta
-\beta \alpha &\beta \alpha\\
0& 0
\end{bmatrix}## therefore ##v_1=(1,1)##

and accordingly matrix ##P=\begin{bmatrix}
-\frac{\beta }{\alpha } &1 \\
1 & 1
\end{bmatrix}##

So

##\begin{bmatrix}
\varphi _1\\
\varphi _2
0 & 0\\
0 & \alpha +\beta
\end{bmatrix}e^{Dt}\begin{bmatrix}
A\\
B
0 & 0\\
0 & \alpha +\beta
1 &0 \\
0 & e^{(\alpha +\beta )t}
A\\
B
\end{bmatrix}##

and ##\begin{bmatrix}
\varphi _1\\
\varphi _2
-A\frac{\beta }{\alpha } +Be^{(\alpha +\beta )t}\\
A+Be^{(\alpha +\beta )t}
\end{bmatrix}##

Does any of this sound right? :/ Thank you for all the help!

skrat said:
##\begin{bmatrix}
\varphi _1\\
\varphi _2
-A\frac{\beta }{\alpha } +Be^{(\alpha +\beta )t}\\
A+Be^{(\alpha +\beta )t}
\end{bmatrix}##
The system would have constant energy. You should have periodic trig functions in the answer, not exponentials. Probably a sign error.

I think the problem is still with your expression for the force from the spring. The way you wrote it, being proportional to x1+x2, that would mean that if x1 = x2, the spring would be exerting a force. That's not right; if x1 = x2, then the spring is at its equilibrium length, so there should be no force from it.

p.s. I think your term for the force from gravity also has the wrong sign.

skrat said:
So for first body:

##-\ddot{\varphi _1}+\varphi _1(\frac{g}{l}+\frac{k}{m})+\varphi _2\frac{k}{m}=0##

and second:

##-\ddot{\varphi _2}+\varphi _2(\frac{g}{l}+\frac{k}{m})+\varphi _1\frac{k}{m}=0##

This gives me a system : ##\begin{bmatrix}
\ddot{\varphi _1}\\
\ddot{\varphi _2}
\varphi _1\\
\varphi _2
\end{bmatrix}##

I made I mistake here... my system is ##\begin{bmatrix}
\ddot{\varphi _1}\\
\ddot{\varphi _2}
\frac{g}{l}+\frac{k}{m} & \frac{k}{m}\\
\frac{k}{m}& \frac{g}{l}+\frac{k}{m}
\varphi _1\\
\varphi _2
\end{bmatrix}##

If ##\alpha = \frac{g}{l}+\frac{k}{m}## and ##\beta = \frac{k}{m}##. We can see that the matrix is symmetrical ##\begin{bmatrix}
\alpha & \beta\\
\beta& \alpha
\end{bmatrix}##

The eigen values are ##(\alpha -\lambda) ^2-\beta ^2=\lambda ^2-2\alpha \lambda +(\alpha ^2-\beta ^2)## which gives me ## \lambda _{1,2}=\alpha \pm \beta ##.

Accordingly, eigenvector for ## \lambda _{1}=\alpha + \beta ## is ##v_1=(1,1)## and for ## \lambda _{2}=\alpha - \beta ## a vector ##v_2=(-1,1)##

This means, that matrix D from eigenvalues is ##D=\begin{bmatrix}
\alpha +\beta &0 \\
0& \alpha -\beta
\end{bmatrix}## and matrix P (from eigenvectors) is ##P=\begin{bmatrix}
1&-1 \\
1& 1
\end{bmatrix}##.

The general solution should be like ##\begin{bmatrix}
\varphi _1\\
\varphi _2
1&-1 \\
1& 1
e^{(\alpha +\beta )t} &0 \\
0& e^{(\alpha -\beta )t}
A\\
B
\end{bmatrix}##

so general solution is ##\begin{bmatrix}
\varphi _1\\
\varphi _2
Ae^{(\alpha +\beta )t}-Be^{(\alpha -\beta )t}\\
Ae^{(\alpha +\beta )t}+Be^{(\alpha -\beta )t}
\end{bmatrix}##

Anything more I can do with that? That is, if it is not wrong again...

haruspex said:
The system would have constant energy. You should have periodic trig functions in the answer, not exponentials. Probably a sign error.

