Path Integral in QM: Resolving Confusion on Causality

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the path formulation of quantum mechanics and the confusion regarding the inclusion of faster-than-light paths in the path integral for relativistic physics. The initial interval between two points can be split into n intermediate steps, but they do not necessarily need to be close to each other, raising questions about the violation of relativity and causality. However, it is noted that the original path integral was for nonrelativistic physics, while the path integral for relativistic physics includes faster-than-light paths. A paper discussing this concept is referenced.
Silviu
Hello! I am reading a derivation of the path formulation of QM and I am a bit confused. They first find a formula for the propagation between 2 points for an infinitesimal time ##\epsilon##. Then, they take a time interval T (not infinitesimal) and define ##\epsilon=\frac{T}{n}##. Then they sum up the propagations for each of these ##\epsilon##'s, take the limit ##n \to \infty## in order to find a formula for the propagation between any 2 points in a finite time T. Now I am a bit confused. When you split the initial interval (let's say between ##x_i## and ##x_f##) those n intermediate steps don't need to be close to each other (at least this is not implied in the derivation, and from what I understand, any path in the universe can be valid in the summation). So if the space can be arbitrary large but the time is infinitesimally small, isn't relativity violated? And even for the case of finite space and time (so in our case from ##x_i## to ##x_f## traveled in time T), I see nothing to force the time interval to be such that ##x_f - x_i < cT##. So how is causality preserved in this case? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the original path integral was for nonrelativistic physics, and it allowed arbitrary paths. The path integral for relativistic physics is harder to construct, but it turns out that it does include contributions for paths corresponding to faster-than-light motion: https://arxiv.org/pdf/gr-qc/9210019.pdf

Related to Path Integral in QM: Resolving Confusion on Causality

1. What is the path integral in quantum mechanics?

The path integral in quantum mechanics is a mathematical framework that allows for the calculation of probabilities of different outcomes in quantum systems. It takes into account the possible paths a system can take from one state to another, and sums up all these paths to determine the most probable outcome.

2. How does the path integral resolve confusion on causality in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the concept of causality is often challenged due to the probabilistic nature of the theory. The path integral approach takes into account all possible paths and considers them equally, rather than determining a single cause and effect relationship. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the behavior of quantum systems.

3. Is the path integral approach the only way to understand causality in quantum mechanics?

No, there are other interpretations and approaches to understanding causality in quantum mechanics, such as the Copenhagen interpretation and the many-worlds interpretation. The path integral approach is just one way of resolving confusion on causality and is not the only accepted interpretation.

4. Are there any limitations to using the path integral in quantum mechanics?

Like any mathematical framework, the path integral approach has its limitations. It may not be applicable in certain complex systems, and its calculations can become increasingly difficult as the number of particles involved in the system increases. Additionally, the path integral approach does not provide a complete understanding of the underlying physical processes in quantum systems.

5. How is the path integral used in practical applications?

The path integral is used in various practical applications, such as in the calculation of quantum scattering amplitudes, the prediction of particle behavior in particle accelerators, and in the study of quantum field theory. It also plays a crucial role in the development of quantum computing and the understanding of quantum phenomena in condensed matter physics.