Einstein's General and Special Theory of Relativity

In summary, Einstein's theories of Special and General Relativity have been tested against two atomic clocks, one on Earth and one on a fast moving jet, with different results. While there are other formulas besides E=MC2, the laws of physics are not solely based on Einstein's theories but rather on observation. The laws of physics can be expressed mathematically through differential equations, allowing for predictions and understanding of the universe.
Radiatedtheory18
i have a few questions about both of these theories that Einstein wrote.

1. Was one of these theories tested against 2 atomic clocks, one which is on Earth and the other on a fast jet going around the earth, both clocks syncronised and the results were different, which theory was tested with this?

2. E=MC2 vs E=MC3. would the laws of physics change if we had a formula E=MC3?.Would E=MC3not work due to that the tests of this formula would not be proved properly? Am i talking Theorectial Physics here lol?

3. I am aware that there are other formulas other than Einsteins one, i was thinking are all the laws of physics based on Einsteins Special and General Theory of Relativity? because the laws would have to have a base of some sort? do we base these laws from einsteins theories to come up with new formulas to work out specific solutions to problems involving physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
re - "1. Was one of these theories tested against 2 atomic clocks, one which is on Earth and the other on a fast jet going around the earth, both clocks syncronised and the results were different, which theory was tested with this?"

Yes.

re - "E=MC2 vs E=MC3. would the laws of physics change if we had a formula E=MC3?.Would E=MC3not work due to that the tests of this formula would not be proved properly? Am i talking Theorectial Physics here lol?"

I don't know. That's like asking what President Bush's personality would be like if he was someone else. However E = mc^3 does not have the dimensions of energy. It has the dimensionf of Energy*speed

re - "3. I am aware that there are other formulas other than Einsteins one, i was thinking are all the laws of physics based on Einsteins Special and General Theory of Relativity?"

No. Relativity makes statements about what the laws of nature are like. But only in that sense are they based on relativity. I.e. Relativity says the the laws of physics are the same in all coordinate systems.

Laws are based on observation.

Pmb

The only thing that we can observe is how the universe changes. In terms of mathematics this is differentials. We are able to express the changes we observe in the universe as mathematical differentials. Thus we create a differential equation which models the changes of the universe. It seems that solutions of these differential equations are accurate reflections of actual events. Thus we are able to make predictions based on solutions of differential equations. For example.

We have observed that the acceleration due to gravity is a constant, thus a falling body experences a constant acceleration. Mathematically we say x'' = -g . Where x'' is the second deriviative of x with respect to time. Solution of this differential equation is

x = -(gt^2)/2 + V0t + x0

the equation of motion for a falling body.

What is the difference between General and Special Theory of Relativity?

The Special Theory of Relativity, published in 1905 by Albert Einstein, deals with the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity. It explains how the laws of physics are the same for all non-accelerating observers, and introduces the concept of time dilation and length contraction. The General Theory of Relativity, published in 1915, expands on the Special Theory by including the effects of gravity. It describes how mass and energy influence the curvature of spacetime, and how this curvature affects the motion of objects.

What is the significance of Einstein's Theory of Relativity?

Einstein's Theory of Relativity revolutionized our understanding of space, time, and gravity. It provided a new framework for understanding the laws of physics and has been confirmed by countless experiments and observations. Its equations have been used to explain everything from the behavior of planets and stars to the workings of GPS technology. It also paved the way for other important theories, such as quantum mechanics and the Big Bang theory.

How does the Theory of Relativity challenge our conventional understanding of space and time?

The Theory of Relativity challenges our conventional understanding of space and time by showing that they are not absolute, but are instead interconnected and influenced by the presence of mass and energy. It also introduced the concept of spacetime, where space and time are not separate entities, but rather one interconnected fabric.

Can the Theory of Relativity be applied to everyday situations?

Yes, the Theory of Relativity has practical applications in many areas of our daily lives. For example, it helps us understand and improve technologies such as GPS and satellite communication, as well as the behavior of objects moving at high speeds, such as airplanes and spacecraft. It also has implications for our understanding of the universe and how it functions.

Is the Theory of Relativity still relevant today?

Yes, the Theory of Relativity is still relevant and widely used in modern physics. Its principles have been repeatedly confirmed by experiments and observations, and its equations are essential for many areas of research, including cosmology, astrophysics, and particle physics. The theory continues to be studied and expanded upon by scientists around the world.