Path integral formula for vacuum to vacuum amplitude

In summary, the conversation discusses the path integral chapter of Schwartz's "Quantum Field theory and the Standard model". The discussion focuses on the computation of the vacuum to vacuum amplitude and the factors involved in the process. There is confusion about the factors ## \langle 0|e^{-i\delta t\hat H (t_n)}|\Phi_n\rangle ## and ## \langle \Phi_1|e^{-i\delta t\hat H (t_0)}|0\rangle ##, but it is clarified that these factors can be ignored because the vacuum state is an eigenstate of both ## \hat \Phi ## and ## \hat{\mathcal H} ##.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
I'm reading the path integral chapter of Schwartz's "Quantum Field theory and the Standard model". Something seems wrong!
He starts by putting complete sets of states(field eigenstates) in between the vacuum to vacuum amplitude:

## \displaystyle \langle 0;t_f|0;t_i \rangle=\int D\Phi_1(x)\dots D\Phi_n(x) \langle 0|e^{-i\delta t\hat H (t_n)}|\Phi_n\rangle \langle \Phi_n| \dots |\Phi_1\rangle \langle \Phi_1|e^{-i\delta t\hat H (t_0)}|0\rangle \ \ \ \ \ \ (*) ##

Then he computes ## \langle \Phi_{j+1}|e^{-i\delta t\hat H(t_j)}|\Phi_j\rangle ## and says that all these pieces multiply to give:

## \displaystyle \langle 0;t_f|0;t_i\rangle\propto \int D \Phi(\vec x,t) e^{iS[\Phi]}##

My problem is, not all of the factors in (*) are of the form## \langle \Phi_{j+1}|e^{-i\delta t\hat H(t_j)}|\Phi_j\rangle ##. We also have ## \langle 0|e^{-i\delta t\hat H (t_n)}|\Phi_n\rangle ## and ## \langle \Phi_1|e^{-i\delta t\hat H (t_0)}|0\rangle ##. But it seems Schwartz just ignores these two factors!
What's going on here?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I now understand it. ## |0\rangle ## is an eigenstate of both ## \hat \Phi ## and ## \hat{\mathcal H} ##, i.e. ## \hat \Phi|0\rangle=0 ## and ## \hat{\mathcal H}|0\rangle=E_0|0\rangle ## and this is true because the vacuum state is the same as the state with no excitation.

Related to Path integral formula for vacuum to vacuum amplitude

1. What is the path integral formula for vacuum to vacuum amplitude?

The path integral formula for vacuum to vacuum amplitude is a mathematical expression used in quantum field theory to calculate the probability of a particle transitioning from one state to another in a vacuum. It takes into account all possible paths that the particle could take in a given amount of time, and sums them to calculate the final amplitude.

2. How is the path integral formula derived?

The path integral formula is derived from the principles of quantum mechanics and the concept of superposition. It can be derived using the Feynman path integral, which is a mathematical tool that integrates over all possible paths of a particle.

3. What is the significance of the path integral formula in quantum field theory?

The path integral formula is significant in quantum field theory because it allows us to calculate the probability amplitudes of particle interactions in a vacuum. This is important for understanding the behavior of subatomic particles and how they interact with each other.

4. Can the path integral formula be applied to other systems besides the vacuum?

Yes, the path integral formula can be applied to other systems besides the vacuum. It can be used to calculate the amplitudes for particle interactions in any physical system, such as in the presence of electric or magnetic fields.

5. Are there any limitations to the path integral formula?

While the path integral formula is a powerful tool in quantum field theory, it does have some limitations. It is difficult to apply in situations with many interacting particles, and it becomes increasingly complex as the number of particles increases. Additionally, it does not account for the effects of gravity and therefore cannot be used to describe interactions involving extremely massive particles.