PDE - Boundary value problem found in QM

In summary, this is a quantum mechanics problem that can be reduced to a differential equations problem. The equation to be solved is a partial differential equation with initial and boundary conditions. The initial condition is a sine function and the boundary conditions involve a smooth function. The correct equation includes a space derivative. The first step in solving this problem is to take the partial derivative with respect to time and use the hint given.
kostas230
This is a quantum mechanics problem, but the problem itself is reduced (naturally) to a differential equations problem.

I have to solve the following equation:
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\psi (x,t) = i\sigma \psi (x,t)[/tex]
where [itex]\sigma > 0[/itex]
The initial condition is:
[tex]\psi (x,0) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L_0}}\sin \left(\frac{n\pi x}{L_0}\right)[/tex]
and the boundary conditions are:
[tex]\psi (0,t) = \psi(L(t),t) = 0[/tex]
where [itex]L(t)[/itex] is a smooth function with [itex]L(0)=L_0[/itex].
I don't even know how to begin :rolleyes:. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
kostas230 said:
This is a quantum mechanics problem, but the problem itself is reduced (naturally) to a differential equations problem.

I have to solve the following equation:
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\psi (x,t) = i\sigma \psi (x,t)[/tex]
where [itex]\sigma > 0[/itex]
The initial condition is:
[tex]\psi (x,0) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L_0}}\sin \left(\frac{n\pi x}{L_0}\right)[/tex]
and the boundary conditions are:
[tex]\psi (0,t) = \psi(L(t),t) = 0[/tex]
where [itex]L(t)[/itex] is a smooth function with [itex]L(0)=L_0[/itex].
I don't even know how to begin :rolleyes:. Any ideas?
$$\frac{\partial}{\partial t}[e^{i\sigma t}]=i\sigma e^{i\sigma t}.$$

Oh, wait I forgot to put the space derivative (it was 1-2 AM so my cognitive functions were down to minimum) :shy:

The correct equation is:

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\psi(x,t) = i\sigma \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}\psi(x,t)[/tex]

kostas230 said:
Oh, wait I forgot to put the space derivative (it was 1-2 AM so my cognitive functions were down to minimum) :shy:

The correct equation is:

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\psi(x,t) = i\sigma \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}\psi(x,t)[/tex]
My hint still helps in this case. :-p

What might you think be the first step?

I can understand your frustration with this problem. However, as you mentioned, this is a common type of problem in quantum mechanics known as a boundary value problem (BVP). BVPs involve finding a solution to a differential equation that satisfies certain boundary conditions at the edges of the domain. In this case, the boundary conditions specify that the wave function, represented by \psi(x,t), must equal zero at both x=0 and x=L(t). This is because in quantum mechanics, the wave function represents the probability amplitude of finding a particle at a certain position, and it must go to zero at the boundaries to ensure that the particle cannot exist outside of the specified domain.

To begin solving this problem, you can use standard techniques for solving partial differential equations (PDEs), such as separation of variables or the method of characteristics. These methods involve breaking down the equation into simpler parts and solving them individually, then combining the solutions to get the overall solution. In this case, you can start by separating the time and space variables in the PDE and solving for \psi(x,t) using the given initial condition. Then, you can use the boundary conditions to determine the unknown function L(t) and complete the solution.

It is important to note that BVPs in quantum mechanics are often more complex than standard PDEs due to the presence of complex numbers and the need for the wave function to be normalized (i.e. have a total probability of 1). Therefore, it may be helpful to seek guidance from a professor or textbook that specializes in quantum mechanics or PDEs. With persistence and the right tools, you will be able to successfully solve this problem and gain a deeper understanding of quantum mechanics.

Related to PDE - Boundary value problem found in QM

1. What is a PDE in the context of quantum mechanics?

A PDE (partial differential equation) in quantum mechanics is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of a quantum system. It takes into account the time evolution of the system and its boundary conditions, and is used to predict the probabilities of different outcomes for a given quantum state.

2. What is a boundary value problem in the context of PDEs?

A boundary value problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding a solution to a PDE that satisfies certain conditions at its boundaries. In quantum mechanics, these boundaries may represent the boundaries of a physical system or the boundaries of a region of space in which the quantum system is confined.

3. How are PDEs used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, PDEs are used to describe the behavior of quantum systems and predict their evolution over time. They are also used to calculate the probability of certain outcomes for a given quantum state, which can then be compared to experimental results.

4. What are some common boundary conditions in quantum mechanics PDEs?

Some common boundary conditions in quantum mechanics PDEs include fixed boundary conditions, where the value of the wave function is set to a constant at the boundary, and periodic boundary conditions, where the wave function repeats itself periodically at the boundary. Other types of boundary conditions may be used depending on the specific problem being solved.

5. Why are PDEs important in quantum mechanics?

PDEs are important in quantum mechanics because they provide a mathematical framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of quantum systems. They allow scientists to calculate the probabilities of different outcomes and make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems, which can then be tested through experiments and observations.