PC to TV converter - Video quality is bad

In summary: If you're capturing still images, you'll want to make sure you have a high enough resolution to capture everything with clearly. A USB 3.0 capture device will likely be able to handle higher resolutions than a USB 2.0 capture device.If you're capturing video, you'll likely want to make sure you have a good enough resolution to capture everything with clearly. A USB 3.0 capture device will likely be able to handle higher resolutions than a USB 2.0 capture device.If you're using a PC to TV converter, you'll want to make sure you're using a VGA output. A converter using USB 3.0 might help too.
dacruick
Hi there,

I am using a PC to TV converter fairly unconventionally. I'm connecting a VGA output to a PC to TV converter. This converter outputs a composite video which I then connect to a USB Video Capture Device, which feeds into my computer . The resolution of the image I want to capture is 640 x 480.

The PC to TV converter supports
Resolution (Vertical frequency (Hz):
PC Compatible VGA mode
640 X 480 - 60,70,72, 75,85,100,120
800 X 600 - 56,60,70 ,72,75,85,100
1024 X768 - 60,70,72, 75

and the USB Video Capture Device goes up to 720 x 480.

Basically I am going from VGA to Composite to USB, and the display that I get out is blurry/fuzzy, and definitely not 640 x 480 even though the devices support that.

Does anyone know why this is happening and if I can do anything about it?

Thanks in Advance!

dacruick.

Computer science news on Phys.org
My first step would be isolating each piece to see if anyone of them was causing the majority of quality loss. Hook the VGA to composite up to a regular TV and see what the picture looks like. Then, hook up a DVD player to the USB capture card and see what quality you get with it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into it.

Those multiple conversions are adding plenty of noise, so make sure you're using shielded cables.

It would be better to eliminate the VGA -> Composite, and just go VGA -> USB.

One issue with NTSC standard def composite at 720x480 is its pixel aspect ratio of .9 to 1, versus VGA's 640x480 pixel aspect ratio which is 1 to 1, both with the same 4:3 screen size ratio. A conversion either way results in a lot of dithering of pixels (destination pixels will be a mix of colors from source pixels).

pantaz said:
Those multiple conversions are adding plenty of noise, so make sure you're using shielded cables.

It would be better to eliminate the VGA -> Composite, and just go VGA -> USB.

I totally agree, but the VGA to USB capture devices run me 300 bucks :|

rcgldr said:
One issue with NTSC standard def composite at 720x480 is its pixel aspect ratio of .9 to 1, versus VGA's 640x480 pixel aspect ratio which is 1 to 1, both with the same 4:3 screen size ratio. A conversion either way results in a lot of dithering of pixels (destination pixels will be a mix of colors from source pixels).

is it the colouring that will be the only issue? I see the colour offset, but my major problem is the resolution. What you've said about the discrepancies between pixel aspect ratios makes sense as to the cause of my issues. They just can't translate properly right?

dacruick said:
What you've said about the discrepancies between pixel aspect ratios makes sense as to the cause of my issues. They just can't translate properly right?
Yes, between the two formats, you're rarely on a common pixel boundary. Every 10th pixel boundary at 720 x 0.9 will correspond to a 9th pixel boundary at 640 x 1.0. All the pixels between these boundaries are some mix of a pair of pixels, so they end up fuzzy.

I'm still not clear on exactly what you're doing. Are you using one PC to record the screen display of a second PC? Are you capturing still images or video? What is the required quality of the captured image/video?

I'm using a PC to record a video of a display, a 640x480 VGA output into a PC to TV converter, composite out to a USB capture device, and onto my computer. There is no required quality, I just want the best possible quality.

Most modern video cards have very good TV In/Out capabilities.

Alternatively if that is not an option a TV tuner card will work, but if you can get a decent video card with this built in, it will probably be a lot better (in terms of resolution, and also in performance).

Can't do this if you have a laptop though. (You have to get something like a USB piece of hardware).

Related to PC to TV converter - Video quality is bad

What is a PC to TV converter?

A PC to TV converter is a device that allows you to connect your computer to your TV, so you can display the content from your computer on a larger screen.

Why is the video quality bad when using a PC to TV converter?

The video quality may be bad due to various reasons such as poor connection, incorrect settings, or low-quality converter. It is important to check all these factors before assuming that the converter is the issue.

How can I improve the video quality when using a PC to TV converter?

To improve the video quality, you can try using a higher quality converter, check the connection and make sure all cables are securely connected, and adjust the settings on both your computer and TV to optimize the video output.

Can using a PC to TV converter affect the resolution of the video?

Yes, using a PC to TV converter can affect the resolution of the video. The output resolution will depend on the capabilities of the converter and the TV. It is important to check the specifications of both devices before purchasing a converter to ensure that it can support the desired resolution.

Are there any other factors besides the converter that can affect the video quality?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the video quality, such as the quality of the source video, the type of cable used, and the display settings on your computer. It is important to have good quality source material and ensure that all other factors are optimized for the best video output.