Finding the angle between 2 vectors

In summary, to find the angle between two vectors in 3D, you can use the dot product formula: \theta = \arccos{\left( \frac{\vec{a} \cdot \vec{b}}{|\vec{a}||\vec{b}|}\right)}. This involves finding the dot product of the two vectors and the magnitude of each vector. Thanks to Cookiemonster for providing the formula.
PinkFlamingo
Could someone refresh my memory how to find the angle between 2 vectors in 3d, say:

a= 4i + j + 2k
b= -i +2j + k

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
dot product

a.b = |a||b|cos (ang)

So how would I find the angle for the two I posted?

He just told you. Solve for theta and plug and chug.

[tex]\theta = \arccos{\left( \frac{\vec{a} \cdot \vec{b}}{|\vec{a}||\vec{b}|\right)}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{a}\cdot\vec{b} = a_1b_1 + a_2b_2 + a_3b_3[/tex]
and
[tex]|\vec{a}| = \sqrt{{a_1}^2 + {a_2}^2 + {a_3}^2}[/tex]

if [itex]\vec{a} = <a_1,a_2,a_3>[/itex] and likewise for b.

cookiemonster

Last edited:
Nice thinking Cookieman...

Thank you!

What is the definition of an angle between 2 vectors?

The angle between 2 vectors is the amount of rotation that is needed to align one vector with the other. It is measured in degrees or radians.

How do you find the angle between 2 vectors?

To find the angle between 2 vectors, you can use the dot product formula: θ = arccos((a · b) / (|a| * |b|)), where a and b are the vectors and |a| and |b| are the magnitudes of the vectors.

What is the range of possible angles between 2 vectors?

The range of possible angles between 2 vectors is from 0 to 180 degrees (or 0 to π radians). This is because vectors can either be aligned (0 degrees) or completely opposite (180 degrees).

Can the angle between 2 vectors be negative?

No, the angle between 2 vectors cannot be negative. It is always measured as the smallest angle between the two vectors and is always positive.

What is the relationship between the dot product and the angle between 2 vectors?

The dot product is directly related to the angle between 2 vectors. The dot product is equal to the product of the magnitudes of the vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. This means that the dot product becomes larger as the angle between the vectors gets smaller, and vice versa.