Pedal-force for bicycle @ 43.2mph ?

• Thread starter DannoXYZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bicycle
In summary: The answer is to put a strain gauge in the pedal or some other way to measure the actual force exerted by the rider, and measure the weight of the bike. In summary, to reach a speed of 43.2mph on a racing bike, a rider would need to produce 1500 watts of power. This can be achieved by generating a pedal force of 624 N or by using a gear ratio of 4:1 and pedaling at a rate of 135 rpm. However, this may be difficult to sustain for an extended period of time due to limitations in the rider's strength and the varying demands from wind, grade, and acceleration. It is also possible for a rider to create additional pedal force by pulling
DannoXYZ
Pedal-force for bicycle @ 43.2mph ?

I heard that bike-racers can put put 1500 watts in sprints. Using this site: http://www.noping.net/english and entering the following:

- Racing bike - hands on the drops
- weight = 170 lbs
- power = 1500 watts

Then hit CALCULATE button and I get a speed of 43.2mph. I came up with this diagram to figure out all the forces and torques in order to come up with pedal-force:
SprintPower1.gif

0.336m = Wr = Wheel Radius
0.170m = CL = Crank length

Given 52x13t gear ratio of 4:1, Tc = 4*Tw; torque at crank is 4x higher than torque at wheels.

Then using this site: http://www.analyticcycling.com/GearCadenceSpeed_Page.html, I enter:
speed = 43.2mph
chainring = 53t
cog = 13t
wheel-diameter = 0.672m

Click on RUN MODEL and I get 135 rpms at the crank.

What stops me next is how to figure out what PF - pedal force is in order to generate 1500w and go 43.2mph @ 135rpms. ?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

The fastest way would be to identified your foot' speed.

v = 135 rpm * (pi/30 rad/s/rpm) * 0.170 m

v = 2.4 m/s

Then the force is:

F = P/v = 1500 W / 2.4 m/s

F = 624 N (= 140 lb)

Longer way:

The tire friction force is:

Ft = 1500 W / (43.2 mph * 0.44704 m/s/mph)

Ft = 77.67 N

The torque at the wheel:

Tw = 77.67 N * 0.336 m

Tw = 26.1 N.m

The torque at the pedal:

Tp = 26.1 N.m * 53/13

Tp = 106.4 N.m

Force at the pedal:

F = 106.4 N.m / 0.170 m

F = 625.9 N

The difference only lies in the rounding-off error (the actual crank rpm is 134.6 rpm).

This is a little high, as it should be.

If you burn 1500J/s, that doesn't mean you are doing 1500W of work on the pedals. A lot of this energy is being lost elsewhere.

Thanks Jack, the 1st way really was simple. :)

It may appear pedal-force is high, top-sprinters can exert quite a bit of force on their pedals. Due to the alternating motion, it's only coming mostly from one leg at a time. And we're calculating perfectly symmetric motion, but I suspect the up-stroke has minimal power. So the downstroke would have to be even higher than the numbers we're coming up with.

Chris Hoy has been measured at 2300 watts max and he can sustain 1000w for just over 60-seconds... wow...

I was just watching a TV science/game show the other day. The contestants had to guess what type of electrical appliance they could turn on with a continuous effort: a 100 W light bulb, a 350 W mixer or a 1500 W iron. Once they chose, they went on a bike connected to a generator and tried to turn on the appliances.

The woman reached a peak (not an average) of 200 W and the man went up to 300 W. These were un-prepared average joe. So, yes, a 1000 W for 60 s sounds pretty impressive to me!

Furthermore, 1 hp = 746 W, hence that means that he is stronger than an average horse for about 1 min, think about it ... that is freaky!

Limited by Force on Pedal

I am a bike rider with a background in engineering physics. I took measurements from my mountain bike and wondered where the reports of 600 W power exerted by a Tour racer came from. What are they measuring to make the calculation and what limits are there to what a rider can exert?

Since forces from wind, grade, and acceleration are variable it seems like the force at the drive wheel or on the pedals should be the sum of all demands on the rider at any instant. Since the direct measure of force at the drive wheel tire surface would be more difficult to measure, the force at the pedal must be more easily come by.

The force stroke at the crank (up (toe clips)+ down, Fo) may be assumed constant for this estimate, but the definition of work is the scalar product of the distance moved and the vector of the force in the direction of motion. To simplify, the vector of force = Fo * sinθ , where θ is the angle of the crank from the positive vertical. To get the work done through the first pi/2 radians, the expression must be integrated between these limits, giving: Fo*Rp = Work Done through pi/2 radians, Rp being the radius of the crank (170 mm for my bike).

To get work done for a complete cycle of the crank multiply by 4. And to get the power (rate of work) multiply by the RPS (revolutions/sec) applied at the crank.

I assumed that the maximum force I could exert would be my full weight alternately applied to each pedal during 1 cycle of the crank. I assumed a 'reasonable max' of 2 RPS under these conditions and calculated just under 1100 W. Riding your bike may convince you that this is an unattainable max with rider weight and crank radius being limits.

Can a rider create additional pedal force by pulling up on handle bar while pushing down on pedal? Would allow a force greater than rider weight?

VanDerRider said:
Can a rider create additional pedal force by pulling up on handle bar while pushing down on pedal? Would allow a force greater than rider weight?

Yes.

Just imagine putting springs under your shoes and resting on the floor inside your house. Your spring will collapse under your weight. Now put your hands on the ceiling and push: The springs collapse even more. In this case, the house represents your bicycle.

If you pull up on the bike and the bike doesn't move, it means that you were pushing down on it somehow, i.e on the brake pedal with your foot (or it might of been on the seat with your butt! :smile:).

Related to Pedal-force for bicycle @ 43.2mph ?

1. What is the maximum pedal-force needed to maintain a speed of 43.2mph on a bicycle?

The maximum pedal-force needed to maintain a speed of 43.2mph on a bicycle varies depending on factors such as the weight of the rider, the terrain, and the type of bicycle. However, on average, it takes around 200-300 watts of power to maintain this speed.

2. How does the pedal-force required change with different gear ratios?

The pedal-force required to maintain a speed of 43.2mph on a bicycle also depends on the gear ratio. Generally, a higher gear ratio will require more pedal-force, while a lower gear ratio will require less pedal-force. This is because a higher gear ratio means the pedals need to rotate more to turn the wheels once, resulting in more pedal-force being needed.

3. Can a rider maintain a speed of 43.2mph on a bicycle for an extended period of time?

Maintaining a speed of 43.2mph on a bicycle for an extended period of time would be very difficult for most riders. This is because it requires a significant amount of power and effort to maintain such a high speed. Most riders will only be able to maintain this speed for short bursts of time.

4. How does wind resistance affect the required pedal-force at 43.2mph?

Wind resistance plays a significant role in the required pedal-force to maintain a speed of 43.2mph on a bicycle. The higher the speed, the more wind resistance there is, meaning more pedal-force is needed to overcome it. This is why it can be more challenging to maintain high speeds on windy days.

5. What is the average speed a professional cyclist can maintain on a bicycle?

The average speed that a professional cyclist can maintain on a bicycle varies depending on the type of race and terrain. However, in a flat race, professional cyclists can maintain speeds of 25-28mph for an extended period of time. For shorter sprints, they can reach speeds of over 40mph.