Pencil movement on a no-friction table

In summary, the question is asking whether the center mass of a pencil will reach the end of a table faster when a force is applied at its center mass or at its edge. Two teachers gave different explanations, with one saying it will happen at the same time in both cases and the other saying it will happen at the same time but with different energies involved. The discussion then delves into the concept of work and how it relates to the distance and rotation of the pencil. The conclusion is that the pencil will reach the end of the table faster when the force is applied at the center mass.
DimosNat

Homework Statement

YqyEYmM.jpg
[/B]
So here is the problem:
We have a pencil , horizontally towards us, sitting on a table(see the picture). There are no external forces applying on the system table-pencil and friction of air doesn't exist. There is also no friction between the pencil and the table.
So, we apply the same force F two times. The first time we apply the force on the point M (see the picture) which is the center mass of the pencil. The second time we apply the same force on the point A which is the edge of the pencil.The force is applied vertical on the pencil in both cases (see the picture).
Question:
The center mass of the pencil will reach the end of the table:
a) faster when F is applied on the center mass of the pencil , point M.
b) faster when F is applied on the edge of the pencil, point A.
c) at the same time in both cases.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I have argued with two of my high school physicists about this problem and both gave me a different explanation, but I disagree with both of them, so here are the two opinions of my teachers and my opinion.

1st teacher:
The first teacher answers c .
His explanation is that in both cases the pencil will only have linear kinetic energy so it will reach the end of the table at the same time in both cases.

2nd teacher:
The second teacher answers c.
His explanation is that in the first case,when F is applied on M (center mass), the pencil will reach the end of the table in t seconds and F will produce work W which will be transformend into linear kinetic energy E1.
In the second case though, the pencil will acquire both linear and rotational kinetic energy and F will produce a bigger amount of Work. A part of that Work will be transformed into linear kinetic energy E2 and the rest into rotational kinetic energy. He also said that E1=E2 and that's why the pencil will reach the end of the table at the same time t in either case.

He also said that ΣF=macm and because F is the same in both cases the
acceleration of the center mass will be the same.

My opinion:
I disagree with them both and i believe that correct answer is a.
I believe that in both cases F will produce the same amount of work W.
In the first case all of this amount will be transformed in linear kinetic energy.
In the second case a part of Work will be transformed into linear kinetic energy and the rest will become rotational kinetic energy, and this is why the pencil will reach the end of the table faster when F is applied on M.

P.S: My answer to the first teacher who supported that the pencil will only do linear movement and no rotational movement when F is applied on A:
If the pencil doesn't do rotational movement then it should be ΣT=0 (t=torque) as to any point of the pencil.
So, if we consider that the rotation axis is on point M and that the length of the pencil is x then we have:
ΣΤΜ=0 <=> F*(x/2)=0 then F=0 or x=0 which is wrong.

I would really appreciate some help on this point.
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
DimosNat said:
The force is applied vertical on the pencil in both cases
I assume you mean horizontally, the picture being the view from above.
DimosNat said:
in both cases the pencil will only have linear kinetic energy
Clearly not. In the second case it will also have rotational energy.
DimosNat said:
ΣF=macm and because F is the same in both cases the
acceleration of the center mass will be the same.
Correct explanation. The preceding discussion of energies is true but does not constitute a proof.
DimosNat said:
in both cases F will produce the same amount of work W.
Only if F advances the same distance. In the second case the rotation of the pencil means the force will get to advance further.

Likes DimosNat
haruspex said:
Only if F advances the same distance. In the second case the rotation of the pencil means the force will get to advance further.
Namely, in the second case F will produce more work in comparison with the first case ,because the pencil in the same amount of time t will advance the same distance d and will rotate θ rad.
So W1=E1=F*d
while W2=E2=F*d + F*(x/2)*θ
W1<W2
Is that right?

DimosNat said:
Namely, in the second case F will produce more work in comparison with the first case ,because the pencil in the same amount of time t will advance the same distance d and will rotate θ rad.
So W1=E1=F*d
while W2=E2=F*d + F*(x/2)*θ
W1<W2
Is that right?
Yes.

1. How does the friction of a table affect the movement of a pencil?

The friction of a table can significantly impact the movement of a pencil. With no friction, the pencil will continue to move in a straight line at a constant speed. However, with friction, the pencil will experience resistance and slow down, causing it to eventually stop moving.

2. What factors influence the friction of a table?

The friction of a table can be influenced by various factors, including the type of surface material (e.g. wood, metal, plastic), the texture of the surface, the weight of the pencil, and the force applied to the pencil.

3. How does the weight of a pencil affect its movement on a no-friction table?

The weight of a pencil can affect its movement on a no-friction table. A lighter pencil will experience less resistance and will travel further before coming to a stop. On the other hand, a heavier pencil will experience more resistance and will have a shorter distance of travel before stopping.

4. Can a pencil move in a circular motion on a no-friction table?

Yes, a pencil can move in a circular motion on a no-friction table. This is because there is no resistance to the movement of the pencil, allowing it to change its direction easily. The pencil will continue to move in a circular path until an external force is applied to change its direction.

5. How does the surface texture of a table affect the movement of a pencil?

The surface texture of a table can greatly impact the movement of a pencil. A rougher surface will create more friction, causing the pencil to slow down and stop sooner. A smoother surface will create less friction, allowing the pencil to travel further before coming to a stop.