Pelton Turbine selection

• Thread starter I_am_learning
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Turbine
In summary, when using a head of water, this fixes the jet velocity of water, and for maximum energy transfer, the turbine bucket velocity should equal the turbine's specific speed. Turbine diameter and number of poles are decided by how much power the generator can produce.
I_am_learning
When I have a certain head (H) of water, this fixes the jet velocity of water as
V = sqrt(2gH). And for maximum energy transfer, turbine bucket velocity should equal,
V(b) = V/2.
Now, I am confused at how do you determine the Turbine diameter and no. of Poles to be used in the generator.
I mean, you could go for, smaller diameter (hence higher RPM to maintain V(b) = V/2) and so, choose lower poles generator (to maintain 50 Hz output), OR you could go for large diameter (hence lower RPM to maintain V(b) = V/2) and choose higher Poles generator (to maintain 50Hz output).
How do you decide?
Ask if something isn't clear.
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would think that desired power output would be a factor in the size of Pelton wheel.

Yes power must come into consideration, but I can't find how.
Can somebody also explain me about specific speed, it seems to be necessary here. Wiki says, the specific speed of a turbine is the speed at which a geometrically similar unit would run if it were exposed to Q = 1 and H = 1.
How does that help me?

Last edited:
I am not a Pelton wheel expert but

Power : Pmax = ρghQ

So from that, and solving for Q, the volume flow rate, you know how much fluid the buckets of the Pelton wheel need to discharge, and necessarily their size. ( There must be a guideline to find that out somewhere which gives optimal size )
This is in relation to the nozzle size which has to discharge Q at the bucket, and you can calculate the nozzle diameter, or more specificialy the jet diameter, and a corresponding bucket size. Note that you can add more jets for increased power, or for the same power decrease the jet size with multiple jets.

As for the number of poles on the generator, someone versed in electrical generators might answer that in more detail, but i would imagine it has something to do with volts, current, and how much copper wire you can wind around the poles in the generator in the given space, taking into account the current carrying capacity of the wire.

Specific speed relates to dimensional analyis comparing one turbine to another geometrically similar - scale model to the real thing quite possibly, or adding another turbine to an existing facility. I am not sure if that helps you out as you seem to be designing from scratch.

I hope that helps you get started.
Please take into account that I am out on a linb here.

Related to Pelton Turbine selection

What is a Pelton Turbine?

A Pelton turbine is a type of water turbine used to generate electricity from the energy of moving water. It is designed for high head, low flow applications and is commonly used in hydroelectric power plants.

How does a Pelton Turbine work?

A Pelton turbine works by using the kinetic energy of a jet of water to rotate a runner with spoon-shaped buckets. The water jet is directed onto the buckets, causing them to turn and drive the generator to produce electricity.

What factors should be considered when selecting a Pelton Turbine?

The main factors to consider when selecting a Pelton Turbine include the available head and flow of water, the type of water source (e.g. river or dam), the desired power output, and the site conditions (e.g. altitude, temperature).

What are the advantages of using a Pelton Turbine?

Pelton turbines have a high efficiency and can handle a wide range of heads and flows, making them suitable for a variety of sites. They are also durable and low maintenance, with a long lifespan and low operating costs.

Are there any limitations to using a Pelton Turbine?

One limitation of Pelton turbines is that they are not as efficient at low heads and high flows compared to other types of turbines. They also require a significant amount of space and can be expensive to install, making them more suitable for larger scale projects.