Password error when associating with Google

• Bug
  • Thread starter Petr Matas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    google
In summary, the conversation is about a user trying to associate their PF account with their Google account but encountering an error with their password. They discuss testing the connection on the backend and logging out of Google to solve the issue. There is also mention of a previous attempt to log in with an unassociated Google account and resetting the PF password.
Petr Matas
I am trying to associate my PF account with my Google account. At .../connected-accounts/google/ I am entering the same password I use to login to PF (verified by logging out), but I am getting the following error:

Oops! We ran into some problems.​
Your existing password is not correct.​

Can we fix it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Petr,

I tested the connection with a tool on our backend and it passed. Are you sure you're using the correct Google password when it asks?

Likes jedishrfu
Hello Greg,

I was not even asked for the Google password (nor my confirmation), because I was already logged in. Logging out from Google solved the problem. Maybe something went wrong two weeks ago when I tried to log in using an unassociated Google account and reset my PF password just after that.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. Why am I getting a "password error" when trying to associate with Google?

There could be several reasons for this error. One possibility is that you have entered the wrong password for your Google account. Another possibility is that your account has been compromised and the password has been changed without your knowledge. It is also possible that there is an issue with the website or app you are trying to associate with Google.

2. How can I fix the "password error" when trying to associate with Google?

If you have entered the wrong password, you can try resetting your password through Google's account recovery process. If your account has been compromised, you should immediately change your password and enable two-factor authentication for added security. If the issue is with the website or app, you can try clearing your browser's cache and cookies, or contacting the website or app's support team for assistance.

3. Can I associate my Google account with multiple websites or apps?

Yes, you can use your Google account to sign in to multiple websites and apps. However, each website or app will have its own separate association process, so you will need to follow the instructions specific to that website or app.

4. Why is it important to associate my Google account with websites and apps?

Associating your Google account with websites and apps allows for a more seamless and convenient sign-in process. It also allows you to access and manage your account information and settings across multiple platforms.

5. Can I disassociate my Google account from a website or app?

Yes, you can disassociate your Google account from a website or app by going to your Google account settings and revoking access for that specific website or app. This will remove the association and you will no longer be able to sign in to that website or app using your Google account.