Persuasive speech on stem cell research

In summary, the main argument against stem cell research is that it is immoral because it involves taking cells from embryos. However, Ayn Rand believes that it is moral to live life by one's own morals, rather than following the morals of others.
Dissident Dan said:
That's not what I'm saying. I was saying that I think there is no precise instant in time at which a non-living object becomes a living one. The object grows from something less resemblent of what we consider to be life to something that is completely resemblent of what we consider to be life. In reality, it's all just chemical reactions. As humans, we love to classify things, especially when classifying makes us feel special, so we classify things as living or not living, depending on how well the system being observed matches our mental model of "life".

Now that's interesting, you think that something is alive or dead only because of the subjuntive experience you have of awareness and perception, of whatever you are observing. Of course you correlate this to a objective physical process. So then nothing is dead or alive or we just think it is. Or maybe its because we can not percieve, other states of conscious awarness. In that case, everything would just be alive, and we do not know it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm just saying that the idea of life is just a classification of interactions, and sometimes this classification seems to break down.

I agree with:
Dissident Dan said:
This makes it sound as if it's a done deal that these diseases are or will be cured. As far as I know, there is no cure for any of these (although some have preventative measures associated with them). You might be more cautious in your wording.

I would also like to recommend that you drop the "World Peace" bit.

I think focusing energy on when life/consciousness starts is not only a waste of time, but could seriously injure your debate.
First of all, no one will ever truly know when an egg becomes a person, because, partly, it is a matter of personal opinion.
Also, people already have deeply engrained notions of when "life" starts and a short debate will do nothing to sway that.
Third, the subject is far too steep into religious Dogma for the majority of people to have an open mind to the subject.

I think, if you want to win this, you should change your focus away from the dead horse of when life begins.

Pointing out that it happens in a dish, rather than a womb is smart and important, but I don't think there is much of a benefit (and, like I said, you run the rsik of it being a detriment) in taking that any further unless you are deflating your opponent's argument.

Focus on the potential benefits and simply point out that those who claim it is immoral offer vague ambiguous reasoning at best to support their claims.
Basically put a pin-prick in the moral argument right off the bat and let it deflate itself, unless it doesn't, then you can step on it in rebuttal.

That's what I would do, anyway.
It would bring your speech to within time limits.

one_raven said:
I would also like to recommend that you drop the "World Peace" bit.
I said it would DECREASE suffering, it would make the world a little bit more peaceful.

I think focusing energy on when life/consciousness starts is not only a waste of time, but could seriously injure your debate.
I shouldn't ignore an important opposing argument just because it will challenge me greatly. In fact, if my arguments are flawed, I should know about it.

First of all, no one will ever truly know when an egg becomes a person, because, partly, it is a matter of personal opinion.
Opinion can at times be proved wrong. I could say that it is my opinion that E does not equal mc2, but as you know that is not true. E does =mc2 . Even then, we should see if it is possible to dictate the validity of this matter (that you mentioned in the quote above) as being classified an opinion or a differing hypothesis.

Also, people already have deeply engrained notions of when "life" starts and a short debate will do nothing to sway that.
A short debate will at least help those involved get a more educated opinion about the subject. That is the purpose.

Third, the subject is far too steep into religious Dogma for the majority of people to have an open mind to the subject.
As you may know, it was once belived that the Earth was the center of the universe. This was promoted, and made into fact based on the religious community's belief that the bible says so. They came to this conclusion because of the scripture which states that the sun stood still in the sky. To them, this indicated the Earth was the center. This was a religiously motivated idea. It was later proven wrong of course. "Religious Dogma" as you call it should not deter scientific exploration.

I think, if you want to win this, you should change your focus away from the dead horse of when life begins.
You mean, I should change my focus away from the most prominent opposing argument?? This is a persuasive speech. I should be able to convince people that their opposing argument about how stem cell research promotes murder of unborn children is wrong. That is the sole point of my essay, and I'm sure the sole point of the essay should be addressed.

Pointing out that it happens in a dish, rather than a womb is smart and important, but I don't think there is much of a benefit (and, like I said, you run the rsik of it being a detriment) in taking that any further unless you are deflating your opponent's argument.
Shouldn't I delfate my opponent's argument?

Focus on the potential benefits and simply point out that those who claim it is immoral offer vague ambiguous reasoning at best to support their claims.
Basically put a pin-prick in the moral argument right off the bat and let it deflate itself, unless it doesn't, then you can step on it in rebuttal.
Okay, I'll do that. Thanks.

That's what I would do, anyway.
It would bring your speech to within time limits.

I was thinking of taking out all the definitions I have (of zygotes and stem cells) and making a chart of the definitons and other background data my audience need to know to understand what it is I am talking about. Of course I will emphasize the definitons necessary for my argument.

cookiemonster said:
If we anaesthetize someone, they stop feeling pain. If we then kill them, according to Square's condition for moral death, not immoral to murder someone in their sleep.

Ah! Brilliant argument. I am trully baffled. so how can we possibly say something is "killable"?? Is it wrong to kill a rock then? It is not alive.
But the zygote never had any conscious recognition of such sensations, if any. Also, it does not have the ability to think on its own. It is certainly "killable" though. Cells die everyday in our bodies. So how is a zygote any different?
Also, what is the rate of supply of stem cells in the zygote? Are there an infinite supply?

Additionally, perhaps a more fair condition for the value of human life would be potential. It complicates things, for sure, but when we boil it down, death seems to be the loss of potential.

cookiemonster
Or the absence of potential?

POTENTIAL is extremely vital! Thank you cookiemonster! This is certianly a prominent embellishment for our basis on defining "when life begins".

