Pauli spin matrices and hbar/2

In summary, the Pauli matrices are multiplied by 1/2 because the angular momentum operators for spin-1/2 must satisfy the commutation relation. This normalization forces the Pauli matrices to be represented as σ1/2, σ2/2, and σ3/2.
lonewolf219
Why are the Pauli matrices multiplied by 1/2 ?? Why are they represented as σ1/2 σ2/2 and σ3/2 and not just σ1 σ2 σ3 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
We want the angular momentum operators to satisfy the commutation relation

##[\hat{J}_i, \hat{J}_j] = i \epsilon_{i j k} \hat{J}_k##

For example, you can verify that the orbital angular momentum operators ##\hat{\vec{x}} \times \hat{\vec{p}}## satisfy this commutation relation. We want the spin angular momentum operators to satisfy the same commutation relation. This forces a certain normalization on the 2x2 matrices we use to represent the angular momentum operators for spin-1/2: the Pauli matrices only satisfy this commutation relation after we multiply them by 1/2. The Pauli matrices themselves satisfy a commutation relation with an extra factor of 2:

##[\sigma_i, \sigma_j] = 2 i \epsilon_{i j k} \sigma_k##.

We remove the extra factor of two by defining the spin angular momentum operators as ##\hat{S}_i = \sigma_i / 2##. Then the ##\hat{S}_i## satisfy the correct commutation relations for angular momentum operators.

Last edited:
Thanks Duck... so then the 1/2 is not related to fermions having spin of 1/2 ?

It's because the Pauli matrices are used for spin 1/2 particles, which have intrinsic spins of either [itex]\frac{\hbar}{2}[/itex] or [itex]\frac{-\hbar}{2}[/itex].

The reason we factor out the [itex]\frac{\hbar}{2}[/itex] is convience. It makes the eigenvalue equation of the [itex]\hat{S} = \frac{\hbar}{2}σ[/itex] operators more clear

[itex]\hat{S}_{n}\left|n\right\rangle = \frac{\hbar}{2}\left|n\right\rangle[/itex]

and it also makes it easier to evaluate rotation operators:

[itex]\hat{R}(\phi\hat{n}) = e^{i\hat{S}_{n}\phi/\hbar}[/itex]

which need to be taylor expanded to give meaning, and will involve powers of the [itex]\hat{S}[/itex] operator.

Wotanub, thank you... if you don't mind, maybe you could explain what the bracket notation means? I would GREATLY appreciate it! All I can see from it is that S is an operator, and maybe n is the principal quantum number? What exactly does | signify... "over"?

lonewolf219 said:
Wotanub, thank you... if you don't mind, maybe you could explain what the bracket notation means? I would GREATLY appreciate it! All I can see from it is that S is an operator, and maybe n is the principal quantum number? What exactly does | signify... "over"?

Google for "bra-ket notation".

lonewolf219 said:

Sure. I highly recommend Townsend's "A Modern Approach to Quantum Mechanics" If you want to really get a hold of spin and bra-ket notation. It's the first chapter and he presents it in a very intuitive way.

[itex]\left|ψ\right\rangle[/itex] (called a "ket") is an expression for a state of a system. When talking only about the intrinsic spin degree of freedom, we express the state as as [itex]\left|±n\right\rangle[/itex] (maybe I should have used a ± in my last post) where [itex]n[/itex] is the axis we are measuring the spin along (ie, x, y, z or anything in between).

So for example a spin 1/2 particle that is "spin up" along the z-axis could be denoted [itex]\left|+z\right\rangle[/itex] and the eigenvalue equation of it with the [itex]S_{z}[/itex] operator would be (I dropped the hats because I don't like the way the look):

[itex]S_{z}\left|+z\right\rangle = \frac{\hbar}{2}\left|+z\right\rangle[/itex]

and similarly for a "spin down",

[itex]S_{z}\left|-z\right\rangle = \frac{-\hbar}{2}\left|-z\right\rangle[/itex]

since [itex]\left|+z\right\rangle[/itex] and [itex]\left|-z\right\rangle[/itex] are eigenstates of the [itex]S_{z}[/itex] operator.

:biggrin: Aaaah... a light at the end of the tunnel! Thank you very much!

Related to Pauli spin matrices and hbar/2

1. What are Pauli spin matrices?

Pauli spin matrices are a set of 2x2 matrices used in quantum mechanics to describe the spin of a particle. They were developed by physicist Wolfgang Pauli and are denoted by the Greek letter sigma (σ).

2. What is the significance of hbar/2 in relation to Pauli spin matrices?

hbar/2 (ℏ/2) is known as the reduced Planck constant and is a fundamental constant in quantum mechanics. It represents the smallest possible amount of angular momentum that a particle can have, and is used in the mathematical formulation of Pauli spin matrices.

3. How are Pauli spin matrices used in quantum mechanics?

Pauli spin matrices are used to represent the spin state of a particle in quantum mechanics. They can be used to calculate the possible spin values of a particle, as well as to describe the behavior of particles in quantum systems.

4. Can Pauli spin matrices be applied to all types of particles?

Yes, Pauli spin matrices can be applied to all types of particles, including fermions (particles with half-integer spin) and bosons (particles with integer spin).

5. Are there any real-world applications of Pauli spin matrices and hbar/2?

Yes, Pauli spin matrices and hbar/2 have many real-world applications in fields such as quantum computing, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and nuclear physics. They also play a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of subatomic particles.