Pendulum Damping force effect on amplitude over time

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with setting up a model for the change in amplitude of a pendulum affected by a damping force. The original amplitude, mass, and damping force are given, and the participant is struggling with incorporating the velocity-dependent damping force into the equation. They consider using the pendulum's maximum velocity and the number of oscillations to estimate the decrease in acceleration and solve for amplitude. The suggestion to use Laplace transform and the resulting position output is also mentioned.
Dreshawn
I am struggling with setting up a problem to solve for the change in amplitude of a pendulum affected by a damping force (presumable air friction) over a time period.
The original amplitude of the pendulum is 1.4 m from the equilibrium on a 15 m massless wire with a 110 kg brass bob at the end. The damping force is 0.010 kg/s. This force is dependent on velocity and I have set up an equation for velocity dependent on time -
dv/dt = -ωAsin(ωt+Φ0). I know that this force will always oppose motion but I am having trouble putting these together to see the affect on the pendulum bob's acceleration and amplitude. I was wondering if I should just use the pendulums max velocity at the bottom to approximate this damping force & then apply this to the # of oscillations to get a rough estimate on the decrease of acceleration at the bottom & then solve for amplitude or if there is another more accurate way to solve this problem.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Dreshawn said:
The damping force is 0.010 kg/s.

The damping force is not constant: Fair(t) = -k * v(t), (assuming laminar airflow). k is a constant.

If you are able to, then setup a model using Laplace transform. You will get a position output from the model in the form:

Y(s) = A / (s2 + Bs + C) that can be rewritten:

Y(s) = A / (s2 + 2ζωns + ωn2), ξ = damping ratio, ωn = resonance frequency [rad/s].

The inverse transform of Y(s) will give you position(t).

post-1379-0-41542500-1345410496.jpg

Last edited:

Related to Pendulum Damping force effect on amplitude over time

What is a pendulum?

A pendulum is a weight suspended from a pivot point that swings back and forth under the influence of gravity.

What is damping force?

Damping force is a resistance force that opposes the motion of a pendulum, caused by factors such as air resistance and friction.

How does damping force affect the amplitude of a pendulum over time?

Damping force decreases the amplitude of a pendulum over time, causing it to swing with smaller and smaller arcs until it eventually comes to a stop.

How can damping force be measured and controlled?

Damping force can be measured by recording the amplitude of a pendulum over time and comparing it to theoretical predictions. It can be controlled by adjusting factors such as the length and weight of the pendulum or by reducing external forces such as air resistance.

What are the practical applications of studying pendulum damping force?

The study of pendulum damping force is important in fields such as engineering and physics, as it can help optimize the design and functioning of pendulum-based devices such as clocks and seismometers.