Someone said (I don't know who, and I haven't the time to look right now) that there is no instant where life begins. True, then it must occur in a gradual basis. Could it only be 1/7 alive then?

SquareItSalamander said:
I said it would DECREASE suffering, it would make the world a little bit more peaceful.
I can't say what others will think, but I can tell you what I would think.
This person is really over-selling his position by saying it will help promote world peace.
It would call your credibility into question for me, at least.
It will likely make me think that you don't have much of a validn argument, so you feel the need to bolster your position by stretching the facts and/or it would make me question the validity of the rest of your claims.

SquareItSalamander said:
I shouldn't ignore an important opposing argument just because it will challenge me greatly. In fact, if my arguments are flawed, I should know about it.
It has nothing to do with your argument being flawed.
It is akin to arguing whether or not God or the soul exists in your 3 minute speech about the value of religion.
You will not likely convince any of your audience to change their views on whether or not these things exist with a short monologue.
(if you don't believe me read some of the give and take about when life starts on this thread.)
So, rather than being inefficient with your limited alotted time, you should focus on point that you CAN convince people of and things you have some hope on swaying them over.
Recognize what battles you can and can not win in order to win the war.
If you have little to no hope of saving this one front, do you send another 20,000 soldiers there to die and ignore all the other fronts?
Or do you focus more of your time and resources on what you CAN do in order to win?
Idealism does not win debates, pragmatism does.

SquareItSalamander said:
Opinion can at times be proved wrong. I could say that it is my opinion that E does not equal mc2, but as you know that is not true. E does =mc2 . Even then, we should see if it is possible to dictate the validity of this matter (that you mentioned in the quote above) as being classified an opinion or a differing hypothesis.
That has nothing to do with this at all.
Dis Einstein chamge millions of people's minds by simply making a 3 1/2-minute speech?
No, he spent yars researching then spand many more years championing his efforts.
Beyond that, E=mc2 is something that is verifiable and falsifiable.
When exactly life begins is not and will likely never be.
Try convincing a Bible-thumper that God does not exist with a 3 1/2-minute speech, what will happen?
However, if you do not dwell on the existence of God, you may have a shot at convincing him that Evolution IS a reality, by using verifiable facts and sound arguments.

SquareItSalamander said:
A short debate will at least help those involved get a more educated opinion about the subject. That is the purpose.
Exactly.
So prostelytizing your opinion will not do that at all.
Supporting your argument with valid and supportable facts will.
It will also help you win (which is the other half of the point when debate is viewed as a sport).

SquareItSalamander said:
As you may know, it was once belived that the Earth was the center of the universe. This was promoted, and made into fact based on the religious community's belief that the bible says so. They came to this conclusion because of the scripture which states that the sun stood still in the sky. To them, this indicated the Earth was the center. This was a religiously motivated idea. It was later proven wrong of course. "Religious Dogma" as you call it should not deter scientific exploration.
Again, this has nothing to do with the case at hand.
We are talking again about verifiable science.
Besides, did Copernicus convince the world of this in a speech?
No, it took millenia.

SquareItSalamander said:
You mean, I should change my focus away from the most prominent opposing argument?? This is a persuasive speech. I should be able to convince people that their opposing argument about how stem cell research promotes murder of unborn children is wrong. That is the sole point of my essay, and I'm sure the sole point of the essay should be addressed.
Try and think of it like a lawyer.
The more time and effort you put into an argument that you couldn't possibly win on facts alone. the more it looks like you need to and the more it looks like you know that your oponent has a good argument.
By simply discounting it as opinion (which it is) and demonstrating that there is no scientific evidence to back up the "Immoral" argument (which there isn't) in your opening statement, you already deflated all the arguments they had by untying their baloon right off the bat and completely disarm them.
If you simply, concisely and convincingly show that the "Immoral" argument is vague, unsupportable, unverifiable and nothing more than unsubstantiated abstract morality with no basis in fact then you force them to rely on reason, of which they have little to none.
Do this right, and you are a shoe in.
It's like lifting up the curtain on the Wizard of Oz.
Once you take the power of vague baseless opinion and emotional reaction from them, you expose that they have no REAL power, just bells and whistles.

SquareItSalamander said:
Shouldn't I delfate my opponent's argument?
I meant deflating in rebuttal if your opponent finds away to bring it up around your initial deflation.
If you do your initial deflation right, then your opponent will not find a way around it that you wouldn;t be able to discount with a smirk and an "I told you so".

Again.
This is just what I would do.

You have little to no chance of convincing someone that they are wrong on when they think life begins.
What I would focus my efforts on is what IS possible.
Convincing them that the issue of Stem Cell Research is not contingent upon when life starts.
If you do that, you take their biggest argument out from under them.

How do you propose I convince people that stem cell research isn't murder, that it doesn't have anything to do with when life begins?

SquareItSalamander said:
How do you propose I convince people that stem cell research isn't murder, that it doesn't have anything to do with when life begins?
Couple of points. First we don't know whether morality has an absolute basis or not. Perhaps moral are relative and just social constructs, perhaps not. Many people (not all of them theists) argue that a system of human morality is entailed by our ontology, by the nature of the universe if you like.

Secondly it was said in the first post that an appeal to morality was the best argument against stem cell research. This is not necessarily true. Some people would argue that an appeal to common sense and our long-term self-interest is a far stronger argument against our interference in evolutionary processes.

PHP:
[PLAIN]http://www.nhnscr.org/
[/PLAIN] Read[/URL] this.[/PHP]http://www.nhnscr.org/[/PHP]

Does this indicate that there is a stem cell source in the brain?

I found another article in Health Day news (but I can't find it now) which indicated that this was true.

Last edited by a moderator: