Pendulum problem, need to be checked

• Thread starter trilerian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
In summary, to drop the bob from a height of 0 meters with a velocity of 1.4 meters per second, the angle at the bottom of the swing has to be greater than 80.5 degrees.
trilerian
A pendulum of length 0.6m swings so that at the bottom of its swing, it contacts a peg located 0.4m from the pivot point (0.2m from the CG). At what angle from vertical must the bob be released so that it will just make a revolution around the peg?

F = Mg = M*V^2/r

Mg (l-l cos x) = 1/2 MV^2
g (l-l cos x) = 1/2 gr
l (1- cos x) = 1/2 r
1- cos x = r/2l
1-r/2l = cos x
x = cos^-1 (1- .2/(2*.6) = 33.6

I tried an improvised impromptu experiment and wasn't getting anywhere near the angle 33.6 to work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to work backwards: Based on the condition "makes a revolution around the peg" (this is not equivalent to "has enough energy to reach that height"), find the required velocity at the lowest point first, and determine the angle afterwards.

At the top of its motion the tension in the string is zero, but the centripetal accelerating force is its weight, so its speed there is not zero (otherwise it will just fall down and not complete the revolution.)

The angle then, needs to be greater than 33.6?

You will need more speed (and a larger angle), right.

I am working on solving the problem with speed, but my examples from book have mass in the bob given for kinematics, still looking for energy examples. This type of problem kicks me good.

You don't need the mass, it cancels in the equations anyway. If you like to work with energy, you can assume "m" as mass, or even any specific value you like (like 1kg).

It can be done by just considering the energy. You just need to get the speed at the bottom. This requires you to analyze the circular motion of the bottom part of the string. Try and get its speed at the top of the revolution by assuming that the tension in the string is zero there, that is it isb just its weight that drives the circular motion.

I think I figured it out. Ft at top = 0, gives speed of 1.4 m/s, using conservation of energy gets speed at bottom then use conservation of energy again to figure out height to drop bob from with 0 velocity. Then do some trig, yay! Anyway, I came up with an 80.5 degree angle. I can post equations and work tomorrow. Have to go to work then study for calc test tonight. Thanks.

I also got the same angle.

Related to Pendulum problem, need to be checked

1. What is the equation for the period of a pendulum?

The equation for the period (T) of a pendulum is T = 2π√(l/g), where l is the length of the pendulum and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How does the length of a pendulum affect its period?

As the length of a pendulum increases, its period also increases. This is because a longer pendulum will take longer to complete one full swing, due to the increased distance it has to travel.

3. Does the mass of the pendulum affect its period?

No, the mass of the pendulum does not affect its period. The only factors that affect the period of a pendulum are its length and the acceleration due to gravity.

4. Can the angle of release affect the period of a pendulum?

Yes, the angle of release can affect the period of a pendulum. If the angle of release is too large, the pendulum will not swing back and forth in a regular pattern and the period will be shorter. However, if the angle of release is small, the pendulum will swing back and forth in a regular pattern and the period will be longer.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of pendulum measurements?

The accuracy of pendulum measurements can be affected by factors such as air resistance, friction in the pivot point, and small variations in the length of the pendulum. Additionally, any external forces acting on the pendulum, such as wind or vibrations, can also affect its accuracy.