Partition Function Homework: Find En at 290K

• Thread starter lmanri
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Partition
In summary, the task is to find the value of the partition function for a system at 290 K, where the energy of the nth state is En=n(.01 eV). This can be done using the equation Z=∑e^-βE_n, where β=1/κT and 1+a+a^2+a^3...=1/(1-a) for a<1. However, the units for energy and the Boltzmann constant must be compatible, so one of them must be converted to match the other.
lmanri

Homework Statement

Consider a system at 290 K for which the energy of the nth state is En=n(.01 eV). Using 1+a+a2+a3...=1/(1-a) for a <1 where necessary, Find the value of the partition function.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Z=∑e-βE[itex]_{}n[/itex]

β=1/κT

I don't know what the energy of the state would be so I can't figure out the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean you don't know what the energy of the state is? You wrote it already: E(n) = (0.01 eV)*n. It is linear in n.

So, I would then have
Z=(sum)e^(-(1/((1.38*10^-23)(290)))(n(0.01))

No. You have incompatible units.

Likes 1 person
I don't understand it.

tman means, your units of energy is in eV, but your Boltzmann constant is using units of J/K. You should convert one or the other to have the same units.

Likes 1 person
Oh ok, which is 8.625*10^-5 eV/K

Related to Partition Function Homework: Find En at 290K

What is a partition function?

A partition function is a mathematical function that is used to calculate the thermodynamic properties of a system. It is a sum of all possible configurations of a system and is used to determine the probability of a particular state occurring.

Why is the partition function important?

The partition function is important because it gives us information about the energy levels and states of a system. It is used in statistical mechanics to calculate various thermodynamic properties such as energy, entropy, and free energy.

How is the partition function calculated?

The partition function is calculated by summing the Boltzmann factors for each possible state of a system. The Boltzmann factor is calculated by taking the exponential of the negative energy of a state divided by the product of the Boltzmann constant and the temperature.

What is En?

En is the energy of a specific state in a system. It is one of the values that is summed in the partition function calculation. The value of En depends on the energy levels of the system and the specific state being considered.

How do I find En at a specific temperature?

To find En at a specific temperature, you can use the partition function equation and solve for En by plugging in the temperature and other known values. Alternatively, you can also use a table or graph of energy levels to find the value of En at a specific temperature.