PDE Solving Continuity Equation

In summary, the Continuity Equation is a linear partial differential equation that represents the conservation of mass in a fluid flow. The solution to this equation can be found by assuming that the velocity components, $U$ and $V$, are constants and using the formula $c(x,y,t) = c(x - u\ t, y - v\ t)$, where $u$ and $v$ are the speeds in the $X$ and $Y$ direction respectively. The initial condition for this specific case involves a circular spot with a radius of 0.04 centered at (0.5,0.5) and traveling with speeds $u$ and $v$ in the $X$ and $Y$ direction respectively.
shen07
Hi, I am trying to find the exact solution of the Continuity Equation. Any Idea how can i start solving it, i need it for some calculation in Image Processing.

$$\pd{C}{t}+\pd{UC}{x}+\pd{VC}{y}=0$$

Where $U$ and $V$ is velocity in $X$ and $Y$ direction. The initial condition is as follows.$$C(x,y,0)=\left\{ \begin{array}{cc}
1\enspace \text{if}\;\sqrt{(x-0.5)^2+(y-0.5)^2}\le0.2\\

0\enspace\enspace \text{otherwise} \end{array} \right.
$$

Physics news on Phys.org
shen07 said:
Hi, I am trying to find the exact solution of the Continuity Equation. Any Idea how can i start solving it, i need it for some calculation in Image Processing.

$$\pd{C}{t}+\pd{UC}{x}+\pd{VC}{y}=0$$

Where $U$ and $V$ is velocity in $X$ and $Y$ direction. The initial condition is as follows.$$C(x,y,0)=\left\{ \begin{array}{cc}
1\enspace \text{if}\;\sqrt{(x-0.5)^2+(y-0.5)^2}\le0.2\\

0\enspace\enspace \text{otherwise} \end{array} \right.
$$
If You assume that u and v are constants, then the PDE becomes...

$\displaystyle c_{t} + u\ c_{x} + v\ c_{y} = 0\ (1)$

... which is linear... in this case the solution is of the type...

$\displaystyle c(x,y,t) = c(x - u\ t, y - v\ t)\ (2)$

... and in this particular case You have a circular spot of radious .04 centered at t=0 in (.5,.5) and traveling with speed u in the x direction and with speed v in the y direction...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:

Related to PDE Solving Continuity Equation

1. What is the continuity equation?

The continuity equation is a mathematical expression that describes the conservation of mass in a fluid flow. It states that the rate of change of mass in a given volume is equal to the net flow of mass into or out of that volume.

2. What is PDE solving in the context of the continuity equation?

PDE (Partial Differential Equation) solving refers to using mathematical methods to find a solution to the continuity equation in a specific scenario. This involves using numerical or analytical techniques to solve the equation and determine the flow of the fluid in a particular system.

3. What are some applications of PDE solving in the continuity equation?

PDE solving in the continuity equation has a wide range of applications, including fluid dynamics, meteorology, oceanography, and engineering. It can be used to study the behavior of fluids in pipes, rivers, and oceans, as well as in the design of aircraft and other vehicles.

4. What are some challenges in PDE solving for the continuity equation?

One of the main challenges in PDE solving for the continuity equation is the complexity of the equations involved. They often have multiple variables and require sophisticated mathematical techniques to solve. Additionally, real-world systems may have non-ideal conditions and uncertainties that can make the solution more challenging.

5. What are some methods used to solve PDEs in the continuity equation?

There are several methods used to solve PDEs in the continuity equation, including finite difference methods, finite element methods, and spectral methods. These methods involve approximating the PDE with a set of discrete equations that can be solved numerically or analytically to obtain a solution.