Pendulum fallacy - hovering rockets, still applies?

In summary, Michael's argument is that a rocket which is hovering would be better off having a payload hang below the rocket, rather than having a payload at the same level or above the thrusters. He does not provide any specific evidence to support his claim, and so it is up to others to decide if he is right or wrong.
michaeldk
Hi all!

I've come here to seek your expertise because I've ran into a bit of a heated discussion (well, heated from the other side ;-) about rockets, hovering and center of gravity.

Basically people are referencing to the pendulum fallacy when I say that a rocket which is hovering would be better off having a payload hang below the rocket, rather than having a payload at the same level or above the thrusters. I am by no means an expert, not even something distantly related to one! So it might well be that I am wrong, but everything that I do know about helicopters and general physics seems to indicate that having the payload hanging below the thrusters when hovering should be more stable.

Can anyone comment on this? I'd be greatly helped! I don't mind being proven wrong at all, but certainly would enjoy it of course if the logic I applied in the end made sense :)

- Michael

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

In short, since the direction of the force from the rocket engine is "rigidly" attached to and turning with the rocket body it does not in itself give any additional stability to mount the rocket engine at the top.

I recommend that you search for "rocket pendulum fallacy" and then return with specific questions if you come up empty handed or if the explanations you find do not make sense to you.

Filip Larsen said:
Welcome to PF!

In short, since the direction of the force from the rocket engine is "rigidly" attached to and turning with the rocket body it does not in itself give any additional stability to mount the rocket engine at the top.

I recommend that search for "rocket pendulum fallacy" and then return with specific questions if you come up empty handed or if the explanations you find do not make sense to you.

Filip, I did not specifically think of a rigidly or non-fixed configuration. I was actually referring to a situation where a payload would be attached in some way to a rocket-stabilized platform (with the intent to safely deliver the paypload to the terrain below). E.g. similar to how a helicopter would deliver a payload.

To be precise, I was talking (in the original discussion) about the latest schiaparelli layout versus a sky crane configuration as used by the NASA.

Well, the pendulum fallacy applies to rockets and other rigid objects with thrusts and not to applications like the Sky Crane technique where the payload really is hanging in wires that obviously have to be below the body doing the lifting.

If this does not help, perhaps you can find some specific questions or arguments from that discussion you had?

The thing about a simple pendulum subject to gravity is the force is always acting in the same direction, and is independent of the location of the system's C.G.; this is what makes it an inherently stable system. A rocket's force vector changes during flight, and so regardless of the thrust location a control system is required to maintain flight in a particular direction. Once a rocket is up to speed, the fins provide a level of stability as well.

See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendulum_rocket_fallacy
Wikipedia.org said:
It was believed that, in flight, the rocket would "hang" from the engine like a pendulum from a pivot, and the weight of the fuel tank would be all that was needed to keep the rocket flying straight up. This belief is incorrect. In actuality, the stability of such a rocket is dependent on other factors. Basic Newtonian mechanics shows that Goddard's rocket is just as stable (or unstable) as it would be if the engine had been mounted below the fuel tank (as it is in most modern rockets).[1]

Reference in Wikipedia Article: Jim Bowery, the Pendulum Rocket Fallacy
One of the two main places where intuition goes awry is in forgetting that a rocket engine is rigidly connected to the rest of the vehicle, so the engine's support of the vehicle changes direction along with the center of mass.

Mech_Engineer said:
The thing about a simple pendulum subject to gravity is the force is always acting in the same direction, and is independent of the location of the system's C.G.; this is what makes it an inherently stable system. A rocket's force vector changes during flight, and so regardless of the thrust location a control system is required to maintain flight in a particular direction. Once a rocket is up to speed, the fins provide a level of stability as well.

See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendulum_rocket_fallacyReference in Wikipedia Article: Jim Bowery, the Pendulum Rocket Fallacy

I have obviously read the article and read a lot more about it. However 99.999% of the cases what is discussed is a rocket in flight, not a rocket that is hovering or descending. And when we look at hovering vehicles suddenly the center of gravity does matter for stability, and I wonder why with rockets that wouldn't be the case. Thanks for your reply anyway!

What matters is the direction of the thrust vector w.r.t. the rocket's center of gravity. If the rocket's CG does not lie perfectly on a line defined by the thrust vector, there will be a small moment applied which will spin the rocket. This moment is never "naturally balanced" by the thrust vector; if the thrust is not vectored to compensate for angular deviation, the rocket will continue to spin and eventually crash.

In some sense, it is akin to balancing a pendulum from underneath; it can be done, but requires a control system since it is not an inherently balanced system. Sure in theory a pendulum balanced from underneath should be able to stay in place, but in reality it can never be "perfectly" balanced and so will always spin downward. Similarly regardless of the rocket's CG location, if the thrust vector's line of action does not perfectly correspond with the CG, residual forces from the thrust vector will spin the craft.

Related to Pendulum fallacy - hovering rockets, still applies?

1. What is the pendulum fallacy and how does it relate to hovering rockets?

The pendulum fallacy is a common misconception that states if a pendulum is suspended in the air, it will remain still due to the Earth's rotation. This fallacy is often applied to hovering rockets, with the belief that they should also remain still due to the Earth's rotation. However, this is not the case as the laws of physics governing pendulum motion do not apply to hovering rockets.

2. Why is the pendulum fallacy not applicable to hovering rockets?

The pendulum fallacy is not applicable to hovering rockets because the forces acting on a pendulum are different from the forces acting on a hovering rocket. A pendulum is affected by gravity and air resistance, while a hovering rocket is affected by thrust, air resistance, and the rotation of the Earth. Therefore, the laws of physics governing pendulum motion cannot be applied to hovering rockets.

3. Can hovering rockets remain stationary while the Earth is rotating?

Yes, hovering rockets can remain stationary while the Earth is rotating. This is because the rockets are equipped with thrusters that provide a force equal to the force of gravity, keeping them at a constant height. The rotation of the Earth does not affect the rockets as they are not attached to a fixed point on the Earth's surface.

4. How does the rotation of the Earth affect the trajectory of a hovering rocket?

The rotation of the Earth does not significantly affect the trajectory of a hovering rocket. This is because the rockets are designed to maintain a constant position in relation to the Earth's surface, regardless of its rotation. However, the rotation of the Earth may affect the time it takes for a rocket to travel from one point to another due to the Earth's curved surface.

5. Are there any other factors that affect the motion of hovering rockets?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the motion of hovering rockets, such as air resistance, wind, and the rocket's own propulsion system. These factors must be taken into consideration when designing and controlling hovering rockets to ensure their stability and accuracy in flight.