Ok. How on can I check if the energy is constant? One more, since I have exponential functions again, my result is than again not ok?

Kosomoko said:
I think the problem is still with your expression for the force from the spring. The way you wrote it, being proportional to x1+x2, that would mean that if x1 = x2, the spring would be exerting a force. That's not right; if x1 = x2, then the spring is at its equilibrium length, so there should be no force from it.

p.s. I think your term for the force from gravity also has the wrong sign.

n1n-pendul.jpg

Let this be the position at t=0. The total extensions of the spring at this point is ##x_1+x_2##.
Unless I understood you wrong, if ##x_1=x_2\neq 0## the force of the spring will not be 0, which is ok.

Gravity has the same direction as the spring.

Last edited:
Well, the usual way to set up the coordinates for this would be to have the positive x direction be the same for both masses. Meaning that in your diagram, mass 1 currently has a negative x position and mass 2 has a positive x position. What you are proposing involves instead defining a sort of opposite x-axis for the second mass; this may work, but it is certainly not the most simple thing to do.

Even accepting this, though, the signs of the terms in your equation are still not correct. Look, for example, at the term for gravity... you essentially have the force being proportional to phi. This will mean that if phi is, for example +1 degree, gravity would tend to increase it even more, resulting in an exponential increase, which is obviously wrong. It should instead be proportional to -phi, tending to pull the mass back to phi=0.

skrat said:
Shouldn't it be:
##\color{red}{+}\ddot{\varphi _1}+\varphi _1(\frac{g}{l}+\frac{k}{m\color{red}{l}})+\varphi _2\frac{k}{m\color{red}{l}}=0##?

First, to answer Kosomoko: I agree now. The total extension of the spring is ##x_2-x_1##. Sorry for not believing you at first...

haruspex said:
Shouldn't it be:
##\color{red}{+}\ddot{\varphi _1}+\varphi _1(\frac{g}{l}+\frac{k}{m\color{red}{l}})+\varphi _2\frac{k}{m\color{red}{l}}=0##?

Well... originally the conditions are ##\sum M=J\ddot{\varphi }##

##J\ddot{\varphi _1}=F_glsin\varphi _1+F_slcos\varphi _1##

##\sum M=J\ddot{\varphi _1}=mglsin\varphi _1+k(x_2-x_1)lcos\varphi _1##

##J\ddot{\varphi _1}=mglsin\varphi _1+k(lsin\varphi _2-lsin\varphi _1)lcos\varphi _1##

For small ##\varphi ## than ##ml^2\ddot{\varphi }=mgl\varphi _1 +kl^2(\varphi _2-\varphi _1)##

O don't see how ##\frac{k}{m\color{red}{l}}## but bear in mind that looks like there are a lot of things i don't see..

##ml^2\ddot{\varphi }=mgl\varphi _1 +kl^2(\varphi _2-\varphi _1)##

Blah, I checked some old notes... And you guys are right...

it should be ##-ml^2\ddot{\varphi }=mgl\varphi _1 +kl^2(\varphi _2-\varphi _1)## allthough I don't really get it why but ok...

skrat said:
O don't see how ##\frac{k}{m\color{red}{l}}##
No, sorry - scratch that one. It is just k/m.
For the sign, you have the angles measured as positive when the masses are far apart. When > 0, both the gravitational force and the spring force act to reduce the angle.

##-\ddot{\varphi _1}=\frac{g}{l}\varphi _1 +\frac{k}{m}(\varphi _2-\varphi _1)##

and

##-\ddot{\varphi _2}=\frac{g}{l}\varphi _2 +\frac{k}{m}(\varphi _2-\varphi _1)##

give me

##\begin{bmatrix}
\ddot{\varphi _1}\\
\ddot{\varphi _2}
\frac{k}{m}-\frac{g}{l} & -\frac{k}{m}\\
\frac{k}{m}& -\frac{k}{m}-\frac{g}{l}
\varphi _1\\
\varphi _2
\end{bmatrix}##

where ##\begin{bmatrix}
\frac{k}{m}-\frac{g}{l} & -\frac{k}{m}\\
\frac{k}{m}& -\frac{k}{m}-\frac{g}{l}
\end{bmatrix}## has got eiganvalues ##\lambda## defined as ##(\lambda +\frac{g}{l})^2=0## What is interpretation of that?

