PCB Design / Fab / Assembly start up experience?

In summary, the conversation discusses experiences and considerations for PCB design, fabrication, and assembly start up. The challenges involved are also mentioned, including the importance of having someone close by to assist with high speed circuit layouts. The speaker also expresses their preference for doing their own layout rather than trusting others to do it.
backdrill
Has anyone here have any experience on PCB Design / Fab / Assembly start up?
May I know how did it to?
What are the considerations?
What are the challenges involved?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I am doing that same. But I thought you sent in the Gerber to get a quote and compare price! If you refer to having someone layout the pcb, then I have no answer. I do my own layout, I don't trust others doing the layout. For a lot of circuits particular high speed circuits, you better have someone close by to do the layout, so you can work with the person in every step.

I have seen layout that shocked me...absolutely shocked me. People think layout is nothing, it is everything. That's where the war is won or lost.

Related to PCB Design / Fab / Assembly start up experience?

What is the process for designing a PCB?

The process for designing a PCB (printed circuit board) typically involves the following steps:

• 1. Schematic Design: This involves creating a circuit diagram that shows the connections between components.
  • 2. Component Selection: The components needed for the circuit are chosen based on the schematic design.
  • 3. PCB Layout: The actual layout of the board is created using software, including placing components and routing traces between them.
  • 4. Design Verification: The design is checked for errors and optimized for manufacturing.
  • 5. Gerber File Generation: The final design is converted into Gerber files, which are used for PCB fabrication.

What is the difference between PCB fabrication and assembly?

PCB fabrication is the process of manufacturing the physical PCB, which involves etching a copper-clad board, drilling holes, and adding a solder mask and silkscreen. PCB assembly, on the other hand, is the process of populating the PCB with electronic components, such as resistors, capacitors, and integrated circuits. It also includes soldering the components onto the board and testing the assembled circuit.

What are the common challenges in PCB design and assembly?

Some common challenges in PCB design and assembly include ensuring proper component placement and routing for optimal performance, avoiding signal interference and noise, and meeting design requirements within the constraints of cost and size limitations. Other challenges may include sourcing reliable and high-quality components, managing thermal management, and testing and debugging the assembled circuit.

What are some best practices for PCB design and assembly?

Some best practices for PCB design and assembly include designing for manufacturability, using proper ground and power planes, minimizing signal traces, following industry standards and guidelines, and performing thorough testing and verification. It is also important to document the design and assembly processes to ensure consistency and ease of future modifications or repairs.

What are the considerations for choosing a PCB fabrication and assembly service?

When choosing a PCB fabrication and assembly service, some important considerations include the company's capabilities and experience, their quality control processes, their production capabilities and turnaround times, their pricing and payment terms, and their customer service and support. It is also important to check for any certifications or accreditations the company may have, as well as their track record and customer reviews.