Partition Theorem Homework: Solving for the Partition Function and Energy States

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the partition function and the use of the formula ##z = \Sigma_{j=1}^\infty g_j e^{\frac{-(E_j - E_1)}{KT}}## to solve for the value of 2. However, the attempt at a solution results in an incorrect value due to the inclusion of additional terms. The question is raised about the values of ##E_j## and ##E_1##, with the clarification that ##E_1## is equal to 13.6.
Calpalned

Homework Statement

Screenshot (64).png

Homework Equations

Partition function = ##\frac{z_{i+1}}{z_i} ##
##z = \Sigma_{j=1}^\infty g_j e^{\frac{-(E_j - E_i)}{KT}}##
##g_j = 2(j^2)##

The Attempt at a Solution

I should get 2, but I keep getting ##2 + 8e^7.8 + ... ##
I used ##K = 1.38 \times 10^-23## and I converted electron volts to J (1eV = ##1.602 \times10^-19##J)

Physics news on Phys.org
Calpalned said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 90647

Homework Equations

Partition function = ##\frac{z_{i+1}}{z_i} ##
##z = \Sigma_{j=1}^\infty g_j e^{\frac{-(E_j - E_1)}{KT}}##
##g_j = 2(j^2)##

The Attempt at a Solution

I should get 2, but I keep getting ##2 + 8e^7.8 + ... ##
I used ##K = 1.38 \times 10^-23## and I converted electron volts to J (1eV = ##1.602 \times10^-19##J)
Actually what is ##E_j## and ##E_1##? Isn't E_1 = 13.6?

Related to Partition Theorem Homework: Solving for the Partition Function and Energy States

1. What is the Partition Theorem and why is it important in solving for the Partition Function and Energy States?

The Partition Theorem is a fundamental concept in statistical mechanics that relates the partition function, which is the sum of all possible microstates of a system, to the thermodynamic properties of a system such as energy and entropy. It is important because it allows for the calculation of these properties and provides a bridge between the microscopic and macroscopic scales.

2. How is the Partition Theorem applied in solving for the Partition Function?

The Partition Theorem is applied by considering the energy levels of a system and the probability of each energy level being occupied at a given temperature. The partition function is then calculated by summing over all possible energy states, each multiplied by its corresponding Boltzmann factor. This gives the total number of ways that the system can distribute its energy among its energy levels.

3. What is the significance of the Partition Function in statistical mechanics?

The Partition Function is significant because it allows for the calculation of various thermodynamic properties such as internal energy, entropy, and free energy. These properties provide important insights into the behavior of a system and can help predict how a system will respond to changes in temperature, volume, and other variables.

4. How is the Partition Theorem used to determine the Energy States of a system?

The Partition Theorem can be used to determine the energy states of a system by finding the values of energy for which the partition function is maximum. This is because at maximum partition function, the system is in thermal equilibrium and the probabilities of occupying each energy state are at their most likely values.

5. Can the Partition Theorem be applied to all types of systems?

Yes, the Partition Theorem can be applied to all types of systems, including classical and quantum mechanical systems. However, the exact method of calculation may differ depending on the specific system and its energy levels. Additionally, the Partition Theorem can also be extended to more complex systems with multiple particles or degrees of freedom.