skrat said:
##-\ddot{\varphi _1}=\frac{g}{l}\varphi _1 +\frac{k}{m}(\varphi _2-\varphi _1)##

and

##-\ddot{\varphi _2}=\frac{g}{l}\varphi _2 +\frac{k}{m}(\varphi _2-\varphi _1)##
So you've switched to measuring the angles in the same direction now?
If so, you need to reverse the sign on one of the differences. E.g. if φ1 is measured away from the common centre and φ2 is measured towards the common centre then when φ1 > φ2 the spring will be under tension. That will act to reduce φ1 but increase φ2.
##-\ddot{\varphi _1}=\frac{g}{l}\varphi _1 -\frac{k}{m}(\varphi _2-\varphi _1)##

haruspex said:
So you've switched to measuring the angles in the same direction now?
If so, you need to reverse the sign on one of the differences. E.g. if φ1 is measured away from the common centre and φ2 is measured towards the common centre then when φ1 > φ2 the spring will be under tension. That will act to reduce φ1 but increase φ2.
##-\ddot{\varphi _1}=\frac{g}{l}\varphi _1 -\frac{k}{m}(\varphi _2-\varphi _1)##

Yes, I've switched to positive angles.

##\begin{bmatrix}
\ddot{\varphi _1}\\
\ddot{\varphi _2}
-\frac{g}{l}-\frac{k}{m} & \frac{k}{m} \\
\frac{k}{m} & -\frac{g}{l}-\frac{k}{m}
\end{bmatrix}## for ##\alpha =\frac{g}{l}## and ##\beta =\frac{k}{m}## than ##\begin{bmatrix}
\ddot{\varphi _1}\\
\ddot{\varphi _2}
-\alpha-\beta &\beta \\
\beta & -\alpha-\beta
\end{bmatrix}##

Eigenvalues ##\lambda ^2+\lambda (2\alpha+2\beta)+\alpha ^2+2\alpha \beta=0## so ##\lambda _{1,2}=\frac{-2(\alpha +\beta)\pm\sqrt{4\alpha ^2+8\alpha \beta +4\beta ^2-4\alpha ^2-8\alpha \beta }}{2}= -(\alpha + \beta) \pm \beta##

For ##\lambda _1=-\alpha ## is eigenvector ##v_1=(1,1)## and for ##\lambda _2=-\alpha-2\beta## a vector ##v_2=(-1,1)##

Alltogether this gives me
##\begin{bmatrix}
\varphi _1\\
\varphi _2
Ae^{-(\alpha +2\beta)t}-Be^{-\alpha t}\\
Ae^{-(\alpha +2\beta)t}+Be^{-\alpha t}
\end{bmatrix}##

I don't see any periodic functions here..:/

α and β both have dimensions of s-2. So the thing in the exponents of your answer has dimensions of s-1, which is bad because it should be dimensionless.

You need to take the square root of the eigenvalues you found. To see why this is, it may be useful to express the vector (φ12) as a linear combination of the eigenvectors and rewrite the main differential equation(s) in terms of this. You will find that it decouples into two uncoupled differential equations whose solution is easy to see from looking at it.

skrat said:
Eigenvalues ##\lambda ^2+\lambda (2\alpha+2\beta)+\alpha ^2+2\alpha \beta=0## so ##\lambda _{1,2}=\frac{-2(\alpha +\beta)\pm\sqrt{4\alpha ^2+8\alpha \beta +4\beta ^2-4\alpha ^2-8\alpha \beta }}{2}= -(\alpha + \beta) \pm \beta##

For ##\lambda _1=-\alpha ## is eigenvector ##v_1=(1,1)## and for ##\lambda _2=-\alpha-2\beta## a vector ##v_2=(-1,1)##

I can't see any square root of eigenvectors here if I honest with you. At least, that's how I was told to do it.

Don't get me wrong, it is obvious that the exponents have to be dimensionless - thanks for reminding me of that, but I can't and don't want to just write a square root there just because that's how it has to be.

Hmmm, I tried to follow your instructions and write ##(\varphi _1, \varphi _2)## using eigenvectors ##v_1=(1,1)## and ##v_2=(-1,1)##... BUT... am... I don't quite understand you... Do you want me to rewrite these two equations:

or... ?

