Understanding Elementary Charge: Electrons Transferred and Direction of Movement

In summary, the problem involves two identical objects, one with a positive charge of 0.02 C and the other neutral. Using the formula Q=ne, the number of electrons transferred from one object to the other can be calculated. However, it is also possible to determine that the charge will distribute equally on both objects, resulting in a charge of 0.01 C on each and a transfer of electrons from the positively charged object to the neutral one.
soso
Elementary Charge- NEED HELP!

Object 1, a conductor with a positive charge og 0.02 C is brought into contact with an identical neutral object 2.

How many electrons move from one object to the other and in which direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please post your questions here, in the homework help forum. Also, please provide the work you've done so far, so that we can help you get unstuck.

What do you think of this problem?

- Warren

My Work..

I know that we need to use the formula Q=ne and we have the value for Q (0.02C). We can also use teh constant for e which is 1.60 * 10 6 -19 ... i do not know the signs of teh two values... Please tell me if i am on the right path.. and help me solve the problem.. Thank you.

Forget the formulas. You know the charge will distribute itself equally on both objects, since they are identical.

- Warren

?

So.. the charge will be 0.01C on both and electrons will be transferred from #1 to #2...?

Bingo.

- Warren

What is the elementary charge?

The elementary charge is the electric charge carried by a single proton or electron, and has a value of approximately 1.602 x 10^-19 coulombs.

Who discovered the elementary charge?

The concept of elementary charge was first introduced by physicist Robert Millikan in 1909 through his famous oil drop experiment.

What is the significance of the elementary charge in physics?

The elementary charge is an important fundamental constant in physics and is used to calculate the strength of electromagnetic forces between particles.

How is the elementary charge related to other fundamental constants?

The elementary charge is closely related to the Planck's constant, the speed of light, and the fine structure constant, which all play crucial roles in the study of quantum mechanics.

Can the elementary charge be changed or manipulated?

No, the elementary charge is a fundamental constant of nature and cannot be changed or manipulated by any known means. It is a universal constant that is the same throughout the entire universe.