Particles That Flock: Aczel's Scientific American Article

• Thread starter gendou2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particles
In summary, the article discusses the discovery of a new phenomenon called "flocking" in particle collisions, where a large number of particles (> 110) are produced in a collision. This phenomenon is not seen in jets, which produce short-range correlations between particles in a similar direction. The article also mentions previous research on "flocking" and provides a link to a technical article on the subject.
gendou2
"Particles that Flock"

Aczel had an interesting article in Scientific American this month:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=particles-that-flock

The article doesn't go into much detail, but I found it odd that the phenomena only occurs when a large number of particles (> 110) are produced in a collision.

I wonder how they ruled out Jets from hadronization? Maybe the energies are too low.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_(particle_physics)

Has anyone seen any technical articles on the subject?

Physics news on Phys.org

Wow, science journalism is frustrating. The least they could do is link to the paper (see Vanadium's link, or equivalently http://arxiv.org/abs/arXiv:1009.4122). If I wasn't already familiar with it, I would have no idea what they were talking about.

gendou2 said:
The article doesn't go into much detail, but I found it odd that the phenomena only occurs when a large number of particles (> 110) are produced in a collision.

Yes, and note that these are fairly rare events. Normally there are an order of magnitude fewer particles produced. It also only shows up in a particular range of transverse momentum, which is also interesting.

gendou2 said:
I wonder how they ruled out Jets from hadronization? Maybe the energies are too low.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_(particle_physics)

The reason it's so interesting is that it can't be generated from jets. It's not clear in the article, but the correlation in question is between pairs of particles emitted at the same azimuthal angle, but at very different angles with respect to the beam. Jets produce short-range correlations between particles that all go in a similar direction (as well as correlations from back-to-back jets for particles coming out in opposite azimuthal directions.) That's what I would call "flocking", rather than the "ridge" correlation that they seem to be talking about in this article, which is quite different.

Thanks Vanadium, the_house!

No, that's totally different.

1. What are particles that flock?

Particles that flock are a type of collective behavior exhibited by small particles, such as bacteria or birds, where they move in a coordinated manner without a centralized leader. This behavior is also known as swarming or swarming behavior.

2. How do particles flock?

The exact mechanisms behind particle flocking are still being studied, but it is generally believed that individual particles follow simple rules, such as aligning themselves with their neighbors or moving towards a perceived center of mass. These rules can lead to emergent behaviors, such as flocking, without the need for a central controller.

3. What are the potential applications of particle flocking?

Particle flocking has potential applications in various fields, including robotics, computer science, and biology. For example, studying particle flocking can lead to the development of more efficient algorithms for swarm robotics or improved understanding of bacterial behavior.

4. How is particle flocking related to other collective behaviors?

Particle flocking is just one example of collective behavior, which also includes other phenomena such as schooling and herding. These behaviors share similar underlying principles, such as local interactions and emergent behaviors, but differ in the specific rules and behaviors exhibited by the individuals.

5. What does the Scientific American article by Aczel discuss about particle flocking?

The Scientific American article by Aczel delves into the history and current research surrounding particle flocking, including the various theories and experiments that have been conducted to understand this phenomenon. It also discusses the potential applications and implications of studying particle flocking in different fields.