Btw: I imagined this would be an easy problem to solve... -.- Thanks to both for being patient!

Yes, that is the equation I meant. For convenience, let...

[itex]\vec{\varphi} = \begin{bmatrix}\varphi_1 \\\varphi_2\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

So right now, the equation you have is...

[itex]\ddot{\vec{\varphi}} = A\vec{\varphi}[/itex]

Where A is that 2x2 matrix. Write φ as a sum of v1 and v2...

[itex]\vec{\varphi} = a\vec{v_1} + b\vec{v_2}[/itex]

Insert that into the equation and you get...

[itex]\ddot{a}\vec{v_1} + \ddot{b}\vec{v_2} = A(a\vec{v_1} + b\vec{v_2}) = \lambda_1a\vec{v_1} + \lambda_2b\vec{v_2}[/itex]

Since v1 and v2 are linearly independent, you can decouple that vector equation into two simple uncoupled differential equations for a and b...

[itex]\ddot{a} = \lambda_1a \\
\ddot{b} = \lambda_2b[/itex]

The solutions of those are pretty familiar. Now you have general solutions for a and b, you can put them back into this...

[itex]\vec{\varphi} = a\vec{v_1} + b\vec{v_2}[/itex]

And now you have a general solution for φ.

Never in my life would I thought of that...

That gives me

##\begin{bmatrix}
\varphi _1\\
\varphi _2
C_1e^{\sqrt{-\alpha }t}+C_2e^{-\sqrt{-\alpha }t}-C_3e^{\sqrt{-\alpha -2\beta }t}-C_4e^{-\sqrt{-\alpha -2\beta }t}\\
C_1e^{\sqrt{-\alpha }t}+C_2e^{-\sqrt{-\alpha }t}+C_3e^{\sqrt{-\alpha -2\beta }t}+C_4e^{-\sqrt{-\alpha -2\beta }t}
C_1e^{i\sqrt{\alpha }t}+C_2e^{-i\sqrt{\alpha }t}-C_3e^{i\sqrt{\alpha +2\beta }t}-C_4e^{-i\sqrt{\alpha +2\beta }t}\\
C_1e^{i\sqrt{\alpha }t}+C_2e^{-i\sqrt{\alpha }t}+C_3e^{i\sqrt{\alpha +2\beta }t}+C_4e^{-i\sqrt{\alpha +2\beta }t}
\end{bmatrix}##

You can probably use some trigonometric identities to make it look nice and tidy. I think the eventual form should be something like sin(Ωt)sin(ωt) where Ω is a beat frequency, perhaps also with some phase shifts.

I would also recommend putting the solution back into the original equations to make sure it's right.

Related to Pendulum: two masses hanged on a weightless line with a spring

1. What is a pendulum?

A pendulum is a simple device consisting of a mass, called a bob, suspended from a fixed point by a weightless line or rod. It is used to demonstrate the principles of harmonic motion and is commonly found in clocks and other timekeeping devices.

2. How does a pendulum work?

A pendulum works by converting potential energy into kinetic energy and back again in a continuous cycle. When the bob is pulled to one side and released, it swings back and forth due to the force of gravity and the tension in the line or rod. The motion of the pendulum is governed by the laws of physics, specifically the principles of harmonic motion.

3. What factors affect the motion of a pendulum?

The motion of a pendulum is affected by several factors, including the length of the pendulum, the mass of the bob, and the strength of gravity. The length of the pendulum affects the period, or the time it takes for the pendulum to complete one full swing. The mass of the bob affects the amplitude, or the distance the bob swings from side to side. And gravity affects the speed at which the pendulum swings, with a stronger gravity resulting in a faster motion.

4. Can a pendulum be used to measure time?

Yes, a pendulum can be used to measure time. In fact, it is the basis for many timekeeping devices, such as grandfather clocks and metronomes. The period of a pendulum can be calculated using the length of the pendulum and the strength of gravity, making it a reliable way to measure time.

5. How is a pendulum used in scientific experiments?

A pendulum is used in scientific experiments to study the principles of harmonic motion and to measure the effects of gravity. It is also commonly used in physics classrooms to demonstrate concepts such as frequency, amplitude, and period. Additionally, pendulums have been used in historical experiments to study the Earth's rotation and to determine the length of a day.