Partition function of classical oscillator with small anharmonic factor

In summary, the problem involves calculating the partition function for an array of N oscillators with a unidimensional structure and an anharmonic factor. The solution involves using integrals and small a approximations to find the partition function, energy, and heat capacity.
castlemaster

Homework Statement

Having a unidemsional array of N oscillators with same frequency w and with an anharmonic factor [tex]ax^4[/tex] where 0 < a << 1

Calculate, up to the first order of a, the partition function.

Homework Equations

For one oscillator

[tex]Z=\frac{1}{h}\int{e^{-\beta(p^2/2m+1/2mw^2x^2+ax^4)}dpdx}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried to

[tex]Z=\frac{K'}{h}\int{e^{\frac{-\beta*mw^2x^2}{2}(1+\frac{2a}{mw^2}x^2))}dpdx}[/tex]

and I guess I can approximate [tex](1+bx^2)[/tex] to something ... but I know more or less the solution and I can't figure out how to reach it.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]
Z=\frac{1}{h}\int{e^{-\beta(p^2/2m+1/2mw^2x^2+ax^4)}dpdx}
[/tex]
[tex]
=\frac{1}{h}\int{e^{-\beta(p^2/2m+1/2mw^2x^2)}e^{-\beta ax^4}dpdx}
[/tex]
[tex]
=\frac{1}{h}\int{e^{-\beta(p^2/2m+1/2mw^2x^2)} (1 -\beta ax^4 + \cdots) }dpdx}
[/tex]

you should probably know how to calculate the last.
but here are some useful integrals

[tex] \int e^{-ax^2} = \sqrt{\pi/a} [/tex]
[tex] \int x^2 e^{-ax^2} = \frac{1}{2} \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a^3}} [/tex]
[tex] \int x^4 e^{-ax^2} = \frac{3}{4} \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a^5}} [/tex]

good luck.

That's what I thought but part b of the problem say:

show that [tex]C_{v}=Nk(1-\frac{6*\alfa*k}{m^2w^4}T)[/tex]

but
[tex]E=-\frac{d lnZ}{d\beta}[/tex]
and
[tex]C_{v}=\frac{d E}{dT}[/tex]

if I do all the integrals I get something like

[tex]ln Z=Nln(K_{1}\beta^{n})[/tex]

and for the properties of the ln

[tex]ln Z=Nln(K_{1}) +Nnln(\beta)[/tex]

and making the derivate over B will never give the Cv mentioned.

What I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for the answer

if I do

[tex]u=\frac{\beta mw^2x^2}{2}[/tex]

then I get something like

[tex]\frac{1}{\beta mw^2}\int{e^{-u}e^{-\frac{4\alpha u^2}{\beta m^2w^4}}}[/tex]

I think it approches what I need to end with, at least the variables are similar,

someone has a clue? maybe using the fact that the derivate of exp(ax^n) is nax^(n-1)exp(ax^n)

I'll appreciate any clue

thanks

i already told you how to do this.

step 1. do the math.
you end up with [itex] z = c_1 \beta^{-1} - a c_2 \beta^{-2} [/itex]
for constants c1, and c2.

step 2. still do the math.
find [itex] E = - \frac{d \log z}{d\beta} [/itex], this will still have an a in
the denominator, drop it (using small a approximation)

step 3. do even more math.
find [itex] C_v = \frac{dE}{dT} [/itex]

step 4. ?

step 5. profit.

You are right qbert,
I was just doing a stupid mistake everytime.

ln(a*b) = lna+lnb RIGHT
ln(a+b) = lna+lnb STUPID
ln(1+ax) aprox.= ax for a small

thanks for the patience

Related to Partition function of classical oscillator with small anharmonic factor

1. What is the partition function of a classical oscillator with a small anharmonic factor?

The partition function of a classical oscillator with a small anharmonic factor is a mathematical expression that describes the statistical mechanics of the system. It is used to calculate the thermodynamic properties of the oscillator, such as its energy and entropy.

2. How is the partition function of a classical oscillator with a small anharmonic factor different from a simple harmonic oscillator?

The partition function for a simple harmonic oscillator only takes into account the energy levels defined by the harmonic potential. However, for a classical oscillator with a small anharmonic factor, the partition function also considers higher order terms in the potential energy function, which accounts for the anharmonicity of the oscillator.

3. How does the anharmonic factor affect the partition function of a classical oscillator?

The anharmonic factor affects the partition function by introducing higher order terms in the energy levels of the oscillator. This leads to a more complex expression for the partition function, as compared to a simple harmonic oscillator, and can result in different thermodynamic properties.

4. Can the partition function of a classical oscillator with a small anharmonic factor be calculated analytically?

In most cases, the partition function for a classical oscillator with a small anharmonic factor cannot be calculated analytically. This is because the higher order terms in the potential energy function make the mathematical expression too complex to solve using traditional methods. However, numerical techniques can be used to approximate the partition function.

5. How does the partition function of a classical oscillator with a small anharmonic factor relate to the system's equilibrium state?

The partition function is directly related to the equilibrium state of the system. It is used to calculate the probability of a given energy state of the oscillator, which in turn determines the equilibrium distribution of the system. A higher partition function corresponds to a higher probability of a particular energy state, and therefore a higher likelihood of the system being in that state at equilibrium.