Particles Making Path in Smoke Chamber

In summary, a smoke chamber device can be filled with smoke and a "ray" would pass through the chamber and carve out a path in the smoke.
dimensionless
I was talking to a friend the other day and they were telling me about some smoke chamber device. Apparently a 10 gallon chamber can be filled with smoke and some kind of "ray" would pass through the chamber and carve out a path in the smoke.

Does anyone know anything about this? Do you know what kind of ray my friend was talking about? Does this smoke chamber device have a name?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure it was a "smoke chamber" and not a "cloud chamber"?

Zz.

I would think that your friend saw a Cloud Chamber
it's really easy to build. check this page

http://w4.lns.cornell.edu/~adf4/cloud.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure he meant smoke chamber. He told me that they all had to smoke cigars in order to fill up the chamber.

Is it possible that the same effect might be observed with smoke?

Last edited:
Well, I'm not sure.
The cloud chamber works by supercooled alcohol vapor that condenses when a particle passes through the chamber leaving a trail of droplets.

I don't see how this i possible with smoke. I'm not saying it is impossible,but i haven't heard about it before.

Are we simply talking about a ray of visible light (ordinary or laser) scattering off smoke particles in a chamber ?

Curious3141 said:
Are we simply talking about a ray of visible light (ordinary or laser) scattering off smoke particles in a chamber ?

Both set ups would require that the smoke or cloud be illuminated by visible light.

kaabdalis said:
Well, I'm not sure.
The cloud chamber works by supercooled alcohol vapor that condenses when a particle passes through the chamber leaving a trail of droplets.

I don't see how this i possible with smoke. I'm not saying it is impossible,but i haven't heard about it before.

It might work under the same basic principles with smoke. Rather than condensing into liquid, the particles would condense into some other material such as soot.

Maybe it was a bubble chamber he was talking about?

How does a bubble chamber differ from a cloud chamber? Thanks

Bubble Chambers

i was looking around on the inernets and i saw something really cool. I can't find much on information according to this mabey you can help. How do bubble chambers work exaculy. Also i want a video if you can find one thankyou

I'm going to merge this with a pre-existing thread. Maybe someone will respond and kill all the birds with one stone.

Zz.

Edit: Merge completed.

It wouldn't be anything like an Ionization Smoke Detector would it?

Related to Particles Making Path in Smoke Chamber

1. What is a smoke chamber?

A smoke chamber is a controlled environment used to study the behavior of particles in smoke. It typically consists of a sealed chamber filled with smoke, and various instruments to measure and analyze the movement of particles within the smoke.

2. How do particles move in a smoke chamber?

Particles in a smoke chamber move due to a process called diffusion, which is the random movement of particles from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. This movement is influenced by factors such as air flow, temperature, and the size and shape of the particles.

3. What is the purpose of studying particles in a smoke chamber?

Studying particles in a smoke chamber allows scientists to understand the behavior of particles in different conditions, such as in the presence of pollutants or in different air flow patterns. This information can then be used to develop better air filtration systems and improve our understanding of air pollution.

4. How are particles measured in a smoke chamber?

Particles in a smoke chamber are typically measured using instruments such as laser particle counters, which use light scattering to detect and count particles of different sizes. Other methods include using filters to collect particles, and then analyzing them under a microscope.

5. Can smoke chambers simulate real-world conditions?

Smoke chambers are designed to simulate specific conditions, such as air flow patterns or pollutant concentrations, but they may not fully replicate real-world environments. However, they provide valuable insights and data that can be used to inform and improve real-world situations.