Pendulum, conservation of energy theorem

In summary, the problem is asking for the speed of a pendulum with a length of 2 meters and a mass of 2kg when it is at its lowest point. Using the equations for kinetic and potential energy, the total energy of the pendulum can be calculated at any point along its swing. However, the mistake in the given solution is that the potential energy term is using the wrong distance from the starting point. By correctly calculating the distance below the starting point, the correct solution of 2.9 m/s can be obtained.
fishingspree2

Homework Statement

A simple pendulum whose length is L=2 meters has a mass of m=2kg. When the angle between the pendulum and the vertical is 35 degrees, it has a speed of 1.2 m/s. Find the pendulum's speed when the pendulum is at its lowest height.

Homework Equations

K = 0.5mv2
U = mgh
E = K+U

The Attempt at a Solution

I arbitrarily set that h=0 when theta = 35 degrees
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/4803/pend1cs5.jpg
NOTE: I have found the right answer by setting h=0 at the pendulum's lowest point, but I can't find the right answer when I set h=0 when theta = 35 degrees. Since h=0 can be arbitrarily set, I would like to know where is the mistake.

Since E = K + U, and U = 0
then E = K = 0.5mv2 = 0.5(2)(1.22)= 1.44 J
Now, at any point E = K + U = mg*-[L-Lcos(theta)] + 0.5mv2 = mg[Lcos(theta) - L] + 0.5mv2

Now, I am pretty sure the error is in what follows:
At the pendulum's lowest point, theta = 0 degrees
then mg[Lcos(theta) - L] + 0.5mv2 = 0.5mv2 = 1.44 J, solving for v gives back the 1.22 m/s, which is clearly not the answer. If i set theta = 35 degrees, I get v = 2.38 m/s, which is also not correct.

The correct answer is 2.9 m/s
Can anyone help?

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
fishingspree2 said:
Since E = K + U, and U = 0
then E = K = 0.5mv2 = 0.5(2)(1.22)= 1.44 J
Now, at any point E = K + U = mg*-[L-Lcos(theta)] + 0.5mv2 = mg[Lcos(theta) - L] + 0.5mv2
The problem is in your PE term. You need the distance below the start point, which is where θ = 35 degrees. (Why not just calculate that distance for the bottom position? That's what your expression gives if you put θ=35.)

Doc Al said:
The problem is in your PE term. You need the distance below the start point, which is where θ = 35 degrees. (Why not just calculate that distance for the bottom position? That's what your expression gives if you put θ=35.)

hmm this is what I did: Since d = L cos theta and the pendulum's length = L, then the distance below the starting point is the -(distance between the blue sphere and the red horizontal line), which is = -(L - L*cos(theta)). Isn't that what we need?
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/9596/pend2rj9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
fishingspree2 said:
hmm this is what I did: Since d = L cos theta and the pendulum's length = L, then the distance below the starting point is the -(distance between the blue sphere and the red horizontal line), which is = -(L - L*cos(theta)). Isn't that what we need?
Sure. As long as θ = 35. (θ is your initial angle, not the final angle.)

Related to Pendulum, conservation of energy theorem

1. What is a pendulum?

A pendulum is a weight suspended from a pivot point that is free to swing back and forth under the influence of gravity.

2. How does a pendulum demonstrate the conservation of energy theorem?

A pendulum demonstrates the conservation of energy theorem by constantly converting between potential energy and kinetic energy as it swings back and forth. At the highest point of its swing, the pendulum has the most potential energy, which is then converted into kinetic energy as it falls back towards the pivot point. This conversion continues throughout the pendulum's motion, resulting in a constant total energy.

3. What factors affect the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum, or the time it takes to complete one full swing, is affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the weight, and the strength of gravity. A longer pendulum will have a longer period, while a heavier weight will have a shorter period. The strength of gravity also affects the period, with a stronger gravity resulting in a shorter period.

4. Can a pendulum ever reach its initial height again?

No, a pendulum cannot reach its initial height again due to the effects of air resistance and friction. These forces cause the pendulum to lose energy over time, resulting in smaller and smaller swings until it eventually comes to a stop.

5. How is the conservation of energy theorem applied in other fields of science?

The conservation of energy theorem is a fundamental principle in physics and is applied in various fields of science, such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism. It is used to explain the constant total energy of a system and how energy is transferred and transformed between different forms.