Partition Function of a Single Magnetic Particle

In summary, the magnetic moment of a particle with an angular momentum quantum number, j, can be found using the following equation: Z = sinh[βδB(j+1/2)] / sinh[(βδB)/2].
M@B

Homework Statement

For a magnetic particle with an angular momentum "quantum number", j, the allowed values of the z component of a particles magnetic moment are:

µ = -jδ, (-j + 1)δ, ..., (j-1)δ, jδ

δ is a constant, and j is a multiple of 1/2

Show that the partition function of a single magnetic particle is

Z = sinh[βδB(j+1/2)] / sinh[(βδB)/2]

Homework Equations

in general, Z = Σ exp(β·E(s))

and for a magnetic particle: E(s) = -µB

1 + x + x2 + ... +xn = 1 - xn+1 / 1 - x

The Attempt at a Solution

If i did things correctly, I can get to an equation:

Z = [1 - exp(-βδB(j+1/2))] / [1 - exp(-βδB/2)]

I got this just by x = exp(-βδB/2) and noticing that the n in the finite sum is 2j. (if you add j to all µ to get a sequence from 0 to 2j instead of -j to j). Then I plugged into the mathematical identity I have above. The problem is converting this into the sinh term that the question asks for. Unless of course, it is completely wrong, in which case I'm rather lost on the subject.

Thanks for teh help in advance,
M@

Physics news on Phys.org
I see two problems. First, if you have a sum of powers from -j to +j, e.g.
[tex]x^{-j} + x^{-j+1} + ... + x^j[/tex]
when you add j to each index, you're really multiplying each term by [tex]x^j[/tex]. In order to shift the indices, you need to divide the thing by [tex]x^j[/tex]. Second, for some reason you have a negative sign in your exponentials rather than a positive sign.

Thank you very much for your insight. I had completely overlooked the fact that adding j to the index was actually a multiplication. I've managed to make it work out properly by taking that into consideration.

Thanks again,
M@

Related to Partition Function of a Single Magnetic Particle

1. What is the Partition Function of a Single Magnetic Particle?

The Partition Function of a Single Magnetic Particle is a mathematical concept used in statistical mechanics to describe the equilibrium state of a single magnetic particle. It takes into account the possible energy states of the particle and their respective probabilities to determine the overall magnetic behavior of the particle.

2. How is the Partition Function of a Single Magnetic Particle calculated?

The Partition Function of a Single Magnetic Particle is calculated by summing the Boltzmann factors for all possible energy states of the particle. The Boltzmann factor is calculated by taking the negative of the energy of a given state divided by the product of the Boltzmann constant and the temperature.

3. What factors affect the value of the Partition Function of a Single Magnetic Particle?

The value of the Partition Function of a Single Magnetic Particle is affected by the magnetic moment of the particle, the strength of the magnetic field, and the temperature. As the magnetic moment increases, the value of the partition function also increases. A stronger magnetic field also leads to a higher partition function, while a higher temperature will decrease the partition function.

4. What is the significance of the Partition Function of a Single Magnetic Particle?

The Partition Function of a Single Magnetic Particle is important in understanding the macroscopic magnetic properties of a material. It allows scientists to predict the behavior of individual magnetic particles and how they contribute to the overall magnetism of a material.

5. How is the Partition Function of a Single Magnetic Particle used in practical applications?

The Partition Function of a Single Magnetic Particle is used in various fields such as materials science, physics, and engineering. It helps in the design and development of new magnetic materials and devices, such as memory storage devices and magnetic sensors. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of magnetic materials in different environments and conditions.