Path integral formulation of wave-optics

In summary, a path integral approach suggests that ray optics may be the limit of wave optics. This would mean that all conceivable ray paths between any two fixed points are possible, with an uncertainty in the ray path taken by light/sound. For a photon, prob. amplitude to go from one point to the other is given by the sum over all possible paths exp(iota ES/h).
gptejms
A few years back,I stumbled upon a nice idea which I am reporting below:-

Just as classical mechanics is the [tex] h \rightarrow 0 [/tex] limit of quantum mechanics(rather action >> [tex]\hbar[/tex],from path integral formulation),so should it be possible to argue from a path integral approach, that ray optics is the [tex] \lambda\rightarrow 0[/tex] limit of wave optics.What would such a path integral be?Here we go:-

The optical action may be written as
[tex]
S=\int \frac{ds}{v(x,y,z)}=\int dt,[/tex]
where the symbols are self-explanatory.So the prob. amplitude for light/sound(or photon/..) to go from point A to point B may be written as
[tex]
\begin{equation}
P=\sum_{all paths}\exp{\iota S/T_0},
\end{equation}
[/tex]
where [tex]T_0[/tex] is the time period.

As long as [tex] S=\int dt [/tex] is not very large compared to [tex] T_0 [/tex],all conceivable ray paths between any two fixed points are possible,so that there is an uncertainty in the ray path taken by light/sound in going from one point to the other.

Specially interesting is the case of a photon.For a photon
[tex]
\begin{equation}
\frac{1}{T_0}=\nu=\frac{E}{h}.
\end{equation}
[/tex]
Hence for a photon,prob. amplitude to go from one point to the other is given as
[tex]
\begin{equation}
P=\sum_{all paths}\exp{\iota ES/h},
\end{equation}
[/tex]
i.e.
[tex]
\begin{equation}
P=\sum_{all paths}\exp{\frac{\iota E\int dt}{h}}
\end{equation}
[/tex]

P.S. I am not able to see the latex graphics that I've generated in my browser--hope others are able to view it!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i think it should be correct..but the action would come from the Eikonal equation:

[tex] (\nabla{S})^{2}=n^{2} [/tex] where n is the refraction index as a function of x,y,z,t...then the path integral for optics would be:

[tex] \int{D[r,t]e^{iS(r,t)/\hbar} [/tex]

The beauty about the form that I suggest is that for a photon using E=h\nu,we arrive naturally at the particle action(starting with the optical lagrangian/action).
My quick impression is that your S(phase I believe) is nothing but my S(modulo T_0)/T_0*2\pi---don't know where you get the \hbar from.

Last edited:
Eikonal equation should follow easily from my optical action S .[tex] \delta S=0[/tex] i.e. Fermat's principle should easily lead to the eikonal equation.
The nice thing would be to show that the wave equation follows from this sum over paths approach.

Related to Path integral formulation of wave-optics

1. What is the path integral formulation of wave-optics?

The path integral formulation of wave-optics is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of light as it travels through different media. In this formulation, the propagation of light is represented as a sum over all possible paths that the light could take.

2. How is the path integral formulation different from other formulations of wave-optics?

Unlike other formulations of wave-optics, which typically use the concept of a wavefront or a ray of light, the path integral formulation takes into account the wave-like nature of light and considers all possible paths that the light could take.

3. What is the significance of the path integral formulation in studying light propagation?

The path integral formulation allows for a more comprehensive and accurate understanding of light propagation, as it takes into account the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics. It also allows for the calculation of complex phenomena such as diffraction and interference.

4. How is the path integral formulation applied in practical experiments?

The path integral formulation is used to calculate the probability of a light wave arriving at a certain point after passing through various media. This is useful in experiments involving diffraction, interference, and other optical phenomena.

5. Can the path integral formulation be applied to other fields besides optics?

Yes, the path integral formulation has been successfully applied in various fields of physics, including quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and statistical mechanics. It is a powerful mathematical tool that allows for the calculation of complex phenomena in different systems.