Pendulum and Oscillating Motion

In summary, the discussion revolves around finding the tension in a string attached to a pendulum with specific measurements. The equation F=m((v^2)/r) is used to calculate the tension, but there is some confusion about the correct values to use. It is determined that the tension is equal to the centripetal force minus the weight of the object. The final answer for the tension is 11.9225N.
JJones_86

Homework Statement

A pendulum is 0.8 m long and the bob has a mass of 1.0 kg. At the bottom of its swing, the bob's speed is 1.3 m/s. What is the tension in the string at the bottom of the swing?

Homework Equations

F=m((v^2)/r)

The Attempt at a Solution

F= 1.0kg((1.3 m/s^2)/.08)
F= 2.1125

--------------------
I must be using the wrong equation or numbers.. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The velocity is squared so your force would be F= 1.0kg((1.3 m/s)^2/.08)

Oh, i meant 21.125, but I am still getting the wrong answer.

I'm getting F= 2.1125N...maybe its trying to keep track of significant figures...in that case I'm thinking it would be F = 2N

Yeah, I've tried all those answers, am I even using the right equation? Would the radius really be 0.8 m since the string is 0.8 m and not perpendicular to the Earth's gravitational pull?

yup...the problem says the string is .8 m. Looks like I missed something too. The centripetal force is 2N, which is the force of the object's "inertia" on the string. At the bottom the object's weight also contributes to the tension...so you'll have to add the two.

So it would be 11.9225N?

The centripetal force will be the Tension minus the weight. You should then be able to solve for the tension.

Related to Pendulum and Oscillating Motion

1. What is a pendulum?

A pendulum is a weight suspended from a pivot point that swings back and forth under the influence of gravity. It is often used in clocks and other timekeeping devices.

2. What factors affect the motion of a pendulum?

The motion of a pendulum is affected by its length, mass, and the force of gravity. The longer the pendulum, the slower it swings. The heavier the weight, the faster it swings. Gravity also plays a role in the speed and direction of the pendulum's swing.

3. What is the relationship between the length of a pendulum and its period?

The length of a pendulum is directly proportional to its period, which is the time it takes for one complete swing. This means that the longer the pendulum, the longer its period and the slower it swings.

4. How does a pendulum demonstrate oscillating motion?

A pendulum demonstrates oscillating motion by constantly swinging back and forth between two points. This is due to the force of gravity pulling the pendulum towards its equilibrium position and the inertia of the weight causing it to swing back and forth.

5. How is the motion of a pendulum used in real-life applications?

The motion of a pendulum is used in various real-life applications, such as in clocks, metronomes, and seismometers. It is also used to study and demonstrate principles of physics, such as energy conservation and harmonic motion.