Pendulum motion and pythagorean theorem

In summary, the equation for the position of a ball is y = L - [(L^2 - x^2)^1/2]. The solution is to find the hypotenuse of the second triangle that has the sides x and y. To do this, you need to know the equation for a right triangle with hypotenuse c.
sunnyday01

Homework Statement

Show that the relation between the horizontal and vertical components of the ball's position is given by the equation: y = L - [(L^2 - x^2)^1/2]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94066958@N08/8553595522/in/photostream/

Homework Equations

y = L - [(L^2 - x^2)^1/2]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the solution must involve Pythagorean theorem and drawing a second triangle.
The first triangle has hypotenuse of length L, and other sides are L-y and x. That identity is given by L^2 = (L-y)^2 - x^2.
Drawing a second triangle, the sides are x and y but I don't know what the identity of the hypotenuse is. that equation would be x^2 + y^2 = hypotenuse^2

I don't know where to go from there...

Attachments

• pendulum equation question.jpg
    pendulum equation question.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 573
Physics news on Phys.org
sunnyday01 said:

Homework Statement

Show that the relation between the horizontal and vertical components of the ball's position is given by the equation: y = L - [(L^2 - x^2)^1/2]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94066958@N08/8553595522/in/photostream/

Homework Equations

y = L - [(L^2 - x^2)^1/2]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the solution must involve Pythagorean theorem and drawing a second triangle.
The first triangle has hypotenuse of length L, and other sides are L-y and x. That identity is given by L^2 = (L-y)^2 - x^2.
Drawing a second triangle, the sides are x and y but I don't know what the identity of the hypotenuse is. that equation would be x^2 + y^2 = hypotenuse^2

I don't know where to go from there...
Hello sunnyday01. Welcome to PF !

If a & b are legs of a right triangle with hypotenuse, c, then
c2 = a2 + b2

In your equation, L^2 = (L-y)^2 - x^2, why do you have the sign between. (L-y)2 and x2 as a minus sign ?

formula correction

It should be:
L2 = (L-y)2 + x2

sunnyday01 said:
It should be:
L2 = (L-y)2 + x2
Yes.

... and that should be all you need to get the desired result.

I think I figured it out!

so, I think:
L2 = (L-y)2 + x2
L2-x2 = (L-y)2
(L2-x2)1/2 = L - y
-(L2-x2)1/2 = - L + y
L -(L2-x2)1/2 = y

I think that's it! Having to crop a picture for this question made me focus only on the variables I needed in the diagram.

I see the solution now is really simple, I feel silly for not seeing it sooner. Thank you for being so nice about it!

Related to Pendulum motion and pythagorean theorem

1. What is pendulum motion?

Pendulum motion is the movement of an object that swings back and forth around a fixed point, known as the pivot or point of suspension. This motion is governed by the force of gravity and is a type of harmonic motion.

2. How does the length of a pendulum affect its motion?

The length of a pendulum directly affects its period, or the time it takes for one full swing. The longer the length of the pendulum, the longer the period will be. This is because the longer pendulum has a larger arc, which means it takes more time to complete one full swing.

3. What is the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem is a mathematical formula that states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. It can be written as a² + b² = c², where a and b are the lengths of the two shorter sides and c is the length of the hypotenuse.

4. How is the Pythagorean theorem related to pendulum motion?

The Pythagorean theorem is used to calculate the length of the pendulum's arc, which is crucial in determining its period. By using the theorem to find the length of the hypotenuse (or the pendulum's path), we can then use this value to calculate the period of the pendulum's motion.

5. Can the Pythagorean theorem be used to analyze other types of motion?

Yes, the Pythagorean theorem can be applied to other types of motion, such as projectile motion or circular motion. It is a fundamental principle in mathematics and can be used in various physical and scientific concepts, including pendulum motion.