Partition function of harmonic oscillator with additional force

In summary, the partition function for the harmonic oscillator with an additional force can be expressed as \frac{e^{\beta \frac{F^2 x_{0}^2}{\hbar \omega}}}{1-e^{\beta \hbar \omega}}, and the calculation for \left<x\right> results in x_0 \left<a + a^{\dagger}\right>. The Hamiltonian can be rewritten and solved by completing the square and changing variables to eliminate the offset in x.
brother toe

Homework Statement

Show that the partition function for the harmonic oscillator with an additional force [itex] H = \hbar \omega a^{\dagger} a - F x_0 (a + a^{\dagger})[/itex] is given by [itex] \frac{e^{\beta \frac{F^2 x_{0}^2}{\hbar \omega}}}{1-e^{\beta \hbar \omega}} [/itex] and calculate [itex] \left<x\right> = x_0 \left<a + a^{\dagger}\right> [/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The partition function is given by [itex] \sum_{i} e^{-\beta E_i} [/itex] but I am struggling to find the eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian. In pertubation theory the additional terms would not contribute, so the partition function would be the same as the normal harmonic oscillator, but since F is not given as particularly small we cannot use pertubation. I rewrote the Hamiltonian in terms of x and p operators, but I could not solve the resulting differential equation.

I would very much appreciate any help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your Hamiltonian is
$$H = \frac{p^2}{2m} + \frac 12 m\omega^2 x^2 - Fx.$$ Complete the square and then change variables to get rid of the offset in ##x##.

Related to Partition function of harmonic oscillator with additional force

1. What is the partition function of a harmonic oscillator with an additional force?

The partition function of a harmonic oscillator with an additional force is a mathematical expression used in statistical mechanics to calculate the probability of a system being in a particular energy state. It takes into account the energy levels of the oscillator as well as the external force acting on it.

2. How is the additional force incorporated into the partition function?

The additional force is incorporated into the partition function through the use of the Hamiltonian, which is a mathematical operator that describes the energy of a system. The additional force term is added to the Hamiltonian to account for the external force acting on the oscillator.

3. What is the significance of the partition function in statistical mechanics?

The partition function is a fundamental concept in statistical mechanics as it allows us to calculate the thermodynamic properties of a system, such as the internal energy, entropy, and free energy. It is a powerful tool for understanding the behavior of physical systems in equilibrium.

4. How does the partition function of a harmonic oscillator with an additional force differ from that of a simple harmonic oscillator?

The partition function of a harmonic oscillator with an additional force is more complex than that of a simple harmonic oscillator, as it takes into account the effects of the external force. This results in a different mathematical expression and can lead to different thermodynamic properties for the system.

5. Can the partition function of a harmonic oscillator with an additional force be applied to real-world systems?

Yes, the partition function of a harmonic oscillator with an additional force can be applied to real-world systems, such as atoms in a solid or molecules in a gas. It is a fundamental concept in statistical mechanics and is widely used in the study of physical systems and their thermodynamic properties.