Pendulum conservation of energy

In summary, the block and bullet need a speed of √(gR) at the top in order to stay on a circular trajectory. If the kinetic energy at the bottom is just barely greater than the PE change corresponding to a height of 2R, then you would have to throw the block straight upward to reach a height of 2R.
alingy1
Please look at pictures.

There is something really weird going on.
They say the bob has to make a vertical circle. Then, in the solutions, they say that, for that to happen, speed at top must be greater than zero.

BUT, since the only force acting is mg, that means that mg=mv^2/r. <=> v=sqroot(rg)

This is my solution:
vbob+bullet=sqroot(rg)=4.43m/s.
m1 vbullet=(m1+m2) vbob+bullet.

vbullet=137 m/s.

Who is right?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 10.45.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 10.45.38 PM.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 529
  • Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 10.49.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 10.49.52 PM.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 544
Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct about the block and bullet needing a speed of √(gR) at the top.

But did you take into account that gravity will slow down the block and bullet as they travel from the bottom to the top of the circle?

They say the bob has to make a vertical circle. Then, in the solutions, they say that, for that to happen, speed at top must be greater than zero.
If the speed at the top were exactly zero, then why would the bob continue in a circle at all? Why not just fall down?

BUT, since the only force acting is mg, that means that mg=mv^2/r. <=> v=sqroot(rg)
This equation is saying that the centripetal force is completely provided by the gravitational force ... this can only happen when the gravitational force is pointing centripetally: towards the center of the circle.
Is that always the case?

Good remark. I see the flaw in my logic.
Here is the correction:
Energy at top=1/2 mv^2 + mgh=6.08 J + 24.304 J=30.384 J
Energy at the bottom= 30.384 J=1/2 mv^2 initial of block + bullet.
vinitial of block + bullet =9.9 m/s.

vbullet= 306.9 m/s^2.

Seems right?

By the way, I think I understand what is going on. The word "around" can either mean at the opposite side of the initial position OR actually moving a full 360° in a circle. This is what happens when language mixes in with physics ;)

alingy1 said:
Good remark. I see the flaw in my logic.
Here is the correction:
Energy at top=1/2 mv^2 + mgh=6.08 J + 24.304 J=30.384 J
Energy at the bottom= 30.384 J=1/2 mv^2 initial of block + bullet.
vinitial of block + bullet =9.9 m/s.

vbullet= 306.9 m/s^2.

Seems right?

Looks good. Often there's an advantage to not plugging numbers in until the last. If you set up the energy conservation is symbols you have

Ebottom = Etop

(1/2)(m1+m2)Vb2 = (1/2)(m1+m2)Vt2 + (m1+m2)g(2R)

Vb2 = Vt2 +4gR

Vb2 = gR + 4gR = 5gR

Vb = √(5gR)

Vbullet = 31Vbottom = 31√(5gR)

alingy1 said:
By the way, I think I understand what is going on. The word "around" can either mean at the opposite side of the initial position OR actually moving a full 360° in a circle. This is what happens when language mixes in with physics ;)

Yes. But if the block and bullet do not have a speed of at least √(gR) at the top, then the tension in the string will go slack before reaching maximum height. The block will then not stay on a circular trajectory, it will go into parabolic projectile motion. The problem states that the block goes all the way around a vertical circle.

TSny, if the ball has just a bit more energy than the potential energy change in the height difference, the ball will make it to the top (at the opposite side "around in the second sense given to the word in the dictionary") BUT, it will at that moment stop going in a vertical circle and go into a parabolic motion.

Am I making sense?

To stay on the circle all the way to the top you would need to have a minimum speed of √(gR) at the top of the circle or a minimum speed of √(5gR) at the bottom. Any speed less than this and the systems will not stay on the circle all the way to the top.

If the kinetic energy at the bottom is just barely greater than the PE change corresponding to a height of 2R, then you would have to throw the block straight upward to reach a height of 2R. That would not be staying on the circle.

Related to Pendulum conservation of energy

1. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system will remain constant over time.

2. How does a pendulum demonstrate conservation of energy?

A pendulum demonstrates conservation of energy by converting potential energy (stored in its raised position) into kinetic energy (as it swings back and forth) and back again, without any energy being lost or gained in the process.

3. What factors affect the conservation of energy in a pendulum?

The conservation of energy in a pendulum can be affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the bob at the end of the string, and the amplitude (height) of the swing. These factors can impact the potential and kinetic energy of the system.

4. How does the conservation of energy in a pendulum relate to the laws of motion?

The conservation of energy in a pendulum is related to the laws of motion through the principles of inertia and acceleration. The pendulum's motion is governed by the laws of motion, and the conservation of energy ensures that the total energy in the system will remain constant.

5. Can energy ever be lost in a pendulum system?

According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be lost in a pendulum system. However, some energy may be lost due to friction and air resistance, which can cause the pendulum to slow down over time. These losses are minimal and do not significantly impact the conservation of energy in the system.